Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Well, Harlem has a few wealthy sections and a relatively thriving business district.. A lot of white hipsters live in Harlem too.

South Bronx is a much better New York City neighborhood example if we're talking about ghettos.
I agree. Nevertheless, while Decatur and Danville aren't great places by any stretch of the imagination, Champaign, Bloomington and Springfield all have relatively stable economies and a number of white-collar jobs. They certainly aren't bombed out ghettos...and for the person that compared the towns in central Illinois to Haiti ... well ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:41 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,333,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leener View Post
Springfield violent crime rate is listed as 9 on a scale of 1-10.
I find that very hard to believe.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
I find that very hard to believe.
Well, I looked up the crime stats on City-Data and it looks like Springfield, IL is about double the national average.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
if you aren't employed in state government or at a hospital, you probably are not making huge sums of money.
Good point.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
When one assumes they are usually wrong.

Central Illinois i genenerally considered to be in the heart of the state - which is comprised mostly of small farming communiites. Even at that there ara three distinct areas: western central, eastern central and central in Central Illinois. Illlinos is also divided North to South and by the largest river in the state. Springfield is not in Central Illinois.

To see all of Central Illinois east to west you would have traveled 800 miles in 30 some counties and you would not have been in Springfield or Champaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_the_OWL View Post
I had wondered the same thing never having been through the area. Looking at a road map I had assumed the towns of central Illinois were quaint little "Normal Rockwell" towns amidst the cornfields. But when I drove through I was shocked to find they were ghettos largely populated by an underclass and looked more like Harlem or Detroit or Haiti than the mom and pop "Mayberry" I had imagined.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:58 PM

Sangamon County and Sprignfield has had 70 reports of tornadic activity in the county in 59 years. The safest area is in Petersburg in Menard County with 3 reported tornadoes in the same 59 years. Springfield, Lincon and Bloomington is in tornado alley with 231 reports

National Weather Service, Lincoln IL -- Tornado Climatology of Central and Southeast Illinois

Old 04-20-2011, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Springfield is not in Central Illinois.

To see all of Central Illinois east to west you would have traveled 800 miles in 30 some counties and you would not have been in Springfield or Champaign.
No. Incorrect.

See: Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See: Central Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
See: Visit Central Illinois
See: Illinois Channel - About Illinois

Your narrow definition of central Illinois is not correct. The geographic center of the state is Chestnut, IL, about equidistant from Bloomington, Springfield and Decatur. Springfield, Champaign, Decatur, Peoria and Bloomington are all cities in central Illinois. Peoria is probably close to the northern edge of the region, and perhaps Litchfield is close to the southern edge of the region.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 PM

I live in central Illinois. You live in Wisconsin. One of the things you learn about Wiki's in gnereal is it is not always factual.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I live in central Illinois. You live in Wisconsin. One of the things you learn about Wiki's in gnereal is it is not always factual.
I lived in Peoria for 2 years and Springfield for 16 years. I know what is and isn't central Illinois. Springfield is in central Illinois. Just because people in the Peoria area have a particular moniker for where they live doesn't mean that moniker is the end-all-be-all. Even the Illinois DNR agrees with me: Springfield is in (western) central Illinois and Champaign is in (eastern) central Illinois. Also, all those links provided weren't from Wikipedia. I'm sorry if you don't like the designations, but you'll have to take it up with the state of Illinois, even the DOT (which says Champaign and Springfield are in central Illinois):

Winter Road Conditions

Old 04-20-2011, 09:39 PM

89 posts, read 272,515 times
Peoria, Bloomington, Champaign, Decatur & Springfield are all central Illinois cities... As far as crime, there's crime everywhere. Obviously, there is probably less crime than Naperville, but it's I wouldn't say it's out of control or anything.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:21 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
One of the things you learn about Wiki's in general is it is not always factual.
What about the two other links MountainChaos provided? Do we have reason to be skeptical of the info on VisitCentralIllinois.com and IllinoisChannel.org?

Although from a purely geographical standpoint, I don't see why the image on the Central Illinois Wikipedia page wouldn't make perfect sense:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois