Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2011, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 28,646 times

Advertisements

I am a professional that lives in Rockford and I moved here a few years ago. This place is filled with racism and hatred. The school systems are terrible, filled with racism and no one wants to work together. I am moving to the Chicago Suburbs for a better life. It might cost me more, but there will be more to do, less racism and good schools. Please do not move here, but you will become a sad person like me.

Reasons not to live in Rockford:
1) Nothing to do- One mall
2) You have to drive to the city for an eventful life (60 miles away)
3) No support groups or social groups (check meetup.com and you will see what I mean)
4) High taxes
5) High crime
6) Low socioeconomic environment- The statistic website says only 3% of the people are below the poverty line. that is so not true.
7) The West Side- The black people live on the west side and the white people live on the east side. Sounds like the deep south to me.
8) Tons of racism in the Harlem and Rockford schools.
9) Terrible schools- If the local private school can compete with the public schools, you have a problem. You already pay taxes, why spend extra for a good private school? Move to a place where they have great public schools.
10) Racism- Mostly in Machesney Park and Loves Park. If you are looking for racism, move right in.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:34 AM

115 posts, read 231,599 times
I'm not sure I agree with this. I have lived in Rockford for at least four years now and been in and around this city for nearly a decade. Sure, there is a lot of racism, and it has divided the city and even the school system. But to be fair, the racism here borders on classism since it often follows rich/poor. There are a lot of economic problems here. Some of these problems, like so many in Illinois, including Chicago, go to the corruption in politics, the loss of manufacturing jobs, the lack of an educated workforce, and a divisive mentality that touches all races. This isn't just racism, it's more like class warfare. It's also about how a community envisions it's city. What people think in their minds is what the community becomes.

Having said that, I have met and worked with some absolutely wonderful people here. This city has allowed me to pursue my passion of music and teaching and I am able to do both and make a reasonable living. I disagree there isn't anything to do. There is always great music in the clubs and bars, and there are some fantastic restaurants, second only to Chicago. There are lots of summer festivals, numerous state and local parks, and some top notch museums. The only thing hindering doing "stuff" is the awful weather half the year and the terrible condition of the roads. At some point I am planning to leave but at least for now, like it or not, I call this place home. A lot of times the success in being in a place is in how you look at it. I agree, Rockford has a lot of challenges that are not unusual for Rust Belt cities, but it also has some great people and an extraordinary history. What is becomes in the future is up to the people who live here.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:15 AM

181 posts, read 435,583 times
CheapTrick is from Rockford! I love all of small town Illinois. I do wonder what you mean by racism though. In Kalifornia your a racist if you notice the color of those that commit crimes, so Im wondering what your bar for racism is.

I have never attended a church that actively promoted racism....like our current "leader", do you consider that racism? if you voted for him then you have no room to complain.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:38 PM

I don't think it is racism per se--it can "devolve" into that but really it is "classism"--discrimination based on economic status. What I don't understand about Rockford's racial problems is that the race makeup is about 80% white and 20% black, which shouldn't be enough to fuel such tensions. In a place like Detroit, that is 80% black, I guess I can understand more the racial "fight". I think here, honestly, it is about haves and have nots, and unfortunately that often follows racial lines, although poverty has no boundaries when it comes to race.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:40 AM

5 posts, read 28,646 times
@SocalDream- Your answer was very thought out and absolutely true. Classism is so true and falls down racial lines. I knew that before I moved here. I have never been called then word in the deep south, but four times up here, seen and had confederate flags given to me and just an outright dislike, because I am a black professional man with a well paid salary. When I talked to other professional African Americans, almost every one of them were looking to move, experienced racism and/or were going crazy living here.
@Deadtime- Thank you for proving what the people are like in Rockford. The subject you brought up had nothing to do with the subject we were talking about.

In addition, Lavonne Sheffield, Rockford Superintendent, is resigning today. She may have rocked some boats and been pushy on some subject, but nothing she said or did was as true when she said " I didn't know Rockford made racism a science." Everyone was on her side, until she made that statement.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 PM

I think Rockford can be a diverse place but there are so many problems flying around that blame is everywhere. I think the racism you describe is a combination of blue collar/working class mentality plus the economic disparities, and segregation, that happen in Rockford. Many Rockfordites do not value education and that hurts this town, and hurts attitudes. This can go all ways.

I have heard the rumors about the school superintendant. Honestly, I am not sure everybody was on her side to start and she may have some of her own issue to deal with. I just don't know. Unfortunately the school system is very broken since the law suit in the 1990's and racism, going all ways, comes into play in a place where it should not. It hurts the kids of all colors and creeds, and it makes this town not so great to live in.

Having said that, there are always true stories of everyday tolerance. Rockford is a "small big town" as I like to say. I see people at the grocery store saying hello to each other and not pulling the racial--or classism--thing. I am white but we have black neighbors who are such great people that if they moved we probably would too. I have worked with musicians that share music freely across racial lines. So, I guess look for the good while you are here but recognize the bad too, and unfortunately, we sometimes have to take them both together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Floridian View Post
@SocalDream- Your answer was very thought out and absolutely true. Classism is so true and falls down racial lines. I knew that before I moved here. I have never been called then word in the deep south, but four times up here, seen and had confederate flags given to me and just an outright dislike, because I am a black professional man with a well paid salary. When I talked to other professional African Americans, almost every one of them were looking to move, experienced racism and/or were going crazy living here.
@Deadtime- Thank you for proving what the people are like in Rockford. The subject you brought up had nothing to do with the subject we were talking about.

In addition, Lavonne Sheffield, Rockford Superintendent, is resigning today. She may have rocked some boats and been pushy on some subject, but nothing she said or did was as true when she said " I didn't know Rockford made racism a science." Everyone was on her side, until she made that statement.

Old 12-25-2016, 07:52 PM

903 posts, read 862,286 times
Come over to the 'burbs. The water is nice. An upwardly mobile professional will fit in quite nicely here in the Chicago suburbs. There will be haters wherever you go. Some from your race, some from another race. Jealousy knows no bounds so you just gotta ratchet up your DGAF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois