Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM

5 posts, read 12,055 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will be relocating to the Normal area for me to attend graduate school at ISU.

I am having trouble finding reasonable apartments in the B-N area that aren't per room (for undergraduates). Does anyone have any recommendations? We are hoping to pay under 600 for hopefully a 2 bedroom, which I realize isn't much. My fiance does not have work lined up yet, so we really don't know what he will bring in. How is finding a job down there?

We were talking of finding a smaller village outside of Normal to live. Are there any that are clean, have decent rentals and worth the drive?

We are from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, so moving to a bigger area like this is a bit overwhelming, so any advice about living in B-N or the surrounding areas would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 12:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,113,735 times
Illinois is an agricultural state. You will find far more corn and beans than people downstate. ISU gas somewhere around 25.000 students and teachers. Here is a link to ISU housing. I think you might need your student ID to access it. There is also a phone number to call on the lower right side if you cannot access the list or need other help. Welcome to Illinois State University Off-Campus Housing Database

IL is a bit different than most states. A community can be a village, a town, or a city; it is not judged by size. The problem with the smaller farm towns is there is generally not a lot of rentals available. And then you are driving 10-20 miles to school at $4 per gallon.

Call ISU housing and don't mention the boyfriend if they don't ask. If worst come to worst you may have to come early to find a place. Most apartments are rented by Aug 1st.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:22 PM

22 posts, read 62,038 times
Normal isn't all that big, and at $600 a month, there should be plenty available. Lincoln Park Townhomes would be viable on that budget, and it gives you laundry in unit and free cable and internet. They are pretty nice, and it's a short walk to campus.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:13 PM

161 posts, read 210,533 times
Getting a job here for college kids is really easy, that should not be a worry.

Honestly, just search for apartments in the area and you should find something. Bloomington is cheaper if you can drive to class.

Sami, Class Act, and Steeping Stone are just some of the main local apartment leasers. I do not know what you have looked at so far.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2012, 04:39 PM

Thanks so far you guys!

My boyfriend and I will be married before we move down, so we really don't want to do the whole student apartments. But a lot of the residential apartments are just so expensive! I applied to on campus graduate/family housing, but they don't offer apartments until 2 months to the start of the semester. Just not sure if that turns out to be no if that gives us enough time to find something else. (Especially when we will only be there in a week and once at the beginning of June for orientation)

Old 04-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlaa11 View Post
Thanks so far you guys!

My boyfriend and I will be married before we move down, so we really don't want to do the whole student apartments. But a lot of the residential apartments are just so expensive! I applied to on campus graduate/family housing, but they don't offer apartments until 2 months to the start of the semester. Just not sure if that turns out to be no if that gives us enough time to find something else. (Especially when we will only be there in a week and once at the beginning of June for orientation)
Are you referring to the Shelbourne apartments? You do not want to live in those anyway.

Old 04-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Yeah...

Why should we not live there?

Old 04-04-2012, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutlaa11 View Post
Yeah...

Why should we not live there?
It is just incredibly outdated, a lot of complaints with that.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 PM

Does anyone have any opinions of Danbury Court Apartments (Bloomington) versus Briarwood II apartments (Normal)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois