Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2007, 08:15 PM

10 posts, read 33,057 times

Advertisements

Hi
I would like to get some info about Savanna. My wife and I would like to flee the Chicago area and relocate toward the northwest part of the state. Years ago we drove through Savanna and really loved the town. It seemed quaint and relaxed. Does anyone have any info on this town as far as jobs,property taxes ,crime etc? Would really appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 01:34 AM

5 posts, read 74,094 times
Default I need the same info...HELP!

I'm looking for the same info, and are there any bad neighborhoods in Savanna?

I will be there on the 19th so maybe I will have to find out for myself.

Aloha,

venom aka Oceanside

Old 09-15-2007, 09:18 PM

22 posts, read 145,459 times
Default Bad areas in Savanna?

Hi Oceanside-As long as you're in the area on the 19th, take in Mt. Carroll, 10 miles to the east. I would imagine that there are a few bad neighborhoods and sections in Savanna, but the whole town kind of looks the same. I would recommend that you go thru Savanna first, and take in the sights, then come to Mt. Carroll. Then go thru Mt. Carroll and take in its sights. If you have time, go downtown, and take in the sights there too. If you would like a tour, let me know about when you'd be in town, and I'd be happy to show you around. We just had a block party this evening, and blocked off a portion of Main Street. Was a good time with great people. Good luck. Doug Bergren

Old 09-16-2007, 03:14 AM

54 posts, read 307,191 times
Knowing from some of my old High School Friends' experience, and my own personal experience, there are some rough neighborhoods in Savanna.

1. Bowen St between the Viaduct Bridge and the Sullivan's grocery store: It's the old Milwaukee Road Rail yard areas. Places along the highway have been spruced up in recent years, for that I applaud Savanna.

2. the Mid-Hill, Pretty much everything the north side of Chicago Avenue between the old church Elementary/Orphanage (a Giant Brick Structure built into the side of the hill) to Downtown.

Everything Else in savanna is pretty fair I'd say. There are some homes near the old hospital that are for sale and have an EXCELLENT view of the river valley and the Savanna Sabula bridge and the railroad bridge, not to mention when the leaves start turning soon (as i understand, Carroll Co. had their first Freeze of the year last night.)

Mount Carroll is nice, Especially around the upcoming October Nights. Lot of stuff downtown which culminates at the Ravens Grin Inn behind Charlie's and the Pharmacy in an old hotel which was turned into a Haunted House by one Jim Warfield. The only side of town that i'd complain about is the Bushy flats, and as I understand it, the residents there have been fixing it up substantially from what it once was, and I should know, I lived in the big beautiful Yellow-sided house next door to said bushy flats for 16 Years until 2003.

Jobs are a bit scarce, but I hear that DURA Automotive in Stockton IL is hiring, as well as the developments going on up at the former Savanna Army Depot, may want to check in on those as well.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 AM

54 posts, read 137,901 times
Default Savanna rough?

My wife's job may be relocating her to the Savanna area...after reading this post, I am confused. Savanna is a town of roughly 3-4000 people right? So I am thinking how can there be so many "rough" areas of such a small town?

Anyone from Savanna care to expand on that, what makes them rough? Here I thought it would just be a quaint little midwestern town, I grew up in Iowa in a similar sized town....

Old 04-15-2011, 11:40 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,723 times
I can only speak about 10 yrs ago.... They used to have a serious drug/alcohol/unemployment problem. I don't know what the situation is like now?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:29 PM

28 posts, read 49,373 times
Well heres the scoop on Savanna. Always a small town it has changed through the years as the Army Depot & railroads jobs left, then schools consolidated & moved, Facemakers brought jobs, Swiss Colony as well. Then folks were hired to build and maintain the prison building down in Thompson. Theres always been a good share of farmers with corn and melon as well as hunters and catfishing
There was issues during the late 60s and 70s when motorcycle gangs rode through town and caused a ruccus. There were little bars all through town, so drinking and fighting on the weekends. But that changed, lots of local pride during the bicentenial years. No more drug use there then any where else in Iowa and Illinois small towns. When meth became more popular for young people you would start seeing arrests in the Times Journal newspaper. Used to be if you get a speeding ticket, your name was in the paper too
I have lived all over across the US growing up but spent my teen summers and a couple adult years in Savanna also Clinton IA and Quad Cities, Chicago burbs too. Far less drug use there then Quad Cities & CLinton or Mt Carroll ( county courthouse is there but not much else)

The thing is it is such a small town that everyone knows your business. Plus places like the roller rink & movie theatre went out of business and didnt get replaced so local teens got bored.
If there are less then 100 kids at the high school and two go on a bender smoking pot & drinking all weekend in my mind that is not a town with a drug problem.
The motorcycle guys now are men in their 40s reliving their youth on pricey Harleys that ride out to Poopys so their wifes can get small tattoos and they can show off their bikes for fun. They ride for Fulton dutch days and thompson melon days.
The hillside areas and down by the train tracks have been rough looking but for a reason. Snow and narrow winding streets of ice keep people from buynig the views there and a couple locals that bought propertys down by the railroad as investment and ran out of money to rehab and flip or fix up to rent. You can buy two lots cheap and tear down if you dont like the home next door. Then you have the marina and Marquette park as well as walk to shopping downtown and easy to the 64. Old Mill Park, the State Park, Mannys pizza YUMMY
My advice is to get yourself there for a weekend and show up early enough friday to go into the Chamber of Commerce to chat up the ladies there & have one fo them walk you through the train car museum. Find out which parts flood when the river rises, which parts shadflys are at before you go looking to buy. Hang out at Manny's for Pizza and then buy a few drinks at Poopys to make friends. Dont forget to drive over the Sabula Bridge and make a wish before you get to the island.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:01 PM

1,789 posts, read 4,344,719 times
I lived in Savanna many years ago and loved being so close to the Mississippi. We then moved up to Elizabeth area. HUsband was at DAC that Brac moved to OK 13 years ago. I think you should look at Savanna/ Mt Carroll/ Elizabeth/ Galena area. Depending on where you wife is working. I didn't think there were many jobs in the Savanna area. The entire Northwestern corner of IL is beautiful and the people are great. I would be move back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois