Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 09:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times

Advertisements

Yes, St. Louis is expenive, once you pass route 61 (a four-lane N/S to Iowa) It is a couple of hours into Columbia and Jefferson City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 09:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,758 times
No it is extremely dangerous. They call it "Stab City" ((((

Just kidding, it's really safe. You might be bored to death, though.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:32 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,966,860 times
Bumping this very old thread because we are moving to IL and looking for a halfway point on our trip from Nashville to Chicago and Mt. Vernon seemed to fit the bill. I booked a hotel for a few days out but then my wife mentioned how unsafe it is. Is this really true? We will have a moving truck and the last thing I would want is someone to break into it overnight. The hotel is literally right off the highway.

Old 03-21-2018, 09:06 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,192,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Bumping this very old thread because we are moving to IL and looking for a halfway point on our trip from Nashville to Chicago and Mt. Vernon seemed to fit the bill. I booked a hotel for a few days out but then my wife mentioned how unsafe it is. Is this really true? We will have a moving truck and the last thing I would want is someone to break into it overnight. The hotel is literally right off the highway.
Shouldn’t be a problem at all if the truck is secured. I have stayed overnight along the 24/57 route a few times in the past when all drivers said they were too tired to contnue

Couldn’t you guys split the 8 hr drive up somewhere in middle to spare the hassle?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Shouldn’t be a problem at all if the truck is secured. I have stayed overnight along the 24/57 route a few times in the past when all drivers said they were too tired to contnue

Couldn’t you guys split the 8 hr drive up somewhere in middle to spare the hassle?
Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by, "in the middle"? Mt. Vernon is "in the middle" in my opinion. It's about 8 hours like you said and mt vernon is 3 hrs and 40 minutes from where we live in Nashville. Effingham is usually just over half way but we're leaving tomorrow night and I really don't want to have to drive more than a 3.5 hrs after we load the moving truck, close on house, etc. It'll be a long day as it is. We considered stopping earlier like in Marion IL but wouldn't want to drive further past Mt. vernon.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,192,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Thanks. I'm not sure what you mean by, "in the middle"? Mt. Vernon is "in the middle" in my opinion. It's about 8 hours like you said and mt vernon is 3 hrs and 40 minutes from where we live in Nashville. Effingham is usually just over half way but we're leaving tomorrow night and I really don't want to have to drive more than a 3.5 hrs after we load the moving truck, close on house, etc. It'll be a long day as it is. We considered stopping earlier like in Marion IL but wouldn't want to drive further past Mt. vernon.
Congrats! You finally found a house Where did you end up buying in Chicago?

Yeah, leaving in the evening is a different animal. I actually do fine and often prefer the night driving but not so much if it involves towing or moving trucks. When I said halfway it was intended as a reference to splitting the drive up so you would not have to get a hotel.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Congrats! You finally found a house Where did you end up buying in Chicago?

Yeah, leaving in the evening is a different animal. I actually do fine and often prefer the night driving but not so much if it involves towing or moving trucks. When I said halfway it was intended as a reference to splitting the drive up so you would not have to get a hotel.
Oh ya, like changing drivers half-way. Normally we do the whole drive in one day but my wife is afraid of bad weather coming into chicago saturday afternoon and we can't change drivers because we'll both be driving one vehicle each.
But anyways, yes! we did find a house, it's been a much more tumultuous process than I had originally intended it to be (usually is with real estate) but it's all coming together. We ended up buying in Elgin (neighborhood right off randall rd, very nice area). We looked other areas but Elgin ended up being the best bet and we found a great house which will be a very good long term location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois