Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:00 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times

Advertisements

If John Deere ever thinks about leaving we really will be in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 08:13 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,100,570 times
So CAT uses temp workers here in Illinois and then when production slows they lay them off
or are they thru a staffng company and the temps get no bennies
NICE- what a bunch of garbage......

So how many people are employed by cat in peoria area>?
What about some real numbers and what is the CEO like is he a good hearted guy
What is life like in Peoria..... How many residents , what encompasses the region

Old 03-27-2011, 08:51 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,526,025 times
That jamoke Pat Quinn just doesn't get it. Today a reporter asked him about the letter and he poo pooed it saying they won't leave. He also said companies like boeing and others are clammoring to come to IL.

The CEO of caterpillar should leave since Pat Quinn isn't taking it seriously.

Sure cat just upgraded facilities and how much are you going to save on taxes per year but IL is a liberal democrat state. It always has been. Its not going to get any better here, if anything its going to get worse. IL just raised taxes but did nothing about pensions so 3 years from now were in the same boat probably worse since IL is still spending.

cat should cut their losses and get out now, IL is going broke and gonnna raise taxes in antoher 3 years since quinn madigan and cullerton continue to be jamokes

Old 03-27-2011, 09:00 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,196 times
I think that the increase in the Illinois income tax is only partly temporary. I think that the 5% is temporary and that it will revert to 4% at some point in the future. 3% is gone for good.

I'm not sure what happened on corporate taxes however and how it effects Caterpillar.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:26 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
So CAT uses temp workers here in Illinois and then when production slows they lay them off
or are they thru a staffng company and the temps get no bennies
Got a link for that?

Old 03-28-2011, 03:39 AM

Interesting ,
If you are from Peoria- I have been attempting to find the count of employees CAT has in your area
How many locations etc.

My grandfather was from South Bend, IN and he was a worker at Studebaker before they closed down - not like CATS scenario but same as the workers were the ones out cold
If i remember i think the govie tried jumping in on that one too.
similar size to Peoria. That city never fully recovered form that closing and to this day when I visit you still see old decayed bldgs in the area. Granted every city has old decaying blds. but when you have a community that size vs a larger metro it kind of stands out among the rest of them.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:41 AM

I picked that up either on this discussion or one from the chicago tribune
under the business section. might have been chicago sun times .. i have been following this story since this broke out and found it interesting.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:51 AM

from what i have read Illinois Corporations are only taxed on goods sold in Illinois
So If Cat sells goods to a company in CHina or a company in Utah . they are not taxed on those goods

only goods sold in Illinois . it would not effect them that much... this is why their argument has been brought up that they find a hard time finding workers or retaining workers paying the 5% state income tax. (which to be honest is lower than Indiana, Wisconsin
I believe Indianas tax is 5% but each and every county has an option tax which can add as much as 3% on top of the 5%.. The way I understand this even with the higher tax its just par with the other states .. this issue really bothered me and I sent out a letter to the governor to voice my concern
his office did send back a good comparison of the taxes and explained how the corporations are taxed only on Illinois goods - this letter arrived at my mailbox over the wknd.. funny how the timing was with the CAT scenario...

Old 03-28-2011, 03:52 AM

where did u find coverage for quinn on this issue relating to CAT

Old 03-28-2011, 03:54 AM

How many does deere employ in Illinois vs CAT in Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois