Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2011, 04:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,513 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

My boyfriend and I are moving to C-U this July (I will be a graduate student attending the university here in the fall), and we're trying to find a place to live. The primary criteria are, of course, that the location be safe and relatively close to campus. We're open to renting (an apartment, house, or townhouse/condo), but also open to buying (a house or a townhouse/condo), provided that the price is below 90K. We're only interested in buying if we're absolutely certainly that the area is safe (and that it is conveniently located, of course).

I would appreciate any advice or comments that you might have for us.

In particular, I am curious about southeast Urbana (between Vine, Philo, Windsor, and Florida). Is this a safe area to live? Is there a lot of crime there?

Are there any areas you might recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 07:12 PM

867 posts, read 2,140,068 times
far as I've heard that part of SE Urbana is fine, not sure about anywhere else

Old 05-24-2011, 12:02 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
The Universioty has housing for doctoral candidates in Urbana. Apply via form on the University website. I recently added the link in a similar post as yours.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:16 PM

29 posts, read 92,351 times
The area you outlined is generally peaceful and I can recommend it. Crime is infrequent and that which occurs in this area often involves items stolen from unlocked vehicles or unsecured bicycles. I do not recommend renting East of Philo Road. The apartment complexes or rental houses in the vicinity of Lierman Dr., Austin Dr., East Washington St. or the Scottswood neighborhood (East of Prairie Elementary school) are dangerous and subject to increasing levels of crime. The once peaceful and safe Country Squires and Lincolnwood neighborhoods in East Urbana have seen crime rates increase in recent years, coinciding with the construction of the problematic Prairie Green apt complex on East Washington St.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 PM

29 posts, read 92,351 times
Consider the apartment complexes in Savoy off of South First Street (roughly 1 mile due South of Windsor Road) or on Church St. Well maintained, very little crime and close to UIUC, perhaps 3 to 5 minutes by car and no more than 10 minutes by bicycle to most of campus. I believe these areas are also served by the CU Mass Transit District. I also recommend checking Craigslist often as the apartments and houses listed for rent thereon are typically less expensive than those listed in commercially available apartment guides.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 PM

13 posts, read 33,476 times
The area between Vine, Philo, Florida and Windsor for the most part is fine. There are some areas, especially around Sunnycrest that have some Section 8 apartment complexes. These in particular could be called "unsafe", but that depends on definition.

That's basically just the NE section of the area you designated. The rest of the area is perfectly fine for the most part, and is completely single family homes and duplexes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois