Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:51 AM

245 posts, read 697,616 times

Advertisements

The income tax is about as temporary as the tolls on I-294. You know, the highway that was supposed to be paid off years ago?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 05:24 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,344,148 times
Interesting article:
2/3 of all businesses in the state do not owe any corporate taxes according to this article. Maybe CAT is one of them?

2 of 3 companies in state owe no taxes - Chicago Tribune

Old 03-28-2011, 05:43 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
When looking at taxes, don't forget that corporate and individual taxes are not paid at the same time. The 1st quarter tax payment, I think is due the end of March. I do not know if corporate and individual real estate taxes are due at the same time or not.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:06 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,525,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Interesting article:
2/3 of all businesses in the state do not owe any corporate taxes according to this article. Maybe CAT is one of them?

2 of 3 companies in state owe no taxes - Chicago Tribune
Your probably really pat quinn disguising yourself with this screen name

Old 03-28-2011, 06:09 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,099,444 times
too funny- Maybe Pat Quinn is trolling these hallowed boards.!!!
Ha I needed a good laugh.
But after listening to WGN today CAT is not leaving visit the web page
Chicago News, Chicago Sports, Traffic and Weather -- wgnradio.com - WGN Radio and there is a podcast of an interview with CATS spokesperson.
Who would have imagined this story developing all weekend. Interesting points across the board
All view points are great and I have enjoyed everyones comments and learned something that i did not know last week. Thanks everybody

Old 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM

CAT does not use only TEMP workers. My ex-SIL has been employed there for nearly 25-years. It has always hired temp employees to fill-in office staff and other positions. Temporary means less than a 40-hour work week. It does not nessarily man a temp worker does not work a 5-day week. CAT is moving from pansion to 401K plans for employees. It is possible - I do not know this for a fact - that some temp workers can contribute to a CAT 401K.

IL minimum wage is more than the federal mandated minimum wage

Do ask Walmart to report the last time it paid a temporary employee any benefit? Lowe's? Trader Joe's? Apple? Microsoft? McDonald's Hardee's? Kohl's? Macy's? How about Kroger Co. Family of Stores (26)? I am pretty sure the answer will be the same across the board.

According to Manta, CAT employs about 1200 in Peoria. Considering the number of different areas where CAT employees work in Peoria County and surrounding areas, I think probably 2500 +/- would be a reasonable number for the four main locations, but I could be mistaken. This does not incude Pontiac or any of the other Illlinois locations.

Illinois is an Ag state, the #1 and #2 producer of beans and corn in the US and it is in the heart of the Livestock and Grain Belt. It has approximately 78,000 farming families, 102 County seats, approximately 13M people, the busiest airport in the world, the largest collection of Frank Lloyd Wright homes and more than one corporate giant. Chicago is the dominate city in the Midwest.

The City of Peoria, excepting Chicagoland, is like every other village, town and city in the state. It is surrounded by farms and ranches. Peoria has not been depended upon industry for a lifeline since the 1800s. The total population of "Peoria" - if you include the two small independent communities that Peoria physically surrounds - is 125,000 +/-. Peoria is one of the oldest, if not the oldest, settlement in the state. People have lived and raised families here for over 200 years. Families were established in what would become Peoria County long before Illinois attained statehood. It is one of the four largest established communities in the state between Chicagao and St. Louis and the largest on the Illinois River.Today Peoria is a medical, busiess and financial hub in Central Illinois. The Port of Peoria exports by water, rail, air and land.

Peoria has an ample supply of restaurants, shopping and entertainment. It is a family town. I think there are far worse places to live and raise a family, but I am biased. Most of the towns the size of Peoria do not offer residents as much bang for the tax dollar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
So CAT uses temp workers here in Illinois and then when production slows they lay them off
or are they thru a staffng company and the temps get no bennies
NICE- what a bunch of garbage.

So how many people are employed by cat in peoria area>?
What about some real numbers and what is the CEO like is he a good hearted guy
What is life like in Peoria..... How many residents , what encompasses the region

Old 03-28-2011, 07:43 PM

CAT may or may not ever leave Illinois entirely as the world headquarters is in Illinois. The question for me is where or not it will continue to build and test in Illinois? Probably not. I think the handwriting is on the wall.

You cannot compare Deere and CAT in any way. Deere is the farm king in the US. CAT is a global leader in earth moving eequipment. CAT does not plow or harvest - although it did dabble briefly in farming a fw years ago with a rubber track.

Once the aftershocks stop in Japan and the nuclear plants are contained, it would not surprise me to see the yellow CAT tractors working side by side with the Kumatsu tractors to help remove the 17 miles of debris and help rebuild the seawalls. It is a job for monster equipment these two giants can provide. However with radioactive ground water, it may be years before it is safe to go into that area to even begin debris removal.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Of course while whining about unions holding companies hostage the union-bashers will have no problem with companies holding states hostage.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:48 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
CAT already has a number of plants in Texas, especially around the Dallas area.
I could see why Dallas might be a good move for the corporate headquarters.

CAT has always had issues with the Peoria airport and the lack of direct flights.
The amount of empty commercial office space around Dallas is incredible and the prices are more than reasonable if they wanted a long-term lease of an entire building or two.
Dallas is a major city with the amenities that attract the types of professional people that CAT needs as engineers, accountants, etc.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:20 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Of course while whining about unions holding companies hostage the union-bashers will have no problem with companies holding states hostage.
Erm, union workers are holding states hostage. Nice attempt at psycho babble deflection on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois