Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 02:00 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

It is lovely idea but the suggestion is not very practical. Kids go to school and they want to play with friends. I was raised with guns, I like most guns and I am not opposed to cc, either. What I am opposed to is unsecured guns where children can access them and I will tell you why.

This was a story in local paper (not Illinois). A foster family had children and they took in a six-year old boy. The father was an avid hunter who was teaching his son to hunt. His unsecured guns were kept in the barn with the ammo. Their 14-year old son was mad because the six-year old would not stop bothering him. He got the gun, loaded it and killed the foster child.

The natural children were removed premanently from their parents. The foster home was dismantled and the parents were arested. The spokeswoman from the DCFS stated "there is no reason to take a gun from a hunter." I am quite sure the parents of the dead child brought a mega-million dollar suit against the state. They should have.

My position is there is no reason to place a troubled foster child in a home where guns and ammunition are not secured. DCFS screwed up big time and since then there has been some big changes in the laws.

You can teach a child to avoid matches and knives and chemicals. What you cannot do is protect your child from irresponsible adults. An unloaded gun cannot fire; it requires ammunition. At the very least the father should have put the ammo under his supervision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkycat View Post
Most homes have unsecured knives, matches, poisonous chemicals. Just keep your children in your own house, under your beady eye (and possibly under lock and key) and you never have to worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 AM

588 posts, read 1,799,412 times
^^^ I completely agree with your point of being responsible. One of the most damaging things to gun rights are gun owners who act in a careless, reckless or negligent manner. For me, I all carry a gun off duty, I also always have a gun within easy reach in the house when I am home. But when I'm not home, other than the gun I carry, ALL my guns are locked in a very secure safe that's bolted to the wall studs that only me and my wife have the combo to. If I have company over that involves small children, the safe is double checked it's locked and the door to the room is locked. Reckless or cavalier firearm safety is one thing that disgusts me.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:53 PM

^^^^ Thank you. My father had the same policy. His guns were unloaded, checked, cleaned and cased after every use and stored behind a locked door. All the ammo was locked in a steel WWII ammo case behind the locked door. Guess where the keys were? With him! He liked Skeet, but the real reason he had guns was to teach his kids to respect them, and to understand the power we had over life and death when we held one. I had no problem with guns in my house when my child's life was in danger, but I never forgot my father's words. "When you kill a person you live with it until you die." The person bothering my daughter left the state compliments of the judge and I've not had a reason to own a gun since. .

You cannot stop crazy people, but you can be aware of your surroundings which is why I take my dog with me on outings. He thinks he's a bully and so do most strangers. I like it that way.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:51 AM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Thank you Peoria!

"A Peoria County judge granted a temporary restraining order to prevent release of a list of Firearm Owner Identification card holders, in a case brought by four members of the association."

Ill. judge rules that FOID card holder list should stay secret

Keep the fight going everyone!

And lets recall Lisa Madigan.

Last edited by tonythetuna; 03-12-2011 at 04:01 AM..

Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 PM

I just read a piece today that said the FOIC ID is still in legislation and not going anywhere very fast. It won't pass the "judge" test.

Last edited by linicx; 03-15-2011 at 08:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois