Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2012, 08:52 AM

2 posts, read 7,188 times

Advertisements

My Mod Edit lawn tractor died (transmission toast) after only five seasons of gentle use. I also had it serviced every year by the same dealer that provided the tractor when I bought it but when it started acting up they wanted one thousand eighty dollars plus tax to repair it. So much for a product touted to be of very high quality and built to last a lifetime. I contacted corporate customer service and was passed around until a supervisor wrote me off because my warranty had expired, not caring that their product failed. Instead of trying to help they blew me off hiding behind a bunch of corporate mumbo jumbo and policy nonsense. I am now a vocal Mod Edit product hater and hope this helps someone else avoid a similar problem in their future. Anyone know what to do with a Mod Edit
big boat anchor (I don't have a boat)??????

Last edited by linicx; 04-14-2012 at 02:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 12:22 PM

1,490 posts, read 2,681,075 times
Well, good luck finding something offered by another manufacturer that is of substantially higher quality.

All the residential grade is made to hit a price point, and the 'good' stuff is commercial grade, priced accordingly. I have no doubt that a commercial Mod Edit with yearly dealer maintenance would last at least 20 years.

For a replacement, see if you can find a used commercial machine. My 30 year old bobcat still starts on the second pull with no more than a yearly oil change and blade sharpening.

Last edited by linicx; 04-14-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 02:36 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,277,465 times
Over the years I've had Deere, Ford, Poullion, Cub and Sears lawn tractors. Everyone was used but the Sears and it was stolen. I probably have a very different view of this issue as most seasons where I live is 3 cuts a month. for 7 months or longer. For me it is 42 mow hours and 21 gal of gas per season and multiply by 5 for the 5 years I've had it, and add $200 a year to keep it running. Given what I know about the land I've mowed, if I had 5 acres or more land I would invest in a small farm tractor - NOT a lawn tractor - with a snow plow blade and a brush hog and be happy.

The farm tractor is a working machine Farmer's do not replace a $250K machine every five years. The lawn tractor is a mobile yard ornament. You can do one of three things when it dies: part it out, sell it "as is where is", or learn how to be your own mechanic. It is much easier to repair what you bought new than it is to repair the problems someone else made before you bought it.

The best way to find the goodmachine is to talk to the people who use them. I live in large and busy AG state. Nine out of 10 ten tractors in the fields are Deere. You just don't see too many AC's in the corn and bean fields. I do not know why.

Sooner or later mechanical equipment fails. When it does we are all faced with the same quandary. Repair or replace? It's a craps shoot.

Last edited by linicx; 04-14-2012 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois