Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 6,058 times

Advertisements

I recently got accepted into University of Illinois At Springfield (UIS) but before hand I was on track to go to Northern Illinois University (NIU)...Im currently undecided in what to major in...but I would like to attend the school that has the higher amount of prestige...Prestige not in terms of history but academic prowess...I hope to transfer out of whatever institute i decide to be my stepping stone...I just want to clarify that whatever surface I chose to set foot on is durable enough to allow me to elevate myself.... im aware that neither institute is considered to be in the "top tier" of education programs...but I would still appreciate any input available, Thank You.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:15 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,550,171 times
Northern

Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,254,744 times
Wait, so it doesn't matter which one you choose because you plan on transferring out of it?

Either way, Northern Illinois by far has more prestige.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:04 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,607,060 times
I would also go with northern.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:50 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
I think what is most important is that you do well at your academics at whatever school you attend. I've known people that have transferred to large, prominent schools and were able to do so strictly based on their transcript/GPA despite having come from seemingly small, unknown schools. So, I think either school will get you where you want to be assuming you get the grades necessary to transfer. My impression (for what it's worth, as I work at a university): if you are trying to transfer to, say, an Ivy league school, I don't think either will pull an enormously large amount of clout relative to the other.

Old 06-23-2011, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 6,058 times
^So either way i go, my performance is the only real qualifier?

Old 06-23-2011, 12:26 PM

Northern is a better school. Never even heard of the place in Springfield.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:54 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,338,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares09 View Post
^So either way i go, my performance is the only real qualifier?
Your performance (GPA/courses/volunteerism etc.) is, bar none, the most important qualifier. Going to NIU won't pull any weight if you end up with a really low GPA. Of the two, Northern is the better school in most categories, but it won't get you into a top tier school on recognition alone if you don't get the grades.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,099,703 times
Regardless of which one of the schools you go to, they are are still state schools. The biggest difference is finances. NIU costs more per semester than Springfield. . Not only does your GPA matter, so does your major. If you are worried about prestige then you go private. Eureka is a Top 25 Liberal Arts college. ISU is one of 13 top Actuary schools in North America. Bradley is well regarded for its Engineering program.

The advantage to Springfield is the train to Chicago and st. Louis. It also connects at WIU and ISU. When you come downstate to school you play in the cornfields. If you want the action then stay in Chicago.

Actually, if you are that undecided, it might be smart to take a year or two at a Community College. I understand there are some very nice ones in Chicago. If you can carry a 4.0 you can pick and chose. much easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mares09 View Post
I recently got accepted into University of Illinois At Springfield (UIS) but before hand I was on track to go to Northern Illinois University (NIU)...Im currently undecided in what to major in...but I would like to attend the school that has the higher amount of prestige...Prestige not in terms of history but academic prowess...I hope to transfer out of whatever institute i decide to be my stepping stone...I just want to clarify that whatever surface I chose to set foot on is durable enough to allow me to elevate myself.... im aware that neither institute is considered to be in the "top tier" of education programs...but I would still appreciate any input available, Thank You.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Regardless of which one of the schools you go to, they are are still state schools. The biggest difference is finances. NIU costs more per semester than Springfield. . Not only does your GPA matter, so does your major. If you are worried about prestige then you go private. Eureka is a Top 25 Liberal Arts college. ISU is one of 13 top Actuary schools in North America. Bradley is well regarded for its Engineering program.

The advantage to Springfield is the train to Chicago and st. Louis. It also connects at WIU and ISU. When you come downstate to school you play in the cornfields. If you want the action then stay in Chicago.

Actually, if you are that undecided, it might be smart to take a year or two at a Community College. I understand there are some very nice ones in Chicago. If you can carry a 4.0 you can pick and chose. much easier.
UofI is public, it isn't prestigious?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois