Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 AM

2 posts, read 3,568 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My husband is interviewing for a position at one of the local hospitals. I am trying to do as much research as I can about the area so we can make the best decision. Any input or help would be appreciated.

We are in our early 30s with 3 kids aged 9, 2, and 9 months. Our budget will be fairly large for the area in the $500-$600000 range. We have tossed around the idea of renting for a year wherever we go before making a home purchase.

Where to live-we are coming from a small community outside of Peoria and like the small town feel. It looks like Mahomet might fit the bill as far as that goes. We are also not opposed to living in C-U but school are certainly a consideration. Any recommendations for areas to explore would be appreciated.

Schools-I am gathering that the schools in Champaign and Urbana are not the greatest. Is there a private school in the area that performs well? Of the surrounding communities, which school district is best? Also, my middle son will be starting preschool. Are there any preschools that are recommended?

Recreation-we are big fans of Illinois basketball so we are excited about that prospect. Other than that, what are some things for kids to do? Great parks? Pools? Other recommendations? We are also interested in buying some lake property. Do people from the area go to Clinton Lake or Lake Shelbyville? Also, I will likely be staying home with my younger kids. Are there any parenting groups in the area or other ways to meet people?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 08:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Check into Monticello.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:21 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
There are a few relatively recent similar threads about Champaign. Use the search function.

Old 07-19-2012, 10:17 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
Mahomet sounds like your best choice. I like Monticello, but you won't find much (any?) real estate selection in that price range. When shopping for homes, consider White Heath addresses as well. The actual 2-block by 6-block village of White Heath isn't particularly nice, but there are some great properties between Monticello and Mahomet which have a White Heath address. Most are in the Monticello school district which is decent.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Springfield: Knight's Action Water Park, Henson Zoo and Lake Springfield.
Bloomington-Normal: Rock Climbing Wall, Miller Park Zoo and Lake Bloomington.

I did find the following in separate searches for Champaign, IL and then Urbana IL (Park District). There is a total approaching 30 small city parks between the two communities. None of the parks are particularly large, but they contain everything you are looking for.

Champaign: Centennial, Hessel and Eisner Parks; Children's Prairie Farm, swimming, free waterpark and age appropriate playgrounds, trails, picnic areas, ball fields, plus more.

Urbana: 20 parks with a huge range of things to do such as the Crystal Lake Labyrinth, and activities that include some of the old-tyme games like Horseshoes, and Shuffleboard. There is a large, fenced dog park, too.

Urbana Indoor Aquatic Center offers programs and lessons. It is located on E. Michigan .

The greatest percentage of conversations concerning Urbana-Champaign were centered on college, housing and moving issues. I find several child care groups in the U-C area, though. I did find The Champaign/Urbana Parenting Group here: Click on the RSVP button. Meetups near Champaign, Illinois - Meetup

It would be wise, I think, to rent for 6-12 months while you become acclimated to the new area. Drover and mad paddy know a great deal about the Mahomet, Monticello area and Champaign as a whole.

Good luck and Welcome to your new home!

Last edited by linicx; 07-20-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old 07-19-2012, 12:17 PM

What Peoria-area town are you in now?

Old 07-19-2012, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,568 times
We are in Morton now. Thanks for all of the help! I lived in Champaign for a year while going to U of I but that was under much different circumstances!

Old 07-20-2012, 09:04 AM

Circumstances are strange bedfellows. If you familiar with Peoria you may find things you miss. The good news is you are not so far that you can't easily visit friends and family. Good luck on your move.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:09 PM

If you like Morton, you'll probably enjoy Mahomet. If you want something even more home-towny, like Eureka, Monticello would be the answer. That said, I wouldn't rule out Champaign or Urbana if you have the wherewithal to send your kids to private school. There are some great areas to live and are plenty of private schools to choose from. I've had positive personal experience with Judah Christian. If you prefer a secular private education, I've heard great things about Next Generation. There are several more which I know less about.

Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 PM

Here's a couple of links to the schools.

I particularly liked the *Elastic Clause* in the Dress Code. Pre-k-12: Judah Christian School - Champaign, Illinois (IL) - independent education

This school appears to serve K-8 Next Generation School / Next Generation School / Next Generation School
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois