Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,622 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! I know I'm new here, but I've been a "lurker" on this forum for a while now. I've noticed a lot of people here in the Illinois forum seem to have a strong dislike for Springfield, while singing the praises of places like Bloomington-Normal or Champaign. A few common complaints I hear include:

-Poor job opportunities unless you work for the government or a hospital. I can agree with that to an extent, but what job opportunities does Bloomington have outside of insurance and ISU? What does Chambana have outside of the university?

-Little to no culture. Folks, This is central Illinois. If you want real culture, we live right in the middle of two major cities that have plenty of it.

-It's boring. Yeah, compared to a Chicago or a St. Louis. But for a 200,000 pop. metro, there's plenty do do here. Museums, water park, state fair, concerts, drive-in movie, great restaurants, comedy club, ect. You might have to look under some rocks, but there are things to do here. Plus, St. Louis is close enough where you could take an evening trip (which I've done).

Springfield has problems, sure. But IMO the positives far outweigh the negatives. The population is growing, we have a big and beautiful downtown (I think Peoria is the only one that rivals Springfield in that department downstate), just about all of the main "big city" amenities, ect. I question if the majority of the people who gripe about Springfield on this forum have actually been here.

I've even seen people on here go as far as comparing Springfield to Decatur. Are you kidding me?! I grew up in Decatur, but moved to Springfield as an adult. Let me tell you, Springfield beats the hell out of Decatur in terms of amenities, things to do, and just about any other category. Heck, I even saw KISS here in Springfield months back. Say what you want about KISS, but you'll NEVER see them perform in Decatur.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:15 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,341,964 times
I do agree with your sentiments, by and large. I think most people that complain that Springfield is a boring place just haven't looked very hard. In fact, compared to the other metro of its size (Champaign), there are at least things to do in Springfield that aren't centered around the university. Going out to bars and hanging out with sophomores and juniors is fun for a time, but eventually you get old enough that it isn't so interesting anymore...

However, what I think Springfield lacks, compared to Champaign, is the big university. Unfortunately, the University of Illinois--Springfield is so tiny compared to UIUC, and UIS is located in a suburban area, so it feels a bit disconnected from the city. If Springfield had a university of the size and caliber of UIUC, coupled with it being the capital, home to a number of hospitals, some insurance corporations, and the SIU med school, all of the Lincoln historic sites and museums, the Illinois state museum, etc. I think it would be unrivaled as the premier (for whatever it's worth) city in central Illinois. However, it does not...so it's basically vying for 2nd or 3rd in central IL...

Oh well. My motto is: Springfield--it's not that bad!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:49 AM

4,671 posts, read 7,341,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
...but going out to the Springfield bars with a bunch of adults who act like Sophomores and Juniors is somehow more fulfilling?
If those are the types of people that you go out with, then no matter where you go out you will not find yourself pleased. And no, I am not trying to sound like Linicx; however, pretending as if C/U doesn't cater to the university and the majority of the students that attend it is ridiculous. Yes, there are things to do in C/U that don't revolve around the university and the students, but the majority of the things there do.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:10 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,106,869 times
Say what you will about Urbana-Champaign - which is OFF TOPIC - the fact remains the University campus is the size is of a medium-size town. Champaign is a college town and Springfield is a politiical town. You cannot rewrite history.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:50 PM

1,128 posts, read 2,006,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
If those are the types of people that you go out with, then no matter where you go out you will not find yourself pleased. And no, I am not trying to sound like Linicx; however, pretending as if C/U doesn't cater to the university and the majority of the students that attend it is ridiculous. Yes, there are things to do in C/U that don't revolve around the university and the students, but the majority of the things there do.
Within walking distance of campus, businesses certainly cater to the student crowd. As you get farther away from campus, not so much. Campustown and Downtown Champaign have two very different looking crowds on a Saturday night.

Old 02-10-2012, 03:49 PM

110 posts, read 204,142 times
I've been to Springfield a couple times. I always liked it. I have nothing bad to say about it.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM

811 posts, read 731,509 times
I've only been there once, last summer for a concert but I really enjoyed the trip. The one complaint I had was that almost everything was closed(it was a Sunday). But a very nice downtown area with lots of things within walking distance. I live in Rockford and it blows our downtown away.

Btw, did eventually find Bennegans was open, and had a great lunch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois