Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 04:06 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,613,235 times

Advertisements

I know that the railroad runs through town, but I wonder if anyone can tell me how frequently the trains come through? And, is it more often in the morning, or at night? My daughter, son-in-law, and grandsons live there, and my son and I are considering moving there also, to be closer to them. However, they live a couple of miles outside of town, and chances are we'd live in town. My daughter isn't really sure about the scheduling of the trains, although, on occasion, she said they can hear the train when the wind is just right. I don't mind trains, but I don't want to live too close to the tracks, if trains are going to be rumbling by at all hours of the day and night, particularly if they have to lay on that whistle/horn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:44 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,173,564 times
Illinois is a train state with Amtrack and the other commercial trains. You cannot avoid it. I've lived 1/2 block from tracks and I've lived 3 blocks from a major crossing. If you are outside or inside the house with the windows open you may hear the train at the crossing. By the time it is 3 blocks from you, you won't hear the train horn nearly as loud or as often as it is 1/2 block from your house. By 6 blocks you should not hear it very often.

I don't like the ear splitting warning horn either.

Highland is in Madison County in the area called East St. Louis, Illinois, and its population is about 10,000. It looks like the city going to bring FTTH Internet (fiber to the home) which is very, very fast. You have Horseshoe Lake, 19 major highways in the county plus SIU in the county. Generally speaking that area of Illinois is very conservative. .

Last edited by linicx; 03-28-2012 at 09:57 PM..

Old 03-28-2012, 10:18 PM

164 posts, read 376,322 times
Highland is not in East St. Louis, IL, which is a separate suburb and not a place you would want to live. Highland is at least 30 minutes from there.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:40 AM

Thank you both for your replies. Here in Northwest Florida, we live between the Navy and Air Force bases, and it's a constant barrage of heliocopters, planes, bombing practices, etc. When I think on it, I don't suppose trains couldn't be any worse!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:46 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,088,459 times
Highland is no where NEAR East St Louis, Illinois, it is at least a 30 - 45 minute drive away. As far as the train goes from what I understand it isn't that bad and there is no real "set" time for the trains. For the Amtrak there are times however, that does not always mean the train runs at that specific time. Also, Scott Airforce Base is in Shiloh, Illinois which is 21 miles away from Highland going toward Belleville, Illinois.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 PM

My son-in-law is stationed at Scott AFB. And, my son and I have actually been to Highland, and the surrounding area, a number of times (perhaps my original post made it sound as though I hadn't ever been there. My apologies.). Based on my observations, as well as those of my daughter (they've been there about 2 1/2 years), and some research, Highland appears to be a relatively pleasant little farming community, with it's share of problems, of course, the same as any town/area, which is to be expected. I was just having a little trouble trying to figure out the train situation, which is why I posted my question. But, I do appreciate everyone's input. One never knows when one will learn something new. Thank you!

Old 04-02-2012, 06:31 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,842,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
As far as the train goes from what I understand it isn't that bad and there is no real "set" time for the trains. For the Amtrak there are times however, that does not always mean the train runs at that specific time.
The line that runs through Highland IL hasn't had Amtrak service since 1979. However, it sees a handful of freight trains from owner CSX each day. Actually, I'd suspect its less busy nowadays compared to pre-1999 when a big merger changed traffic patterns on a number of lines. It isn't terribly busy.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by css9450 View Post
The line that runs through Highland IL hasn't had Amtrak service since 1979. However, it sees a handful of freight trains from owner CSX each day. Actually, I'd suspect its less busy nowadays compared to pre-1999 when a big merger changed traffic patterns on a number of lines. It isn't terribly busy.
Thank you for sharing that information!

Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM

32 posts, read 153,779 times
My family and I lived in Highland aboutt 4 years ago..Its a nice small town with enough stuff to do and if you need more we would drive to Edwardville.....I am light sleeper and I never remember any train noise...I would highly recommend ...

Old 04-13-2012, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 10,740 times
I grew up one town away from Highland, and my brother married a Highland girl and has lived there for about ten years now. My brother and SIL live on the west side of Highland in one of the newer housing developments, and they can barely hear the train when it comes through. I used to spend a lot of time at the public library which is only a few blocks from the tracks, and I can't once remember hearing the train. So as long as you don't live right next to the tracks, I think you'll be fine.

One nice thing about not just Highland but that whole region is you can live in a small town, yet be within reasonable driving distance of a big city (St. Louis), but not have to worry that your small town will be swallowed up by urban development. So far the Mississippi River has been a huge deterrent in keeping away the type of sprawl that is happening on the western edges of the St. Louis metropolitan area, and I haven't seen any reason to suspect that will change any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois