U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 07:42 AM

20,793 posts, read 56,624,415 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me anything about this school? Is it a good school? Is it well regarded? Is it a place you wound't send your dog?? DD got some recruiting info from them and just wondering what the local opinion is.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 11:09 AM

11,544 posts, read 27,493,704 times
Quincy is a micropolitan city of 40,000 located on the Mississippi River, and the seat of Adams County government. Official Website of the City of Quincy, Illinois Quincy University - Quincy University It offers more than most towns its size, partly because it is the intersection of very busy routes. It is not unlike most all Illinois cities in that it is isolated. It is closer to the Quad Cities than it is to Peoria. The University has a good reputation. There is no more crime in Quincy than any other town its size in America.

It does not have a Chicago vibe. For that you go to Chicago..

Old 03-13-2012, 11:17 AM

38,704 posts, read 93,574,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Quincy is a micropolitan city of 40,000 located on the Mississippi River, and the seat of Adams County government. Official Website of the City of Quincy, Illinois Quincy University - Quincy University It offers more than most towns its size, partly because it is the intersection of very busy routes. It is not unlike most all Illinois cities in that it is isolated. It is closer to the Quad Cities than it is to Peoria. The University has a good reputation. There is no more crime in Quincy than any other town its size in America.

Uhm... I think you're answering a totally different question than the one the OP asked.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post

A smaller town is preferable for our DD. Just trying to get a feel for the quality of education, mainly the science program. On paper every school it top notch. We really like that area of the country, it's just beautiful along the river, especially in the fall.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:47 PM

11,544 posts, read 27,493,704 times
I would not say every school in Illinois is top-notch. By and large, I think most university level schools in central Illinois do more than a barely adequate job of educating. As to the specific program of science I have no knowledge. The people I know who graduated from QU were not science majors, but they all seem to feel they were well educated. Other than being bored in a smaller town with a farm vibe - as most IL towns have - I think your DD, would be just fine. I think most of her credits would transfer to any in-state Illinois school if she does not like Quincy.

Maybe Drover can shed light on the subject? He seems to know an awful lot about schools in Central Illinois.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:52 PM

535 posts, read 902,722 times
I attended Quincy University, and I am quite proud of that fact. I graduated in 1994 - so some things may have changed, but here are a few comments:

When I attended, they had writing across the board - meaning every class required a paper of some type - even tennis and math. I actually think it was a great idea.

It is a small school, with a split campus (Main Campus and North Campus). Science classes were all on the north campus. A shuttle runs between the two

As a Catholic college, some theology course work is required for graduation - I think just one or two classes

It is a liberal arts program, so you will have to have a certain level of gen ed classes to graduate - but that keeps you well rounded

I like the class sizes, and the fact that every student had a mentor (a professor) kind of like a guidance counselor, who we met with every so often

I like each of my professors - with one exception. I felt like he purposefully tried to weed students out. On the first day he said half would not pass the class, I did terribly on the first test, dropped the class, and never took any of his again!

When I attended there were no greek organizations (fraternities / sororities)

I lived off campus, and was more challenged to make friends - due in part to the small size of the school - until I got more into my degree coursework and had more consistent class mates. I think I would have liked living on campus better

Quincy is actually a great small city .. but it is small It is not the most diverse place, and the college does not have a significant impact on the community it seems.

I hope this helps

Old 03-13-2012, 01:12 PM

THANKS MIKE!! That is just what I was looking for. She would live on campus and small towns are A OK with her. As long as there is a coffee shop in town or on campus, she will be just fine, sushi would be a bonus. Quincy is double the size of the town we live in now. We are Catholic so that is a plus for us. We will have to do a visit there and see.

I appreciate the help!

Old 03-13-2012, 01:38 PM

164 posts, read 332,244 times
My Mom worked at the school, and I lived in the town from 1981-1990. Quincy is a pleasant town with lots of historic architecture, a surprising amount of wealth (and a good deal of poverty, too), with most of the suburban-style amenities (restaurants, stores). The college I would say is just ok academically. Their bread and butter used to be the Catholic high school students, especially in the St. Louis area, who could not afford get into St. Louis University (or wanted to leave town), and either could not get into or couldn't afford to go to Notre Dame, DePaul, Loyola, and the like. Almost all the faculty now are lay people. There have been some issues with leadership and administration in the not too distant past.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:24 AM

135 posts, read 568,474 times
golfgal,

I'm from the Quad Cities originally, but have been a Minnesotan for the past thirteen years. Surprised to see you in the Illinois forum. I'll just give you some observations.

Quincy-Hannibal area is very scenic; I would compare it to Winona. Quincy is a medium sized city with lots of shopping. Hannibal is all about Mark Twain (and possibly the unsinkable Molly Brown-- did they ever finish restoring that?) The area is rich in history. As Garrison Keillor is quoted saying, "there's no way to Wichita from here," there is no direct route from the twin cities to Quincy. It will be quite a long trip but definitely scenic. From Eastern Iowa, I-80 take 218 south to Mount Pleasant, 34 east to Burlington, and south on 61 to Quincy.

As far as QU is concerned, it is an OSF university, fully accredited. The education is quality, but if your daughter is wanting to pursue pre-professional or graduate studies, find out the acceptance rate from the department. In my opinion, QU is fine, but why would your DD want to travel so far from home? Regionally, QU pulls from Western Illinois, Northeastern Missouri, and Southeastern Iowa. While not the "south," the culture has a few different values.

Is QU a decent school? Yes, but is there anything similar closer to the twin cities? I'm sure of it. My first two years of college were on a full tuition scholarship to a small town Iowa liberal arts college. I got what I needed pre-professionally and transferred. Look at it from this perspective-- if QU makes your DD a scholarship offer you cannot refuse, I would have no reservation of attending as long as QU has the exact program she wants or has an acceptable graduate or professional school admission rate.

Looking at colleges is fun. For a twin cities native, having QU on the radar screen is surprising. Good luck in her searches. PM me if you have any questions.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM

164 posts, read 332,244 times
Default Actually....

As Garrison Keillor is quoted saying, "there's no way to Wichita from here," there is no direct route from the twin cities to Quincy. It will be quite a long trip but definitely scenic. From Eastern Iowa, I-80 take 218 south to Mount Pleasant, 34 east to Burlington, and south on 61 to Quincy.

Avenue of the Saints is 4-lane minumum from St. Paul to St. Louis, it's not one contiguously named interstate, but it is possible to do interstate-level roads all the way to Quincy...you would have to get off US 61 east of Quincy in MO. Still, I would stick to schools closer to your neck of the woods - just my $.02 worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois