Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,111,599 times

Advertisements

I like Jacksonville too, It's changing for the better and it probably offers more options, but on the whole I would still move to Pittsfield.

You will ultimately move to where you can find your ideal place to live. I would spend some time in the towns you like best.. Eat at the restaurants,, talk to the locals, check out the businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 PM

15 posts, read 40,486 times
I would love to spend some time there, but I live about 12 hours form there. And Lincoln Land has 5 different locations, and I won't find out until tomorrow where I would attend. I am also looking at Lewis and Clark. That's why I was looking at the Alton/Godfrey area.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:01 AM

I never visited Godrey. I would remember because of the name. However, I've been through manyof the areas on the iL side facing St. Louis. I like St. Louis much better. However, if you chose the JWCC then the difference beteween Pittsfield and two schools is 13 v 39 miles. I swould look at the lesser of the evils especially if you are looking at Ag courses.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:49 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,193,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbrnfn View Post
John Wood, Lincoln Land and MacMurray.
Ok, so Quincy, springfield-jacksonville and Jacksonville.
Have not been to Quincy in many years, cannot comment. Jacksonville seems decent, a little sleepy. Hopefully the re-do of the downtown square brings in some local shops and livens things up a bit. I like Springfield and some of the nearby suburbs. More options with grabbing a quick bite on hectic days than J-ville.

Do some research on quality of local schools for your kids. Then see what housing costs are in those districts and then see which college has best program and then factor proximity to family and the vibe of the towns.

Alton is OK, a bit too industrial for me. Edwardsville is more my taste.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:05 PM

Great description. I was thinking the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Alton is OK, a bit too industrial for me. Edwardsville is more my taste.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,457,444 times
Quote:
I am planning on relocating to Illinois later on this summer in order to attend college. We are a large family and are looking in the general area of Pittsfield/Jacksonville to south of Springfield to Vandalia to west over to the Missouri/Illinois border. We would prefer to be in a smaller town. Not a fan of living in cities.

Is there one area you would recommend over another? How are the schools? How are the special education services in the public schools? What is the average rent for a 4 bedroom house? Is the COL reasonable? What is the crime rate? Are there things for kids to get involved in, things to entertain them? Movie theaters, bowling, skating, community sports etc. What would be the best way to find a rental home? Any landlords I should avoid?

Thanks in advance!
I hate to state the obvious, but if you already have a large family, why are you going to college instead of working to support your family? Either you have money to burn, which makes my point embarrassing to me, or you are borrowing money to attend school?

If I am way off - look at the Chatham area. Excellent school district and close enough to Springfield to obtain anything you need.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,478,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
I hate to state the obvious, but if you already have a large family, why are you going to college instead of working to support your family? Either you have money to burn, which makes my point embarrassing to me, or you are borrowing money to attend school?

If I am way off - look at the Chatham area. Excellent school district and close enough to Springfield to obtain anything you need.
Who on Earth cares and what business is it of yours? Student loans aren't considered "debt" the way credit cards are mortgages are because it's a debt that pays dividends (increased wages) over the long haul. I don't know if your post comes from jealousy or unnecessary curiosity, but it's ridiculous either way.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 AM

15 posts, read 40,486 times
1. Yes, I have a large family. Which I alone support.
2. I do work and plan to work once I relocate.
3. I have absolutely ZERO debt at this time. Everything I have is totally paid for. And no credit card debt either.
4. And if you must know, I am divorcing and want to move closer to my family after being away from them for many years.

Is there anything else I can fill you in on?? Please, just let me know.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:42 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,976,071 times
Quote:
Is anyone familiar with Godfrey or Jerseyville?

I would go for Godfrey before Jerseyville and I've lived in both as well as Fieldon.

Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 AM

35,095 posts, read 50,976,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post

Chatham cost of living is way too high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois