Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:01 PM

105 posts, read 477,745 times

Advertisements

This thread of mine might offend some but it's my honest opinion regarding how the federal government handled the flooding in the area.

Bird Point Levee across the Almighty MS River in Missouri was bombed by the Corp. of Engineers to spare Cairo, IL. The productive farmlands in both Mississippi and New Madrid Counties was badly flooded with acres of crops being damaged. There will be long-term effects on the soil from the flooding that will result in economic decline in these areas.

Why was Cairo given a priority by the federal government rather than the farmlands in Missouri?

I just don't understand something. Have you ever been to Cairo?

The town itself is basically a decaying ghost town with a population of 2,800+ with scarce job market. The majority of the population in Cairo lives in poverty living off welfare. I don't know why most of the population would rather live in such an isolated town living off welfare rather than trying the option of moving off to better cities such as Carbondale, Sikeston, or Cape Girardeau for better life. As a widow of one daughter after losing husband in Afghanistan last year, I understand it's hard being a single mother but being on welfare should be your last option.

Do I think it was worth saving Cairo? I think not! The state of Illinois will be better off having the entire cape to be underneath the river and residents could seek better lives elsewhere.

This has nothing to do with racism so don't try to make me looking like one. I think the federal government is overly sensitive to the racial issues. I believe America has improved alot since the 2008 election so African-Americans need to get over themselves!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 06:14 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
No offense but, on welfare or not, people come before farmland.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
No offense but, on welfare or not, people come before farmland.
No offense taken. Have you ever heard of evacuation? A population of 2,800+ isn't a big scale evacuation.

Farmlands are important economically. We are already in economic recession so why make it any worse than it has to be. I wouldn't be surprised if food prices go up.

Some farmers have hard lives. Unlike the farmers, Cairo residents choose to live that way.

Again, Cairo isn't worth saving. I bet Chicago and upstate Illinois don't give a heck about that town. It will be less funding for Illinois without Cairo.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:31 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,285,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missourian11 View Post
No offense taken. Have you ever heard of evacuation? A population of 2,800+ isn't a big scale evacuation.

Farmlands are important economically. We are already in economic recession so why make it any worse than it has to be. I wouldn't be surprised if food prices go up.

Some farmers have hard lives. Unlike the farmers, Cairo residents choose to live that way.

Again, Cairo isn't worth saving. I bet Chicago and upstate Illinois don't give a heck about that town. It will be less funding for Illinois without Cairo.
These people are poor as heck, when their homes are destroyed, where will they live?

Anyway, you're wrong:

"The entire city was evacuated in early May 2011, after the Ohio River rose above the 1937 flood levels, out of fear of a 15-foot-wall of water inundating the city."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo,_Illinois

Old 05-09-2011, 06:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
These people are poor as heck, when their homes are destroyed, where will they live?
Maybe they can squat in Missouri farmhouses.

Old 05-09-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Unlike the farmers, Cairo residents choose to live that way.
You can't and don't know that all the residents in Cairo choose to live a a difficult and poor lifestyle. Likewise, where are these impoverished people to go when their houses are gone? In the end, it is what it is. The government chose the town over farmland. I'm sure it helped that the president and a number of his council are from Illinois; as well, Illinois pulls more political clout in D.C. than Missouri. I'm not surprised by the outcome.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:06 PM

I know Cairo residents did evacuated.

Where could they go? I'm sure most of them have families living somewhere else where they could stay until they get back on their feet. That's what most families do.

Of course, it's all political. Pres. Obama certainly helped Illinois. That's why rural farmlands in Missouri aren't important. With or without Obama's influence in Illinois, we all know that Illinois with more electoral votes than Missouri is one of the most corrupted states.

Thank goodness, I don't live in Illinois with heavy state debts, corrupted politics, and high property taxes.

Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Maybe they can squat in Missouri farmhouses.
I don't see that happening anytime now. They can squat all over Cairo or your precious Illinois soil for all I care! LOL

Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I know Cairo residents did evacuated.

Where could they go? I'm sure most of them have families living somewhere else where they could stay until they get back on their feet. That's what most families do.

Of course, it's all political. Pres. Obama certainly helped Illinois. That's why rural farmlands in Missouri aren't important. With or without Obama's influence in Illinois, we all know that Illinois with more electoral votes than Missouri is one of the most corrupted states.

Thank goodness, I don't live in Illinois with heavy state debts, corrupted politics, and high property taxes.
Now you're just slinging mud because not everyone agrees with you. By the way, MO is no stranger to debt and corrupt politics.

Old 05-09-2011, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Now you're just slinging mud because not everyone agrees with you. By the way, MO is no stranger to debt and corrupt politics.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions just like I am about Cairo, IL.

I don't know what you are talking about. Of course, all states have some degree of debts but MO's is significantly lower than Illinois.

Here is the website of last year's state ranking by debt. I couldn't find one for 2011 yet.

Interactive: Is Your State A Debt Disaster? - Forbes.com

The states are being weighted from 1 to 50 with 1 being the lowest debt with 50 being the highest.

#17: Missouri - $670 debt per person
#50: Illinois - $1,877 debt per person

This website lists the most recent ranking of America's Best States to Live.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

#22: Missouri
#31: Illinois

You see Missouri ranks significantly better in its debt per person and slightly better as a best state to live compared to Illinois.

Believe me, our state government may not be perfect but it's alot better than Illinois. Illinois has most governors to be impreached and Gov. Pat Quinn recently raised income taxes unless I am wrong.

Missouri has one of ten lowest cost of living among 50 states so you can't beat that.

I suggest for you to do your own research before making any assumptions.

Have a good night!

Last edited by Yac; 05-12-2011 at 06:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois