Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2012, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 4,509 times

Advertisements

We are driving through Illinois this summer (second week of July), and I'm looking for a great place to stop for the night, and spend the afternoon. We have two little kids (3 and 5).

I'm not sure we will have time for an actual event (like the zoo), but we also don't want to stay in "anytown" USA. Maybe something scenic, unique, city or country, and reasonable with little kids. We love great restaurants, but with the kids in tow, it will have to be family friendly.

Any suggestions???

Thank you! Larysa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:50 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Off I-74 is generally small towns with not many services. Peoria is the largest with the most things to do, but there are a couple options. If you want to stay away from noise and a lot of traffic, you could stay in Morton and drive to East Peoria for a Waterpark and a larger choice of restaurants. Its about 10 miles.

You can also kill two birds at once but this requires a bit of driving and iI believe it is accessible from I-74. It is a stay over-night animal park with tours and a fish in' hole for kids, and there is food on premises. It is rural Peoria and closer to Chuck E Cheese and Avanti's Restorante that kids love than the Morton/east Peoria location. The kids will talk about this the rest of your trip. Wildlife Prairie State Park - Home Page Peoria area has over 300 restaurants to chose from too.
Steak 'n Shake is a regional sandwich & fries, chili and shakes restaurant/ take-out that emerged from a gas station/restaurant in the 1930s in nearby Normal, IL.

You can also stay in Peoria and take the kids to the Wheels O' Time museum or the planetarium. In this general area (Peoria Heights) there is also a lookout tower with viewers at the top. You can climb the 187' tower or take the elevator. There is also a very large park the kids can explore less than a mile away. There you find the zoo, botanical garden, amphitheater, swings, picnic area. plus several restaurants nearby. The new Africa! exhibit opened at the zoo last year. It is not a large zoo, but it interesting and in a very green and pretty setting.

With the exception of Wheels O' Time and the wild animal park what I listed in Peoria is in an area about 4 miles wide and 2 miles deep. There is raft of shopping and foods in this area it ease easily accessed from I-74. Peoria also has an outstanding Children's Hospital.

Despite the strange URLs such as "header_v8" (zoo) the following are all active links to the places I mentioned.

header_v8
Lakeview
Home
Peoria Park District
Peoria Heights, IL - Tower with Large Woodpecker
Peoria Illinois Illinois Hotels, Motels & Lodging | Trails.com

Old 05-01-2012, 07:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,509 times
Default Thank You

I can't wait to look at those links, thank you!!

Old 05-02-2012, 01:14 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
I second Wildlife Prairie Park.
Stay overnight in either the Caboose (yes, a railroad caboose) or one of the cabins. They all have AC.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Larysa,

Two free nights with each lodging reservation. Perhaps you could split it between the trip up and back? It might be worth investigating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larysa123 View Post
We are driving through Illinois this summer (second week of July), and I'm looking for a great place to stop for the night, and spend the afternoon. We have two little kids (3 and 5).

I'm not sure we will have time for an actual event (like the zoo), but we also don't want to stay in "anytown" USA. Maybe something scenic, unique, city or country, and reasonable with little kids. We love great restaurants, but with the kids in tow, it will have to be family friendly.

Any suggestions???

Thank you! Larysa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois