Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 PM

4 posts, read 40,931 times

Advertisements

We just moved here to Illinois from Indiana because of my husband losing his job and getting one over here.(His job is in Rantoul to be exact...but I DON'T want to live in Rantoul!) We are suffering from great sticker shock on the price of homes (especially newer ones) and the taxes here are astronomical here in Champaign county area. Can anyone explain this to me? We lived in a very nice area in Indy (Hamilton County) and the homes were much more reasonably priced, and the taxes were much lower than here. I just don't get it! Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 AM

474 posts, read 2,539,081 times
Default In General, Taxes Are For 'your' Services

Dear Friend:

There are many reasons why Illinois taxes are higher than those in Indiana. However, in general, taxes are used to pay for the services that 'you' (anyone as a resident) receives. In the city of Chicago or any other large city, there is so much trucking and so much population density - - that higher taxes have to be collected to pay for all of this. Worn out roads, etc. Also keep in mind that Chicago was once the home of Al Capone. From this statement, you can perhaps extrapolate as to what I might mean.
In the past, I have written an 'OP' entitled something like "The Bible Belt Starts In Effingham, Illinois'. So please view the comments on that original post of the "Illinois" Forum site.
In short, if your family is stuck in the Rantoul area for employment - - then find a 'suburb' of Rantoul that is reminiscent of the characteristics of "The Bible Belt". However, choose such a community that is close enough in driving to employment in Rantoul.

Best Regards,

MOD CUT: May not advertise in city forums

Last edited by linicx; 06-13-2011 at 05:31 PM..

Old 09-21-2007, 07:39 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,351,543 times
Yes Illinois property taxes are high. Gas taxes are high. Insurance is higher in metro areas. We do have more jobs than the surrounding states though. Thus the reason people still live here. Many people look to retire to another state though because of these high taxes.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,340,727 times
Illinois is curupt thats why the taxes are high .......go to Wisconsin or any other state see the roads even the back roads and tell me how come the taxes there are being put to use?

Political change is what taxes are for in ILlinois

Old 09-21-2007, 02:18 PM

474 posts, read 2,539,081 times
Default An Answer To Hkemper

Yes, dear friend, you could be correct about Arthur, Illinois. Frankly, I can't determine the difference between Amish and Mennonites. However, I still believe that in either case, those good folks are more self-sufficient than non - Amish people. I wish I were as self - sufficient as they are. If you have an interest, Bethany House Publishers (Bloomington, MN) has a whole series about the Amish people. One such very interesting reading book is titled "The Postcard" and the entire series of books is written by author Beverly Lewis. You can find these very fascinating books even in Wal - Mart.

Best Regards,

Carter Glass

Old 09-21-2007, 02:28 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellypotamus View Post
We are suffering from great sticker shock on the price of homes (especially newer ones) and the taxes here are astronomical here in Champaign county area.
Do yourself a favor and dont even look at the home prices in Cook, DuPage, Kane or Lake Counties. Youd probably keel over dead, instantly, from shock.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:49 PM

774 posts, read 2,496,500 times
Here's the real answer to the OP's question: public schools in Illinois are mainly funded by local property taxes instead of the state - that's the single largest item you'll find on any Illinois property tax bill. Places such as Indiana have much more funding for public schools at the state level, so those costs aren't passed on as much to property tax bills.

I'm not sure what Carter's reference to Chicago being the home to Al Capone has anything to do with the topic, though. I don't want to get too far off topic, but let's just say that the perception that the Chicago area takes more money from the state in terms of services is pretty much completely wrong - it's the Chicago area with its flush source of revenues (through more companies and higher incomes) that are providing more to the rest of the state on a per capita basis.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:00 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Look at it this way: You are accessing the offer of an employer in IL, said employer supported by the state's infrastructure, which includes roads, schools, colleges and its system of employment security. Much of this costs money and a lot more then less industrialized states; including Indiana.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:03 PM

572 posts, read 2,486,607 times
I think alot of the Tax money goes to the welfare system its unreal how many people in the state are on welfare.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM

4 posts, read 40,931 times
So I have been told by another long time resident of this state....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois