Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:59 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,259,477 times

Advertisements

This thread is over four years old. I'm curious just how many of the original posters who complianed so eloquently actually moved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 06:00 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,101,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Illinois has more units of government than any other State, even California. And many have highly paid officials. One Township road commissioner was paid $100K for overseeing 45 miles of roadway. By contrast another township abolished the position and didn't miss it. And now indicted Gov. Blagojevich expanded government without the revenue to pay for it. Now we are paying the price.
I have a very good feeling voters are not going to forget anything the next election cycle , way too much has happend the past year year and a half.
You know sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you get up and walk again.
Alot of voters are not pleased with the way things have been managed.
Seems to me this is the worst it has been in years if not ever

Some things are bound to change as we will be constanly reminded the next election cycle already today cook county and chicago announced they are merging some county and city ops. Its a start and the more people see or hear about this the more things are to change

Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 AM

115 posts, read 231,689 times
No, thanks for the thought, but if we are going to move, it is going to be away from Illinois and into a better climate without a real winter. I did not miss winter in those ten years I was in Houston and I am pretty heat tolerant, too. No, when we move, it will be out for good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
SoCal, Have you considered getting away from Rockford until you can move out of state? Seriously, it might help your happiness. Maybe Woodstock, Huntley or Crystal Lake would still keep you within a reasonable commute and put you in an overall nicer area without being too close to Chicago.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:28 AM

115 posts, read 231,689 times
This is not quite true: employment and crime stats are quite variable and there are many states or cities that have much better of both and are not in Illinois.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyandcloudydays View Post
At the end of the day compare state for state side by side
and they are all pretty much about the same with a rare exception or two.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:58 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,261,841 times
Quote:
I have a very good feeling voters are not going to forget anything the next election cycle , way too much has happend the past year year and a half.
You know sometimes you have to hit rock bottom before you get up and walk again.
Alot of voters are not pleased with the way things have been managed.
Seems to me this is the worst it has been in years if not ever

Some things are bound to change as we will be constanly reminded the next election cycle already today cook county and chicago announced they are merging some county and city ops. Its a start and the more people see or hear about this the more things are to change
I hope so. Certainly didn't prove true in the last election- too many lemmings jumping off cliffs!

Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldream View Post
No, thanks for the thought, but if we are going to move, it is going to be away from Illinois and into a better climate without a real winter. I did not miss winter in those ten years I was in Houston and I am pretty heat tolerant, too. No, when we move, it will be out for good.
Although I criticized your tone and narrow scope, I do understand where you are coming from. And although life here is good, there are other places that offer a good lifestyle as well. And personal preferences play a big roll in all of this. DW wanted to move to TX in 2008 and if one of the job offers came through, I would have done so to make her happy. I am happy to be here, for now, even though it's not perfect. My wife has made her peace because the kids are doing well here and she doesn't want to uproot them like she was so frequently when she was young.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldream View Post
This is not quite true: employment ahttp://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.pdfnd crime stats are quite variable and there are many states or cities that have much better of both and are not in Illinois.
I was referring to the taxes if you compare Illinois and its tax rate it is about in the middle of the pack

http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/ind_inc.pdf
Take a look compare Indiana to Illinois for example the state tax rate
look at the deductions-
For some reason we all need to look beyond the original figure dig deeper look into things like deductions and if its not a flat tax look at the differences in te actual tax bracket for your income.

Illinois even wit the 5% is still in the mid pack range

this is a most recent table (2011)

Old 06-14-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
I hope so. Certainly didn't prove true in the last election- too many lemmings jumping off cliffs!
No- but it was not as bad because quinn which i sadly voted for and dearly regret with all my heart screwed up alot of things.

I learned my lesson and will be voting for his opponent.
The lemming lied said he would only raise the tax by 1%

I drank the Kool- Aid and believed the freaking idiot
am I p***** yep , am i going to move becaue of it , NO

To me the federal tax is more than the small state tax and I am smart enought to itemize.

What stokes me is just the perception to the business community
that is what gets to me more than anyting else and enough has been said to literally irk people like me to no end with the current idiots in control of Illinois

I dont think it will all change but I strongly believe enough has been broug out to make some action wit the voters and the outcry

Last edited by linicx; 06-14-2011 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
No- but it was not as bad because quinn which i sadly voted for and dearly regret with all my heart screwed up alot of things.

I learned my lesson and will be voting for his opponent.
The lemming lied said he would only raise the tax by 1%

I drank the Kool- Aid and believed the freaking idiot
am I p***** yep , am i going to move becaue of it , NO

To me the federal tax is more than the small state tax and I am smart enought to itemize.

What stokes me is just the perception to the business community
that is what gets to me more than anyting else and enough has been said to literally irk people like me to no end with the current idiots in control of Illinois

I don't think it will all change but I strongly believe enough has been broug out to make some action wit the voters and the outcry
I hope this is a large scale trend. I was perplexed that people didn't realize that a democrat governor and a democrat majority legislature would mean more of the same. I understand Brady's social stances turned people off, but he had no real chance of implementing ANY of those changes. it was pandering to conservative downstate voters. Meanwhile Quinn negotiates an new labor contract with State workers that is very tax-payer unfriendly and the next day the union endorses him.

Last edited by linicx; 06-14-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 06-14-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I hope this is a large scale trend. I was perplexed that people didn't realize that a democrat governor and a democrat majority legislature would mean more of the same. I understand Brady's social stances turned people off, but he had no real chance of implementing ANY of those changes. it was pandering to conservative downstate voters. Meanwhile Quinn negotiates an new labor contract with State workers that is very tax-payer unfriendly and the next day the union endorses him.
Ha I admit this , I was fooled. And now we have the mccormick issue
Just one thing after the other

madigan scares me more than anyone along with cullerton (not slamming on them) I just have a different stance on issues right now at this point in my life and what i believe the priorities should be with this state.

This state has so muc potential and these people are just slowing us down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois