Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:58 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

I would certainly agree with my good pal Drover. When we would visit my family's Wisconsin relatives, some of them could barely understand my Pittsburgh accent (nor could I understand some of them)!

It is true that westerners (Coloradans, Idahoans, Arizonans, etc) don't have such marked accents as some of their eastern and southern friends, but it's there nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 10:09 PM

27 posts, read 148,223 times
Sorry, Drover, I thought that sentence might be misconstrued. When I said,

"I don't want to sound pious, but the fact is that the more successful and intellegent families in the area tend to speak proper English that sounds very much like most areas of the country that do not possess specific, strong accents (like: Chicago, Wisconsin or Boston)."

I was saying that Chi, Wis and Boston DO possess specific, strong accents and that proper english spoken in Southern IL sounds like most OTHER places in the Midwest or Western US.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:14 PM

8,491 posts, read 4,735,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkc View Post
I've lived in southern Illinois my entire life, I just started college and a good portion of the students are from the Chicago area, everyone always comments that I have an accent. I find this kind of interesting, thing is, I can't tell I have an accent. So what I'm wondering is what exactly is the southern Illinois accent? Because I can't notice it.
The Illinois accent I've noticed is a bit nasal, but pretty subtle and for the most part, not harsh. It's certainly not as noticible as Boston or NYC. It also tends to hold onto long vowels even longer, e.g saying "bayad" instead of bad, etc.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:02 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,118 times
I think the Chicago accent has a nasaly, short a sound. Also, midwesterns tend to say the short i as a short e. For example: melk instead of milk. I also find my DH's family in central and southern IL tend to add -th to words to make up new words. Plus they tend to pronounce words differently such as: crick instead of creek, boo-fay intead of buffet (buf-fay), and the southern draw comes out with extra syllables in most words. I find southern IL sometimes has more of a KY accent where the words are highlighted with a short i sound.
Someone told me that Cleveland, OH has the "newscaster accent" and is to be the neutral accent of the country. Is this true?

Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
To most of the country, a Cleveland accent is practically indistinguishable from a Chicago accent. What has come to be known as the Chicago accent hugs the Great Lakes southern shorelines as far east as Rochester NY.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:42 AM

2,329 posts, read 6,633,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish setter girl View Post
Someone told me that Cleveland, OH has the "newscaster accent" and is to be the neutral accent of the country. Is this true?
I believe that used to be the case, but not anymore. Last year or so PBS ran an entire program on accents across the US.
Do You Speak American | PBS
if you can track it down, its pretty fascinating.

heres the section that deals with the midwest accent
Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Midwest | PBS

Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 PM

610 posts, read 2,729,118 times
Thanks Drover and Via Chicago for the information. I'll check it out!

Old 09-17-2007, 06:19 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,613,090 times
People in the midwest speak correctly.Everyone else in the country has an accent......Thats what my mother always told us anyway

Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
My current favorite "illinois accent" is the accent of the woman who makes the announcement regarding "an incoming train" on the CTA's orange line. Her accent cracks me up every time.

Old 09-18-2007, 07:21 PM

482 posts, read 885,912 times
Since you guys are on the topic of accents, I thought I'd chime in. As you can see from my profile, I'm from Mobile, AL (on the Gulf Coast). After 6 or so trips to Chicagoland, I've decided I'd eventually like to relocate there--notably Aurora/Naperville. I have been told by a native Chicagoan that my accent is not that bad (i.e. not a Mississippi boy accent). I am trying to rid myself of any trace of a Southern accent partly because of the poor stereotype. (Not everyone down here is a hillbilly; I didn't choose to be from here either).

How do I rid myself of this? I find that the more I'm around Chicagoans, the easier it is to adapt to the different accent. I pronounce my "t's" and other sounds correctly as in maintenance and not the Southern (main'in-ince). I just want to get rid of any trace of a Southern accent! Unfortunately I've grown up here all my life, so it may take some work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois