Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 11:52 AM

185 posts, read 399,704 times

Advertisements

Well I was just looking through the "Rural Kentucky photo" thread and came over to check out if Illinois had one. Found an "images of IL" thread but not one for specifically rural photos. So start posting your rural IL pictures and if possible let us know the location. If this catches on maybe we can get it "sticky'd".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 06:49 PM

51 posts, read 115,401 times

Hello All,

A little off original intent of thread, but am posting a home-made "composite pic" of a rural heating business some friends of my Grandparents had back in 1969-70 in an old Sinclair gas-station building next door to their home.

I don't remember their name or nearby city and am hoping that someone here may recognize it... It is most likely within a 90-mile radius of Canton, IL where my folks are from...

Thanks much for your help !

John

Old 01-07-2016, 01:31 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,247,739 times
Hi John,

Back in the 70s there was a white building similar to this between Frmington Road and Pottstown Deli. I don't remember any houses. I remember the building because it is white and neat. It is also a very heavily wooded area. But so is theentie area from Canton to Farmington Road.

Did you ever ask the main Peoria Library to do a telephone search for all Sinclair gas stations in the Peoria area. This is as far northeast as Chillicothe, as far northwest as Brimfield, and as far southwest as Glasford. The Fulton County Library in Lewiston and a newer library in Canton.

The Tazewell County Library is in Pekin. This library has a tone of old history cf residents in membership books. So does Fulton County. Its records go back to the 1800s.

Old 01-07-2016, 06:40 PM

Hello Linicx,

Thanks for your response---we corresponded a few times on this search several years ago...

Yes, I sure have---have visited both the Peoria & Pekin libraries multiple times as well as contacted libraries and genealogical societies in other areas further out within search radius.

From what I remember of equipment in building, think they specialized in commercial hydronic (hot-water) heating. Their home with detached 2-car garage was next door to the left if viewed from the road. Have searched old phone directories (where available) for heating businesses, too, from late '60's to early '70'. It's very possible that the area was developed and their place no longer exists...

I've been at this search for years without any luck even remembering what county it's in. The place itself I remember clearly enough to almost "walk into it"... Am sure hoping someone will run across this and either recognize it or show it to other older folks who might...

Thanks again !
John

Old 01-07-2016, 09:13 PM

Yeah, we've been doing this awhile haven't we? I believe the Pottstown Deli folks moved to the Metro Center in Peoria. Going North on University it is the last stoplight on your right before Glen. If you look forward and can see Subway you are at the correct light. I am an older senior. It is possible there is someone in this deli who remembers that road and he buildings on it. Did you try the Peoria Historical Society? .

Assuming you know the nmes of your grandparents, and assuming they owned the station and didn't just rent it.... It is quite possible you can find it by their business tax records and personal tax records. I found my gg.grandfather through a genealogical search of bank records performd by the state via the Jessie White Office (state repositories) Tazewell County records are in Western University at Macomb. Peoria records are either in EIU or at SIU in southern Illinois. .

To do this you must know something about your grandparents. The Death Certificate provides the full name, date of birth and death, and the last known address. You can buy the DC from the Illinois Dept of Health in Springfield. Go and fill out the form and pay them. A report will be mailed to you. It will be the first step in a long journey.

Old 01-08-2016, 06:41 PM

Hello Linicx,

The people who had heating business in the old gas-station building were friends of my Grandparents and just can't remember their name or location of their place since I was last there as a child. The memories from that visit have become vivid, though (except for the trip to & from)... Am hoping that they may still be alive since they were somewhat younger, but as the years fly by chances are getting slim... Would be great to talk about those old days...

I would like to get that picture and info on as many sites as possible that might be viewed by someone in area who'd recognize it. Have sent it via e-mail to several older HVAC businesses and libraries within search area, but most don't even respond...

Are there other on-line sites in Illinois I might not know of on which I could post this ?

John

Old 01-08-2016, 09:33 PM

Do I undertnd you correctly tht you do not know your grandparents names? Once we get this we can go into the Peoria library old phonebook whiepaes. The other possibility is Newberry in Chicago. It is one of the best research libraries in the nation. I don't know if you know the Peoria County footprint as it relates to the phonebook. It extends from hear the Pekin Bridge on Rt.9 northeast to the Lacon border. It extends NW through Broomfield to Knox County. The Peoria Phonebook holds names for Peoria, Peoria Heigts, West Peoria, Peoria County, Brimfield, Bartonville, Mossville, Chillicothe, Dunlap. When you go back to the sixties you'll find East Peoria, Washington, Sunnyland, Beverly Manor, Spring Bay, Radio City, and Glassford names and numbers too. Eureka and Metamora, Canton, plus Pekin, Morton, South Pekin and Marquette Heights were in seperate phonebooks. You will ultimately be in four libraryies looking at phonegbooks.

Old 01-08-2016, 10:02 PM

I do know my Grandparents names.

I don't remember their friends' names---the only clue to these friends' identity is the memory of their business described above...

My Grandparents have passed away and would like to find these friends...

Old 05-12-2016, 06:39 PM

Still hoping that the above composite pic will stir the memory of someone here... Maybe their parents or grandparents since this is from 1969-70 ???

Thanks very much for sharing this with anyone who might be able to help !

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois