Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 02:43 PM

116 posts, read 338,959 times

Advertisements

May be relocating to the Quad city rea and was wondering about the Asian population in that area. In particular, Asian markets, authentic Asian foods, and Asian groups activities or festivals? What are the schools out in Coal Valley area like? Thanks

Last edited by linicx; 02-19-2012 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2012, 09:18 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
In terms of size and availability of products Chicago's Chinatown community cannot be beat. Among other things you will find mainland newspaper, banker, bakery, pharmacy/herbal compounding, grocer,/restaurant supply, church, shops and restaurants. Nothing in IL or the surrounding states compares to Chicago's Chinatown. Illinois towns of Peoria, Springfield, Bloomington and Normal, Champaign, Decatur, and perhaps others I am not aware of, have small markets and a few restaurants.

St. Louis has a large area of Asian influence but it is not cohesive as is the Chicago Chinatown.
Is There Anything Resembling A Chinatown in St. Louis - General Midwest Archive - Chowhound
You will find something similar in Kansas City.
http://duckduckgo.com/?q=Kansas+City%2C+MO+Chinatown
If you are serious about Asian and Pan Asian products, what I can tell you is the greatest concentration of these products will be found 200 miles from Rock Island and in your large cities. .

Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,404,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
In terms of size and availability of products Chicago's Chinatown community cannot be beat. Among other things you will find mainland newspaper, banker, bakery, pharmacy/herbal compounding, grocer,/restaurant supply, church, shops and restaurants. Nothing in IL or the surrounding states compares to Chicago's Chinatown. Illinois towns of Peoria, Springfield, Bloomington and Normal, Champaign, Decatur, and perhaps others I am not aware of, have small markets and a few restaurants.

St. Louis has a large area of Asian influence but it is not cohesive as is the Chicago Chinatown.
Is There Anything Resembling A Chinatown in St. Louis - General Midwest Archive - Chowhound
You will find something similar in Kansas City.
Kansas City, MO Chinatown at DuckDuckGo
If you are serious about Asian and Pan Asian products, what I can tell you is the greatest concentration of these products will be found 200 miles from Rock Island and in your large cities. .
Was that really germane to the topic? The poster asked for the Quad Cities specifically...

Old 02-20-2012, 04:02 PM

116 posts, read 384,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeacock View Post
May be relocating to the Quad city rea and was wondering about the Asian population in that area. In particular, Asian markets, authentic Asian foods, and Asian groups activities or festivals? What are the schools out in Coal Valley area like? Thanks
No clue as I never lived there, but IC which is 40-60 min away has Asian food, restaurants and some Asian population due to popular presence of U of I.

But you might as well drive east and take 1 extra hour to get to Chicago.

I doubt you will have Asian festivals in QC but they may have some group activities if you look well.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:44 PM

I understand you have issues, so I am going to try to help you. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Was that really germane to the topic? The poster asked for the Quad Cities specifically...

Old 02-21-2012, 01:00 PM

What you are moving into is a farming area dominated by John Deere. Finding an Asian population large enough to support a market in the QC may be difficult.

You will find the largest Midwestern Asian markets in Chicago, where I shpped in the past, and St. Louis. Peoria is the third largest MSA in Illinoiis and it does support a Asian community. I buy Asian in Peoria -- which is about 90 miles from QC via 1-74.

..There is one Asian import grocer on Main Street - nothing fresh, and limited frozen foods.
..There is one vegan/vegetarian market in Metro Center.
..There is one seasonal farmer's market in Metro Center.
..There iis one fish market in East Peoira that does offer Sushi - you must pre-order Sushi because most is delivered to local restaurants.

I know nothing about Asian markets in other areas except to the extent whether it exists or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgpeacock View Post

Old 02-22-2012, 08:32 AM

415 posts, read 1,739,196 times
There are thousands of Asians in the Quad Cities. There are several Asian markets in the QC. I don't go to them, so I can't tell you much about them, but I lived across the street from one when I lived in downtown Davenport. It recently moved to a larger location, so obviously it was doing well. I believe there is also an Asian grocery in downtown East Moline.

There is some kind of Chinese cultural group that I have seen perform, but my Google searching was unable to find out more about them.

I don't think there'd be any reason to drive to Peoria, Iowa City, or Chicago for your normal needs. Obviously Chicago has infinitely more Asian cultural amenities, but we're certainly comparing apples and oranges when you're talking Chicago vs Quad Cities.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Downtown Davenport always had an Asian grocery store (On the corner of Iowa and 4th maybe), I think it might have 2 now.

Davenport is also has a decent sized Asian population for a city of it's size.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:23 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
What you are moving into is a farming area dominated by John Deere.

This doesn't give a clear picture of the QCA at all.

Do you always go so far off topic in Quad City threads?

Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 PM

I found one Asian store in Davenport that moved out of downtown Davenport to a new location. I found one article from 2007 about one Indian/Asian store in East Moline. I found nothing to make me think either market iis still open under the listed names.

The "thousands of Asians" you mention need to make their presence known if they sell groceries.

I had high hopes about driving to QC to shop these so-called Asian markets. Then I realized it was one market. It is companies like Dex, Mantra and YELP who are listing the same company over and over again. It is not about the company. Several of these business bot lists the US Senate as a company with a net worth of $X and X number of employees. This is not abouot business. It is about high ranking on search engines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois