Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 08:55 AM

4,619 posts, read 8,165,755 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to why you'd choose between those two.

I live in Chicago, but was born in Boise and my parents still live near it.

I would think you might actually prefer somewhere in Oregon or Washington State west of the Cascade mountains. If you don't want to live in a big city, but want access to at least a mid-sized one, perhaps a place like Newberg, Oregon, or Salem, Oregon, or Olympia, Washington. None of those are huge, but they're close to either Portland or Seattle for times when you want access to a place with a little more variety or an international airport.

Another option, one that would leave you a shorter flight for trips back to Ireland, would be some place like Rhode Island, Massachusetts or Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,937,653 times
I've lived in both places. They are different as night is from day and I guess it depends on what you like to do. Here's my take:

Outdoor activities - Idaho has B/N beat by a landslide. Skiing, fishing, biking, rafting...all sorts of things. And the scenery out west is spectacular. Five hours to Yellowstone, 4 hours to Jackson Hole.

City life - Idaho wins again. Alive after 5 in the Grove is a great place to be after work. One of the best farmers market I've ever been to. Plenty of bars and restaurants. Hiking trails along the Boise River. B/N gets a little boring and if you want diversity you would have to travel to Chicago.

Winter - I'm a warm weather person and I would take Boise over B/N in a heartbeat. Not much snow in the valley (but the mountains can get over 450"/year) and that which does fall is very light, low moisture snow. Seriously, I used a leaf blower to clear my driveway. That being said, they don't use salt in ID to clear the roads....they use sand. Expect to repair your windshield every 1-2 years.

Summer weather - Boise gets hot but dry. B/N gets hot and humid.

Precipitation - Approx. 11" annually in Boise. Around 37" in B/N.

Air quality - Definitely B/N. Boise gets terrible inversions, especially in the winter.

Cost of Living - property taxes are much cheaper than B/N. Gas about the same. Groceries about the same. For being in a high desert, water in Boise was much cheaper than B/N.

Golf - My passion...B/N has Boise beat by a mile. Courses are readily accessible and inexpensive.

One last thing. Boise is the most remote large city in the U.S. It's a 6 hour drive to everywhere - Portland, Salt Lake City, Spokane, Seattle, Reno.

"Idaho is a very libertarian state with a live-and-let-live attitude." Uhhh, not sure I would say that. Maybe it's that way in Idaho's panhandle but the folks in the Snake River Plain / Treasure Valley are very conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois