Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 PM

8 posts, read 19,796 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in Decatur, Il I know we do not want to live there at all we have only his income as I am a stay at home mom right now, we will be moving from both our families right in the middle of both families actually (mine are from WI his from TN) was wondering where a great town would be to raise kids we have 2 one going into first one not in school yet. I have been looking at Monticello which would be a commute for him but farther away from Decatur. Is the rent high in Monticello and where do I look to find a place to rent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
If you like small-town living, Monticello really is tough to beat. Great schools, great community feel, great old-fashioned "town square" downtown area, and a straight shot down I-72 makes pretty short work of the commute unless maybe he'll be working on the south side of town. For those who want to be closer to Decatur but still not in Decatur, Forsyth and Mt. Zion are the standard options.

The bad news is there isn't a lot of rental stock in Monticello. You may find a smattering of rental listings in the Champaign/Urbana and Decatur Craigslist for-rent sections and the classified ads sections of the local Champaign/Urbana and Decatur newspapers.

Last edited by Drover; 07-06-2011 at 04:57 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 12:38 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you for your reply. What about the Charleston, IL area is that far away? Is there a lot of rental places in Forsyth and Mt. Zion? Because we will definetly rent until we know thats where we are going to settle down at. He got a job working at ADM not sure where that is in Decatur I have never been there before.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
I think you will be happier in the areas Drover suggested. You don't know where AMD will take you next. For instance Peoria is much larger and has a large ADM facility outside of the city.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:11 PM

He will be working in there Maintenance department as a Millright I am hoping he will be there awhile so we can settle down we have 2 children and one will be starting school and I don't want to move her around a lot. I guess it will be probably easiest for him to find us a place since he will be down there.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:48 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,024,620 times
Charleston isn't really in commuting distance (over an hour away, all 2-lane roads), nor is as nice as the three areas previously suggested. Many ADM (and CAT) employees commute from Monticello to Decatur. Its an easy 30 minute drive.

How much time do you have to find a place to live? Are you looking for an apartment or a house? What's your budget? There are some rentals in Monticello but they often get filled with no advertising other than a sign in the yard.

Old 07-06-2011, 01:53 PM

My husband is going to be going and staying down there for a month before we come down there with him. I am not really for sure what the rental prices are around that area I think our budget would probably be under $1,000 a month preferabbly around $750 a month can I find that or is that unrealistic for those areas? I didn't know where charelston was so I looked it up and yeah it wouldn't be a good commuting city. If they do yard sign's I guess my husband will have to take a drive up there and look around.

Old 07-06-2011, 02:18 PM

18 posts, read 42,869 times
My sister is retired and lives in a little town outside Decatur, IL. It's called Forsythe, IL. It's a cute small town, and she is very proud of the way it's governed. It seems to be an independent little town and it's a definite small-town atmosphere. I have visited there several times and I have been impressed with it. Might want to check out some statistics on it. My understanding is that the schools are good and there is plenty of shopping and restaurants. Check it out. Good luck.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,024,620 times
Forsyth is a nice area, but it is contiguous to Decatur. To some degree, it feels like more of a "nice neighborhood" in Decatur than a separate community. It is part of a different (and better, I think) school district. Home to the area's major shopping mall, movie theater, and chain restaurants, Forsyth attracts much traffic (and occasionally some of the trouble) from Decatur proper. It would be a shorter commute to ADM than Monticello, and with the mall practically (or, in some cases, figuratively) in your back-yard, shopping is obviously convenient. But not nearly as "small town wholesome" as Monticello.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:53 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,152,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat0423 View Post
Thank you for your reply. What about the Charleston, IL area is that far away? Is there a lot of rental places in Forsyth and Mt. Zion? Because we will definetly rent until we know thats where we are going to settle down at. He got a job working at ADM not sure where that is in Decatur I have never been there before.
Charleston is way too far away to commute. I'm not sure you'd want to live there anyway.

You might find more rental stock in Mt. Zion and Forsyth because they're slightly larger and probably slightly more transient. I'd suggest using the Decatur resources I linked to above to scope out rentals in both towns.

ADM is on the east side of town which makes it fairly convenient for a commute from Monticello.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois