Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:52 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Do you have a link showing that U of I's athletic department is self - sustaining. I remember reading an article a couple years ago stating that wasn't the case, but I cant seem to find it now. I do remember the article stating that most of the big time college programs are not self sustaining.

Edit: Found a link.

College Athletics Losing Money
IMO the most telling link is the comparison between FBS conference revenues versus Div I without football. That and this blurb: "In terms of revenues, a whopping 45.8% is generated by football and 13.3% from men’s and women’s basketball, combined. Men’s sports generate a median $22.56 million; women’s sports, $836,000."

If the big programs are losing money, it's not because the football programs aren't pulling their weight, coach's salaries notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 03:53 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
IMO the most telling link is the comparison between FBS conference revenues versus Div I without football. That and this blurb: "In terms of revenues, a whopping 45.8% is generated by football and 13.3% from men’s and women’s basketball, combined. Men’s sports generate a median $22.56 million; women’s sports, $836,000."

If the big programs are losing money, it's not because the football programs aren't pulling their weight, coach's salaries notwithstanding.
There is no doubt college football is a schools biggest draw.
I do remember hearing in the past a school traveling to a major bowl game breaks even when its all said and done.
How much of that is true I have not a clue.

I do know a schools payout from a large bowl is watered down after it pays the conference schools it is aligned with.

Used to be a big big big fan of college football but it did get a bit tiresome seeing the side shows with the coaches etc. Les Miles, Nick Saban, Weis, Pete Carroll not saying these coaches are not masters at the craft but the salaries are obscene.
Either way you look at the scenario Illinois is out of the money with Zook.
To my knowledge he ran a pretty clean program, kids looked up to him.
He did make it to the Rose bowl which few coaches make it to,

Old 12-19-2011, 03:55 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,102,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Do you have a link showing that U of I's athletic department is self - sustaining. I remember reading an article a couple years ago stating that wasn't the case, but I cant seem to find it now. I do remember the article stating that most of the big time college programs are not self sustaining.

Edit: Found a link.

College Athletics Losing Money
I always try to look at the articles from both sides.
This was very interesting and thanks for sharing.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post

I understand that, my point was that it simply wasnt true that college athletics are self sustaining.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:33 AM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
I always try to look at the articles from both sides.
This was very interesting and thanks for sharing.
Thanks, I remember reading a similar article a couple of years ago and being very surprised by it. I'm a big fan of college athletics and certainly do see their worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois