Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 PM

4 posts, read 9,172 times

Advertisements

This is an informative thread. Anyone doing this, let me know what your progress is. We may be able to help each other. I am looking to do something similar. I would like to build a passive container home 2-3 hours out of Chicago, for a rural retreat. I'm at least a couple years away from buying the land/starting the project. Just doing research now.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:56 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr69 View Post
I live in the w burbs of CHicago. I've always wanted to buy some land somewhere without HOA's and all that garbabe so I can have a car junkyard in my front yard, maybe get a 4wheeler or some toys like that, have bonfires, etc.

I also have an interest in shpping container homes but zoning in my burbs in chicagoland area would never allow this.

Wondering where in IL I could buy cheap land a few acres the cheaper the better. I'd like to either get a mobile home or ideally build a shipping container home.

Woudl also like something relatively close to chicago as in not carbondale. Say within 3 hours so its somwhere I could actually drive down to after work on a friday night.
Fairbury, IL

Old 10-14-2011, 05:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
This is what I perceive one might encounter once the land is purchased. This assuming no city services are involved.
1. Foundation with a crawl space as most utilities are underground.
2. Septic tank, and water well -- which should be separated by at least 50 feet. If you don't you either have the outhouse (if permitted) or an up-flow toiled which is extremeley expensive to unstall.
3. Water pressure tank must be housed and heated due to extreme weather and critters who like to chew on the lines.
4. You'll need a 20-25' pole for lights and phone. providing it is available. Then you may have to pay to bring it from the road to the pole, Then you pay the electrician to bring it into your house. You need a place to mount the panel on a wall.
5. Moving it could require a crane - depending upon the weight.
6. Tie-down. If it is mobile it needs to be tied down with steel straps and secured with rebar.
7. You might not be able to get home owners insurance.

An alternative I read about years ago in Mother Earth suggested a berm home. I liked the idea that it was very easy and cheap to heat and cool plus only one side was exposed to weather and you could grow a garden on the roof. The homess I saw*used solar panels. They were lovely

I also read an article about a home built out of used tires.

The last time I looked on the IL websites, some power companies were buying solar power from individual home owners.

If you have time and you can do most of the labor yourself you may have more options than you think.

Old 10-15-2011, 04:28 AM

805 posts, read 1,084,637 times
I think you should check out Forgottonia. What I mean by that is Astoria, Lewistown, Havana, Rushville, Bernadotte...this is God's country out here. You would certainly find rural, cheaper areas like you are looking for and people certainly don't mind seeing 4-wheelers and other stuff lying around.

Old 10-15-2011, 12:58 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
I know this area very well. It is also very hilly, very heavily forested, farmland that will probably not be very cheap. Do check Fulton and Mason County Zoning Laws first.

You should also know Illinois has some peculiar rules about re-builders, new titles and new license plates for a rebuild. Much of this has to do with rebuilding cars bought as salvage, and also bringing in out of state, as opposed to re-building a road worthy old classic vehicle. There is a big difference between Jesse Jame's Monster Garage that was on TV and John Doe's garage at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois