Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 02:07 PM

56 posts, read 114,628 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

My husband has applied for a job teaching at the University, and I wondered if you could help us with some info please...

We are from the uk, and have a daughter 16 years old, could be 17 by the time we move, and a son of 14 years old, so high schools are really important...

Our son is a keen footballer, he plays wide receiver, for the Hampshire youth team here, so Football is important to us!

Would it be possible to ask for info on the various Counties, which would have the best high school, and good areas to live?? Its a big move for us, we cant wait! but a little anxious that we get it right!

Also where is good and safe for teenagers to hang out, malls etc?

Here in the UK we live in a small village, with local shops etc, so we are not used to city life, so somewhere in the countryside with a reasonable commute would be our ideal.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:57 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
First there willl be a culture shock. I don't know what you know about US currency, so I am going to give you a bit of a short course of what to expect.

The US Dollar, the US Gallon, and US measurements are neither Pound nor measires by kilo. Currency: Dollar, half-dollar, quarter, dime, nickle and penny. LIquids: Gallon, half-gallon, quart and Pint plus cup, 1/2 cup, 1/3 cup, 1/4 cip[ and 1/8cup, as well as 1 Tablespoon (tbsp). 1 Teaspoon (tsp.). !/2, !/4 and 1/8 teaspoon. Fabric Measurements: Yard, foot and inch. (36", 12" and 1".

Your electrical appliances like the hair dryer and electric shaver, and computers will need UK to US (AC/.DC) converters because the UK and US Power Grids are not the same. Your oven is not measured in Mark, It is measured in degrees. Mark 3 = 350 degrees. There is no loo at home, it's a tollet, and the boot is a car turnk where you place luggage. Our boot is one of two things: footwear or where a soft convertible car top disappears for storeage when the top is off/down.

I believe,.and I can be worng, that UK and US Football are different sports. It isn't like Autralian Rules Football, Rugby or Soccer.

Hospital Emergencyt Rooms are open 24/7. No appointments' walk in. Doctors and Dentists are usuall in the office M-F. Pharmacies is where you buy medicine.. Walgreen's,. CVS and Walmart are popilar stores with pharmacies. I personally support my local pharmacy as they know their customers whereas the national chains do not. Your drugs will lood different, and have different names. The area, weather wise, food and water, is entirely different. The best way to avoid Mantezuma's Revenge is to drink bottled water and rinse with bottled water after brusing teeth - until you find a residence and move into it. it is NOT uncommon to move to hot, humid, weather and develope skin problems, nasal irritations, or even an sensitivity to local bugs. Wasps, bees, chiggers, mosquitoes, fleas, ticks and red aints wither sting or bite himans. If you spray the yard and house every three months all year you should have few problems. Wasps, chiggers and ants live in the ground. Be careful where you walk. The bug bites/ stings can cause Hives.

Schools: You will need documented health records from the UK. Your children will need current dental, eye exams, medical exam and vaccinations before they are allowed to enter school. If you do not agree you have the option to home school. Your best Children's Hospital that is closest to you will be Children's in St. Louis., or Barnes-Jewish. Driving in St. Louis will be a bit like driving in London with a blindfold. And we all drive on the "wrong side of the road"

We are not Subjects. We are US Citizens who are Residents of a state, city, county and township or of a Parish and city. Those who are not legally in the US are Illegal Aliens. They are neither citizens nor residents; they are interlopers.

The US is roughly 4500km wide from Ocean to Ocaan, and 3000 km from Canada to the Gulf of Mexico. IL is an Agricultural State. You will find acres upon acres of corn, soybeans, and livestock. You will be surrounded by it. Yes we have sheep.

It is unlikely you will find mutton or tripe in a grocery store, but you can find Coleman's dry English Mustard. If you really miss the foods you used at home you will probably need to got to Chicago to the English neighborhood stores. Chicago is 10M people whereas St. Louis is only 2M population. The absolute time to drive in St. Louis or Chicago is very early Sunday morning.

American chirch is a bit different. In Southern Illinois you will Baptist and a few others. As far as I know the nearest Angelican Church in Illinois is in Peoria. The Angelican Catholic Church is in Stl Lewis. I wrote this about a year ago. I said:

"I found an English Tea Room in Dunlap and English Toffee in East Peoria - both are closer to Peoria. There is an Olde English Faire every summer in Jubllee Park outside of Peoria. The First English Lutheran Church has been in Peoria for many years as has The Church of St. Andrew the Apostle, the Angelican Church (1897)."

Chicago expressways are like the Autobahn. They are fast and 8-10 lanes (one way) St. Louis is a git slwoer with 3-5 lanes. Peoria is two lanes. Get STATE MAPS. Illinois routes are marked IL,US and Interstate. Do not speed.

Your cell phones will probably NOT work in US - unless it is iPhone - and that is only maybe. There are different carriers here.. CMDA technology is very popular.

Southern Illlinois is very, very poor. At this juncture in your life you are better served to live in Carbondale for at least one year. The population is about 25,000 which is a small town. You will find shopping, parks, gracery, etc.. Sadly the US is not homogenous, and most very small villages are clannish and not particularly friendly to outsiders - that being anyone who does not have a family that has lived in the same town for at aleast 100 years. It would probably not be a very happy time for your children..

Southern Illinois is also noted for snakes. Your days of stilleto heels and Nike's are over. It is leather boots mid-calf or higher and pant legs tucked in the boot tops. I don't know how often snakes wander into Cafbondale. When they do they will be in the parks looking for water, food and sunshine. Be informed: DNR

If hubby is a hunter there is good hunting and fishing in the state.

Last edited by linicx; 02-06-2012 at 11:18 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 AM

56 posts, read 114,628 times
Hello and thanks for the reply

Its not a jump we take lightly, and are aware of the major differences between the US and the UK, we fully intend to embrace US life, and get on with life there, and adapt ourselves as much as we can. We are not Brits who want to live like Brits abroad.. I see no point to that, might as well stay in the UK if you want to live like a Brit! We want to fit in as much as we can, and integrate as much as we are allowed to!

My son plays American Football, hes very keen, and aparently very good at it he is keen to find a high school with good football, so he can continuw to play if possible. I wasnt aware of the medical stuff to do with school, so thanks for that.

I had heard about the small towns being a little tribal, we currently live in a small town/village, and its a bit that way too..

Im hoping that we wont miss anything at all about the UK, I do like tea, but im sure American tea will be just fine!

We are not planning on shipping anything much, the stuff we have is old, and as you say wont work anyway, so with the sale of our house we will have enough to get new stuff, so the only shipping will be personal items. We have deliberately not renewed phone contracts as theres no point upgrading to phones that wont work in the US.

Hubby and I ride Harleys, as well as drive, we may ship them over, or buy new, they are cheaper in the US, so looking forward to riding the highway, no speeding though...

I like the idea of supporting local pharmacies, sounds like a better way to go, I often prefer the advice there than doctors anyway! My daughter has recently undergone spinal surgery, she will not need further treatment but its good to know where the nearest hospitals are.

I wasnt aware of the snakes, they dont bother me, being prepared is key I guess. We are bringing our dog over, so will have to train her to avoid them!

Hubby is a really good shot, so hunting may be on the cards for him then!

Any ideas which counties should be avoided?? and which high schools have a good reputation???
again, any info is welcomly received

Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 PM

Tribal does not bein to describe some enclaves in Southern Illinois. For rides? Go HOG! It was my first 'comfort' ride way back in the early 60s. Harly was a foul rinning machine then.

I am going to send you a private message. Look under your name where you log in for "Your Notifications: Click on it and a drop down menu will appear, Click on the first item. My message will come up, You can reply by clicking on the button on the bottom of the message.

You discourage snakes by not having tall grass, tall plants, standing water, chopped wood by the shouse or anything that gets a lot sun. I open the fiont door one day to get the mail and found a Copperhead sunning on the walk. It was in a newly developed area of town.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,506,708 times
I currently have a son attending SIU - you will be just fine in Carbondale.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:08 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Cardbondale is a very nice town, but I've never lived there so I'll leave it to others who know the area better to give more specific suggestions.

That said, it's definitely not a "big city" by any stretch of the imagination so I don't suspect you'll have any trouble finding something that fits the lifestyle you're looking for.

When you want to vacation somewhere larger, St. Louis is less than two hours away -- plenty of tourist activities such as museums, professional sports and cultural activities -- and far-larger Chicago is about 5 hours away.

The countryside is rolling and beautiful -- I'm sure you'll like that, and essentially all of the schools will have football programs (though I'm sure they vary in quality) in which your son can participate.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:54 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Carbondale is surrounded by smaller towns within a very short commute to SIU...I would suggest checking into them also...Carbondale is ok,but for a place to live locally you can do much better.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:07 AM

Default Where do you suggest?

You know the area best. Where do you suggest our friends from the UK look for good schools with a football program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Carbondale is surrounded by smaller towns within a very short commute to SIU...I would suggest checking into them also...Carbondale is ok,but for a place to live locally you can do much better.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:46 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You know the area best. Where do you suggest our friends from the UK look for good schools with a football program?
Marion/Carterville/Herrin areas all have good schools and good football teams...real estate is getting more than reasonable in the Marion area now...excellent medical,good shopping...just getting a bit crowded for my liking is all.

Old 02-11-2012, 01:38 PM

They have HS age kids and want isolated rural not too far from the university.

I'm going to send you a DM

Last edited by linicx; 03-06-2012 at 05:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois