Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 10,289 times

Advertisements

Where is the crime? One bank robbery since we came here in 2005 from New orleans. it is a breath of fresh air. Not exspensive at all we bought a house for $50,000. And we are far form trash LOL I am a published author we are retired my husband is on disability it is a great retirement village. I am always out and about and I have never experienced any problems. It is run down a bit, but that is to be expected in an old village that looks like the 1950's. But that is part of it's charm. I was born on the airforce base and yes I here since it closed down it has changed for the worse. But if this is the worse give it to me!!! The schools are great and my daughter married a local man who is still in the airforce. They have a house and he just adopted the G-kids. His family is prominent here and everyone is very happy.
The one who did this post Do you actually live in Rantoul? After living in New Orleans for 45 years it is paradice here, no sirens, I see no drugs. I can leave anyhting on my porch or yard and so can my daughter, and nothing has ever been stolen. And at halloween there are so many wonderful kids that trick or treat, But in New Orleans there is not a one. I recommmend Rantoul to anyone who wants quiet, peace and retirement and who want to raise their kids safe and happy.
But on the other hand if you are a party person then keep looking! LOL this village closes at 10 pm. Good luck... Hope it helps. oh and I went from burgluar alrams and bars on windows and doors to not even having to lock my doors. The people here are old fashioned not low class many of them have never been out of Rantoul they are who they are, it is all that they know. It has nothing to do with low class I am far from low class I was once missairforce and traveled all over the world and even grew up in Japan so I know what I am talking about. Every place you go you have to decide if it is for you. We are 58 years old and we loved the solitude and peace. And low crime!!!!!!!!! Have a nice day and anyone who wants to move here please check it out and make you own choice. Everyone is intitled to their own opinon. Thanks, Phyllis

quote=Drover;1176088]Rantoul has its issues. Its crime rate is a little higher than one would expect from a medium-sized town in the middle of the state, but your life won't be in mortal danger if you live there. My biggest concern with Rantoul centers around general quality-of-life issues. It's just kind of grimy and run-down and the people there seem a little... low-class. Not quite white-trash (or rather, "equal-opportunity trash" in Rantoul), but not far from it. That may sound classist, but that's how I see it.[/quote]

Old 03-20-2008, 12:43 PM

3 posts, read 13,417 times
Default not bad

I've lived here for 2 years now. Although there's not much to do unless you like to bike ride, go for walks or swimming. I live in an town home and had no problems with my fellow neighbors of all colors. In fact I can take my golden for a walk around my neighborhood with no one bothering me. Did I mention I take him out in the middle of the night... I found the people to be very kind in just a few months of living here. People seem to look out for each other and help when they can.
As far as crime I lived in Champaign for 8 years and that by far is worse than here. I by the way love bike riding and went all over here and there with kids.
I feel by far safer in Rantoul than in Champaign of the over all areas.
I home school my kids so I don't know first hand about the schools here but the other moms I've connected with that home school are wonderful and very helpful to a new home schooling mom.
There are a few places to eat out here although the healthy living is all found in Champaign stores. I honestly could say we saved more money living here than when we lived in Champaign,going out when bored to spend money in Champaign. At least now we go when we really need to, to stock up on food.
Just remember crime is everywhere and if you fear it you'll see it everywhere you go. We make the circle around us!
Be Blessed in the direction you may go. Your friend

Last edited by livinglifewithfaith; 03-20-2008 at 01:01 PM..

Old 03-20-2008, 01:12 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,687,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinglifewithfaith View Post
As far as crime I lived in Champaign for 8 years and that by far is worse than here.
Over the last 8 years for which crime data is available, Rantoul and Champaign have had nearly identical rates of rape, theft, burglary, auto theft and arson; in fact, Rantoul has slightly higher rates of each except for rape (owing to the college campus). Rantoul has a FAR higher rate of robbery, nearly twice the rate of Champaign. The only area where Rantoul is decidedly lower than Champaign is murder; and even then, Champaign is well below the national average so it's not like people are mowing each other down with impunity there.

So much for crime being "far worse" in Champaign. If you moved to Rantoul to get away from Champaign's crime rate, you moved to the wrong place.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:51 AM

5 posts, read 23,058 times
I go to school in rantoul

Old 03-23-2008, 01:52 AM

There is a lot of drugs

Old 03-23-2008, 01:54 AM

The school system sucks, but I go to a private school

Old 03-23-2008, 01:55 AM

Not much to do

Old 03-23-2008, 01:56 AM

2 posts, read 9,087 times
yep i live in rantoul
schools suck there

Old 03-23-2008, 01:56 AM

They have a good theatre group though

Old 03-23-2008, 01:57 AM

2 posts, read 9,087 times
there really isnt anything to do their
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois