Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,078 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Illinois from Pennslyvania and am looking for housing. What areas are known for drugs so I can avoid them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 10:18 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,169,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNew1 View Post
I just moved to Illinois from Pennslyvania and am looking for housing. What areas are known for drugs so I can avoid them?
Where in Illinois did you move to? I'm assuming you're along the Illinois River near La Salle or Peru?

Old 12-30-2016, 06:40 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurama93 View Post
Really what is wrong with LaSalle?
I know I did not have the best of experiences, more with bullying and other school problems, at Lincoln Jr. High, and I know it seems that they had more than I thought normal in fights, bullying, etc.

As for the town, it's mostly fine. Was told that being around the housing area isn't the best, but I don't think you'll get shot there or anything. Another part that seems worn down is the downtown, particularly on the east side. LP Township High School is good though. It's better than Hall in Spring Valley, which doesn't have the best reputation. Lincoln Jr. High is the least, shall we say, up to date, though it does have AC. (We did have another elementary or something but that was many years ago and now I think it's abandoned (and kinda of being run down and too near the housing anyway.) Lincoln hasn't really had major updates that I know of. Northwest has had several, the first time it was when they added K-2 because the old Jackson School was getting a bit worn to be used for schooling. LP has been a bit old too (doesn't have AC in parts of it), but lately they had some kind of referendum or something to raise funds to update it.

What annoys me about the area in general is that most of the jobs being posted around here seem to be RNs, CDL, fast food, retail, etc, at least, that is what seems to go to the top of Indeed. Maybe there are others but I haven't searched for them properly. However, if you have a STEM degree and it's not in science (they do have Cherus Chemical here, so that could have if you have a science degree), but if you have an IT degree, you're kinda gonna be hard pressed to find anything to use it.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:00 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyp41289 View Post
I have lived in Peru all my life (minus the past year and a half I've been away from school) and if going between LaSalle and Peru, I would definitely choose to stay in Peru. The elementary schools are much better than LaSalle's. I went through Peru's grade schools, though most of my teachers have retired since I have been in school, I have worked with many of the teachers recently, as I am going to school to become a teacher, and they are all amazing teachers. The high school brings LaSalle, Peru, Oglesby, Tonica, Dimmick, Lostant, and Utica (it's not as many kids as it sounds, LaSalle and Peru are the only schools that have the possibility of graduating over 100 students from 8th grade), but (for some sports) they have a no cut policy. It's right on the edge of LaSalle and Peru and I loved that school. There also is St. Bede in Peru. It's the only catholic school in the area. As far as safety in Lasalle, to be honest, I do not feel safe being in so me parts of the town too late at night. The only good place to be in LaSalle is north of Shooting Park Road. I grew up south of Rt. 6 in Peru, and I love it. There are a few homes by me that I could definitely do without but I feel safe walking outside and down the street at 1:00 am to go to my neighbor's house if they need anything. During the summer, there are recreation programs that are offered to all of the area schools that take place at Washington Park in Peru. The main company in Peru for gas and stuff is Ameren (sp) but since I still technically live with my parents and won't have my own place for another year back home, I don't know much about that stuff. The stores are great, the Wal-Mart is open 24-7 as well as the grocery store Hy-Vee which is probably the best grocery store in the area (but I'm bias because I've worked there for 6 years). I have relatives that live in Princeton and they do not like it that much, but since they do have kids in the schools they don't want to pull them out of the schools to throw them in with kids they don't know. That's about all I can think of for now, if you have any other questions, I'll keep checking back to see if I can answer them! Hope this helps
Shooting Park Road is in Peru. I think you mean 11th Street. I do agree that the downtown seems less pleasant the further south you go. However, I also think that, generally, though I could be wrong, that it's better on the west side of Joliet St. than the east side.

The north side is ok, though there are some poorer sections, such as the housing around the now-abandoned old Matthesen school.

Hy-vee was good, though my parents didn't like it as much after the remodeling and also think it's too expensive now. (They used to shop there a lot.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois