Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,461 times

Advertisements

So I've been living in Chicago the last 6 years without a car. I had a Minnesota state driver's license that was valid until my birthday 2 days ago when it expired. I also have an Illinois State ID Card.

I've recently accepted a job that requires I have a valid driver's license so I need to go to the DMV today.

What will I need to do to get an IL Driver's License? Can I show them my state ID and they have me take a written test or driving test? Can I show them my recently expired MN driver's license and just get an IL license or will that also make me have to take a driver's test and/or written test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
Best guess is the IL ID and MN Driver's license is probably enough identification. However, you will need to take the IL written test. You should be up to date on Scott's Law and some of the other new laws. I am pretty sure you will need to take a driving test too, but maybe not.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 AM

116 posts, read 384,278 times
It's usually illegal to have two Ids from two states. If il DMV saw your mn drivers license at the time they were issuing u state I'd, they would have it taken away and tell u to to get DL instead and take written exam. It's easy to take it and they give away free books for preparation.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:49 AM

674 posts, read 1,161,461 times
I went to the DMV today here downtown, looks like I do have to show my MN Driver's License but re-take the written and eye exam.

What are these new laws? What's the Scott's law?

Is there a website I can go to review for the test and these new laws?

Old 03-13-2012, 07:19 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times
I. Go back to DMV and ask for a Rules Of The Road book. Read it.

2. Scott's Law pertains to passing any stopped Emergency Vehicle in the lane nearest the stopped vehicle. Do not do it.

3. No cell;no text in school zones during school hours or when children are present. Don't do it. Similar rules may apply in some construction zones.

3. Speeding is an expensive experience in this state if you are caught.

Old 03-13-2012, 10:40 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
It's usually illegal to have two Ids from two states. If il DMV saw your mn drivers license at the time they were issuing u state I'd, they would have it taken away and tell u to to get DL instead and take written exam. It's easy to take it and they give away free books for preparation.
Not quite true.
It is illegal to have two drivers licenses. It is not illegal to have a drivers license from one state and a state ID from another. Hawaii (and Florida) are two states in which I know that it is perfectly legal. In Hawaii, they encourage snowbirds to get a state ID card.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:33 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Not quite true.
It is illegal to have two drivers licenses. It is not illegal to have a drivers license from one state and a state ID from another. Hawaii (and Florida) are two states in which I know that it is perfectly legal. In Hawaii, they encourage snowbirds to get a state ID card.
Actually Florida is not a place to have IDS from 2 states now either. We used to let snowbirds get part time drivers licenses or state IDs to make it easy to do things here in the state as Florida residents since they lived here part time, but now they have to choose which state is there resident state. . All out of state licenses or IDs have to be turned in to get a Florida Driver's license or IDs. All states eventually have to issue the Real ID because of Homeland Security, but Florida started issuing them a couple years ago. A driver's license from another state cannot even be used as your primary identification for your drivers license here. There is a specific list of what is needed to prove who you are and that you actually live where you say you do. Women even have to bring in their marriage license and divorce papers etc. to show their name change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
View detailed profiles of: