Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 11:05 AM

5 posts, read 19,938 times

Advertisements

Everyones info was a great help! Thank you very much!!! I have just moved this past weekend to a house in Peoria Heights! Also just got a teaching job at a daycare....couldn't have all worked out any better. Again, thanks so much for all the input...it helped me greatly!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,252,946 times
Congrats! I think you will like Peoria Heights as it is convenient (4 miles) to just about everything you will need. Glen will take you to both malls and several restaurants. Lake will take you to two of the larger shopping centers with grocers and stores in each. .

Old 04-03-2011, 12:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,179 times
Hello, I have lived in the Peoria area all my life and am looking to purchase my first home. I attended Bradley University. However, I grew up in the Dunlap area, which is very safe, low crime, and good schools.

Unfortunately, my price limit for buying my home really seems to disqualify most of the surrounding towns, and I am not interested in anything east of the river. I would prefer to live in the limits of Peoria, but even though I grew up in this area, I am really not familiar with the neighborhoods in Peoria.

I recently was under contract to purchase a house on Frink St, off of Columbia Terrace, but the deal fell through. Many people I work with were very worried for me and convinced that this area was far too dangerous for me. After driving by several times, I can see why many would think that, as there are many houses further down the street towards Main that are low-income rental properties in really bad shape and some shady characters lurking outside.

A house recently went up for sale on N Machin Ave, which is again off of Columbia terrace, but north rather than turning towards Main. The street looks infinitely better and more taken care of, and the houses are landscaped nicely, clean, and maintained. The Columbia Terrace North Neighborhood Association president lives directly across the street from this house. I am basically trying to get a feel for how safe this area would be for me and my 1 year old son. I already realize the schools are poor and failing, but I am not planning on being in this house for more than 5 years. I do work second shift, and some nights I would not be arriving home until 12:30. I guess I need anyone's input who is familiar with this area, because from my understanding, University East is an iffy neighborhood, but in Peoria, mere blocks or streets can make a big difference in safety. The reason I am not seeing anything that would fit my budget further North is because I really need 3 bedrooms for when my brother stays with us to shorten his commute to ISU during the fall semester, and anything that is in my price range further north seems to be the size of a cracker box (750 sq ft or under).

Old 04-04-2011, 12:23 AM

23 posts, read 92,504 times
What's your price range? This may not be the ideal place for you with your situation, but there are far worse neighborhoods to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kk1987 View Post
Hello, I have lived in the Peoria area all my life and am looking to purchase my first home. I attended Bradley University. However, I grew up in the Dunlap area, which is very safe, low crime, and good schools.

Unfortunately, my price limit for buying my home really seems to disqualify most of the surrounding towns, and I am not interested in anything east of the river. I would prefer to live in the limits of Peoria, but even though I grew up in this area, I am really not familiar with the neighborhoods in Peoria.

I recently was under contract to purchase a house on Frink St, off of Columbia Terrace, but the deal fell through. Many people I work with were very worried for me and convinced that this area was far too dangerous for me. After driving by several times, I can see why many would think that, as there are many houses further down the street towards Main that are low-income rental properties in really bad shape and some shady characters lurking outside.

A house recently went up for sale on N Machin Ave, which is again off of Columbia terrace, but north rather than turning towards Main. The street looks infinitely better and more taken care of, and the houses are landscaped nicely, clean, and maintained. The Columbia Terrace North Neighborhood Association president lives directly across the street from this house. I am basically trying to get a feel for how safe this area would be for me and my 1 year old son. I already realize the schools are poor and failing, but I am not planning on being in this house for more than 5 years. I do work second shift, and some nights I would not be arriving home until 12:30. I guess I need anyone's input who is familiar with this area, because from my understanding, University East is an iffy neighborhood, but in Peoria, mere blocks or streets can make a big difference in safety. The reason I am not seeing anything that would fit my budget further North is because I really need 3 bedrooms for when my brother stays with us to shorten his commute to ISU during the fall semester, and anything that is in my price range further north seems to be the size of a cracker box (750 sq ft or under).

Old 06-30-2011, 11:18 PM

30 posts, read 57,329 times
Am actually looking to move to Peoria as I am about to take a job at Bradley University. Money is an issue as I'm not looking to spend anymore than around 120k to purchase a home, 800 a month if I rent a place (and needs to allow pets as we have a yellow lab). I am not real familiar with the area and am going to be expected to move up there fairly quickly from Alabama.

Any help on safe areas to look or ideas for apartments/duplexes/house to rent within the price range I listed above would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2011, 11:58 PM

First of all look to Bradley for housing options. It will take up to 90*days to get in an apartment. w/wo a dog. Few landlords take big dogs. If you have a downpayment and decent credit you can get into a house in about 30 days. The best area to live in is North of War Memorial Driave (US 150). You should be able to buy a house in your price range in Rolling Acres. Access to*Rolling Acres*is off University, US 150 and Northmore. The University exit is a straight shot into Bradley. University and Main is a 1/2 block from the main entrance to the campus. You are also in the best school district in Peoria if your live in Rolling Acres, too. How do I know? My kin teaches in Peoria.

RA is a very nice area of older well mainedtained homes. Many have a garage and basement. It is green area with large mature trees and green yards. RA is within 5 miles of 2 malls, grocery stores, doctor offices, movies, restaurants, the largest park district in the state with 10,000 acres, zoo, planetarium, performing arts, auto row, museums, etc..

The religious community is very diverse. So whether you are looking for a small family chuch or mainstream large church or something else you should be able to find it. Peoria also has 3 times more physcians than the national average, seasonal farmer's market, a non-traditional holistic community, a children's hospital and some other surprises.

The grocer tax is 1%; state income tas is 5.?% Real estate tax is obnoxious; it will probably be around $2k. County living is cheaper but you will spend a lot of money on gas. Do NOT live near a park. Parks are beautiful, but you pay a Park Tax in Peoria.

Bartonville is a very decent place to live, too. But, you will be driving up and down some ice hills in the winter.

If you are a hunter, there are special rules on how to transport weapons in Illinois. There is NO Smoking within 15 feet or any public building. There is also Scott's Law. There is a new NO CELL PHONE in ANY SCHOOL ZONE law recently passed. The vehicle tags are $100.00 to put IL plates on it. Observe the speed laws; fines are expensive.

Ameren is the lights and gas. AT&T is landline, Interent, cell phone. Comcast is Cable and Internet. Cable Internet is faster. You should be able to find Sprint. Verizon, US Cellular and possibly T-Mobile. Sprint and Verizon work best in this area.

Welcome to your new home.

If you have other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the information. Are there particular zip codes to look for with houses? I try to browse on realtor.com or trulia.com a fair amount and it helps in the search if I have certain zip code(s) to look for.

Also, does anyone happen to know anything about Bradford Woods apartments? I have found that they seem to allow a max of 2 pets and our breed of dog is not on the restrictions list, so it sounds like it could be an option for renting initially if anyone knows more about it that would be helpful.

Thanks again!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Zip code 61614 and higher

Please understand how it works. After you sign the allpication, pay the deposit plus money to start an investigation into your past life, you wait. You wait for approval which can be two months or*longer; then you wait for an empty unit. If you do not wait for*an empty unit then either the complex is brand new or it is a dog that is losing tenants.

Bradley to Rolling acres is about seven miles plus nine stoplights. If you get really unlucky and stop at every light It will take more than 30 minutes to get into Bradley. You can also use Sterling to Gale to Forest Hill to University for less lights. Or Sterling to Farmington Road to Main to Bradley. If you live in 61614 or above in Peoria, Univeristy is the most direct router to the campus.
It is a major 5-lane street.

Peoria traffic is well routed throughout the city. Accidents cause major traffic snarls. University is one of those main routes that you can leave every block -- which translates into moving away from an accident scene reather than waiting for police to direct traffic.
The City of West Peoris is a very small enclave inside the City of Peoria that is probably less than two*miles to*campus. West Rohman I believe is the main street. It is a desirable*address and a safe area, but it is not a desirable area*to raise children unless you home school.The area that surrounds West Peoria can be sketchy. WP is not far from the intersection fo Main and Western.

The Village of Peoria Heights is also surrounded by Peoria. It too is a desirable address. Unlike WP it has its own K-12 school system seperate from the Peoria School District. Depending upon*where you live it can be an extra 4-10 miles to campus. It is an excellent trade-off if you have children. Not so much if don't see children in your future. Either way it is a very nice location.

The real bottom line on vehicles is this. Peoria traffic flow during rush hour is slower than at other times but is nothing like Atlanta or Chicago. Winter driving on ice and snow is a pain and ti can be dangerous. It is not unusal for the Peoria area to have plenty of it. Streets*in Illinois are cleared in a certain order. Major Federal, State and City are cleared first. Then the major intersetions are cleared. Main county roads are cleared last. Then come *side* streets; maybe. The moral of this story is this Locaion is everything. The closer you are to a major artery, the easier it will be for you to get to campus and home.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:15 PM

Is West Nebraska Ave in West Peoria a safe area? I am seeing what appear to be some quality houses on or around that street at a very reasonable price, but am thinking that they are only that price due to the neighborhood.

As for kids, we don't have any kids and really have no plans for kids, so school districts are not a major issue to us.

Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 PM

I would not live there. McClure is no prize either. Gale used to be sketchy. Parts of Sterling are questionable. I am going to send you a Direct Message (DM) in a bit.

To retrieve it look in the upper*right corner under your name. Click on "Your Notification." The nember after it is the number of messages waiting for you to read.

In the meantme these are Peoria companies with apartments and houses. .

Peoria Homes for Rent in Peoria, IL | DexKnows.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois