Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 10:11 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,081 times

Advertisements

I just got kicked off of the Internet due to the Internet traffic jams in our hometown of Wheaton. So I will try this again.
It is also important to consider the parkinig costs at NIU. To park on campus, it will cost about $80 - $85 per year. To avoid this, consider renting an apartment - - perhaps "West Ridge Apartments". Then you can use the NIU 'free' bus service back to the NIU campus. I have mentioned about this apartment complex in a previous thread to everyone. KISHWAUKEE parking is 'free' but NIU is not - - if you bring your own car or motorcyle onto the campus. The NIU campus parking is hectic at best and there are no 'free' spots to park. More later.

Best Regards,

CARTER GLASS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2007, 06:59 AM

Default New Subdivision At Cortland, Illinois

Hello Again Pam:

This is Saturday morning and we are planning to visit my son's house in Cortland, IL. There is a brand new subdivision located in Cortland and it is called "Richland Trails". It is right across the street from NeuCort Lakes. However, the NeuCort Lakes picture on "www.cortlandil.org" does not include its picture. That's because it wasn't started when the picture was taken.
Currently, a Google search does not turn up info about Richland Trails. So it may be hidden on a website under Neumann Homes for example. Perhaps I can find out the website of Richland Trails, today.

Best Regards,

CARTER GLASS

Old 07-21-2007, 07:18 AM

17 posts, read 52,654 times
Default Good Morning, Howell

This weekend is busy as usual, but I just wanted to mention that I am specifically interested in NIU's law school. They have a four year program rather than a typical 3 year program. It'll cost more money for me to attend, but at least I'll have some time for my family. Thanks so much for looking into this. I'll write more in a couple of days.

Pam

Old 07-21-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Perhaps Some Past courses are not transferable

Hi Pam:

As my son discovered, some out of state courses cannot be transferred. So if general courses are required at NIU, then Kishwaukee is a very good source.
I discovered the website of "Richland Trails". It is owned by Cambridge Homes "www.mycambridgehome.com" but when you go to that site, it is linked to another. Be patient with that and you will find Richland Trails. The initial prices advertised at Richland started around $180K but there is so much competition in Dekalb area housing, it is difficult to know the current prices.

CARTER GLASS

Old 07-22-2007, 06:43 AM

Default Time Running Out For Cortland Or Maple Park

Hello Pam:

Would you graciously permit me to ask you a question? Do you plan to move to "X" Illinois city and then immediately start your NIU classes? If so, then you only have about five more weeks. My son tells me - - from memory - - that NIU classes start about August 27. That does not give you much time to resettle to where-ever you wish.
There are a number of new and very nice subdivisions in both Cortland, IL and Maple Park, IL. It would seem to me that the best way to decide is to make a visit there. I know this is difficult from your North Arizona location, but a personal visit with your family seems the only way.

Best Regards,

CARTER GLASS

Wheaton, IL &
Cortland, IL

Old 07-22-2007, 11:33 PM

17 posts, read 52,654 times
Hello Howell,

In answer to your question, I have to say that there seems to be a certain chronology of events that have to occur before I can attend NIU. First, our home needs to sell. Because we are in a resort/retirement community, the only time of year our home would sell is in the summer and that time is running out. Therefore, we may not sell until next summer. Secondly, I need to take the LSAT. Next, I need to apply to several law colleges (I may discover at this time that I need to take additional classes to get into law school) NIU is one I am most interested in. We can move at any time during this process. Finally, I need to wait until my son is old enough to go to school so that I will have time to take classes and do my homework. Right now he is 4 yrs. old. He will turn 5 next May, but his academic skills are already quite good and may be able to start this Fall if we move by that time. If we move by this fall, I will still want to spend some time in our new home "nesting." This involves painting the interior, arranging furniture, adjusting routines, getting to know a neighbor or two, and getting to know my in-laws. Frankly, it takes me about 5 years to feel settled (though I am not waiting that long to attend school!) With so much to do, I don't think it is realistic to plan on attending NIU by this fall. Additionally, I believe that I would have to live in IL. for 6m - 1yr. to qualify for the less expensive in-state tuition.

As for homes, I've been looking at Sugar Grove, Maple Park, Cortland (the ones you brought to my attention at Richland Trails.) All of these towns have homes that are within our price range. My husband prefers older, more established neighborhoods and while we've talked about condos, I think we are going to try to get an older house with some character. As much as I have looked on the internet to gather info. so that we can make a decision from here, I agree with you that we'll have to see these towns personally before making a decision.

Thank you for your information, Pam

Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Permanent Email Communication?

Good Morning, Pam:

I was assuming that you were about ready to move and attend NIU. So that is my error. It would be more easy, if, in the future, we knew each other's email address. In that manner, if you or your husband have a question about NIU or its surrounding areas, you would always have a means of communication. This City Data Forum is very nice, but difficult to maintain a permanent friendship with a given family.
I think I have figured out your snail mail address as being at Mormon Lake, Arizona. If that is correct - - and you would have to indicate this - - I will send you and your husband a snail mail note as to my correct and personal email address.
Since I am quite new to this forum, I do not understand the rules about advertising. So that is quite a limitation (to me) in describing what is available to you in the greater Chicagoland area. That's all for now.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois