Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:33 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

[quote=Central Illinois 1;20580386]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
Well in defense of Illinois the state still has a lower tax burden than a little more than half of the states.

No fan of Quinn by any measure but the tax rate has not swayed me to pull up stakes and move because of a 2% rise in a tax that was one of the lowest in the nation.
Yes the state needs some reforms and the crumbs you discuss are all across these united states

It is discouraging to see comments like this on this forum as most of us are proud to be from Illinois

There is a culture of corruption IL that is pervasive. It is not enough to simply say that the same thing happens everywhere else. Maybe I have spent too many years in Springfield, but it is difficult to marginalize the actions of peoiple like George Ryan, Blago, and Joe White (i.e., U of I admissions scandal) for starters ; not to mention the tollway contractors bribery scandal and our esteemed Jessie White appointment to Congress. Name another state besides possibly Lousiana that has had as many scandals in the past 10-15 years?' . All of this sounds more like a backass one license plate state and alot less like a civilized amd enlightened mecca of altruism.
Where does this corruption come from? I could understand how corrupt has gone on in the South, but I'm wondering how Illinois got so much corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 04:58 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,103,067 times
[quote=green_mariner;20637388]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post

Where does this corruption come from? I could understand how corrupt has gone on in the South, but I'm wondering how Illinois got so much corruption.
Truth of the matter corruption is in every corner of the political machine in the entire united states of america.

I will leave this subject alone for the political board

Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
[quote=green_mariner;20637388]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post

Every state government has some corruption. Maybe Illinois politicians are just bad at it and get caught more often than the other crooks

Old 08-28-2011, 12:12 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
I don't know when it started. As far as I know there is no examination process such as the type the US President is subject to, and as far back as I can remember most Governors were closely aligned with Chicago politics. As long as men afflicated iwth cronyism and weak character are elected and/or appointed we will continue to have the same problem with sitting officials on all levels. Some do good deeds for all, most don't. It is what it is just as it is a fact that Chicago has the largest voting bloc in the state.

The election proceess may be unique, but corruption is a human weakness. We need to demand more and investigate better before we hire another one. The WILL of the people must force a change in the election process via the Illinois Supreme Court. The odds: NONE.

Last edited by linicx; 08-28-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 08-28-2011, 03:38 PM

[quote=Maintainschaos;20641007]
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

Every state government has some corruption. Maybe Illinois politicians are just bad at it and get caught more often than the other crooks
Yes and I find it really troubling right now in america and Illinois we need someone who can do a balancing act

run programs for those in dire need because of the economy and one who is a magician and create jobs!

Old 08-29-2011, 10:33 AM

910 posts, read 2,331,738 times
There's so much negative press about Illinois outside of Illinois but that's not discouraging me from heading back there. Every time I go there, it's so pleasant and wonderful, less hectic, than even the busiest suburbs. Heck, I want people to stay away and not want them to come to that gem of a state and ruin it like they are doing in Florida, where everyone seems to want to move to.

//www.city-data.com/forum/20656133-post1.html

Old 08-30-2011, 04:25 PM

Half of its just the media frenzy

Old 08-31-2011, 08:07 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
National publications spin data to fuel advertisering - which feeds their bottom line. Then you have virtual forums filled with malcontents who hide behind keyboards and promote hate and lies. One would think it is modern day version of the old KKK. We don't burn crosses or hang 'em high. Only the young and ignorant are gullible enough to believe the haters and their propaganda.

We cannot discount Illinois residents who genuinely do not like where they live. Perhaps if they moved 3-4 counties away from their present location their view of life in Illinois might not be as skewed.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:44 PM

words of wisdom!
From the moderator

Old 08-31-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrome View Post
There's so much negative press about Illinois outside of Illinois but that's not discouraging me from heading back there. Every time I go there, it's so pleasant and wonderful, less hectic, than even the busiest suburbs. Heck, I want people to stay away and not want them to come to that gem of a state and ruin it like they are doing in Florida, where everyone seems to want to move to.

//www.city-data.com/forum/20656133-post1.html
confused are you heading back to illinois from fla, your saying here is less hectic then there???

Last I was in Florida it was just like a mass suburb of chicago nothing but traffic and wall to wall people and hot hot hot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois