Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 06:12 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
In nearly every category I looked at, though, the top tier schools from each coast fared well, and almost exclusively in he top 15. Too often the Midwestern, Southern, Southeastern, and Southwestern schools were not in the top 25, and some didn't even score in the top 150. The fact is top 4.0 students graduate from schools across America.
not taking a thing from east coast universities; they have earned their position as the #1 region in the nation for top ranked colleges. But I'm still left wondering: isn't there somewhat of a bias that elevates ivy league universities above all the rest? I think there is a perception out there, particularly on the east coast, that if a list would be made of universities outside the region that are as good as the best of the ivies, the list would consist of Stanford. Period. And neither the likes of Duke, Chicago, nor Northwestern would get their due. And the perception would eliminate the possibility that the best of the publics....Cal, U-M, UVa, UCLA.....could even be considered.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Apparently the bias is in the education. In some categories neither UIC nor UICU placed in the top 150 schools. It doesn't bode well for any party school, which by the way UICU was elevated in rank from the #11 party spot the previous year, and neither did the "clout" scandal of 2009, or the Law School scandal of 2011.

As a side note I was surprised to learn 74% of UICU students received financial aid to the tune of $755M for the 2011/2012 school year, as well as the number of prestigious Chicago high schools that were named as having "clout" with politicians and ultimately the flagship school. Eight hundred students were on the "I" list, and more than a handful were under-performing, or had previously been denied.

If UIUC is a top tier school in today's reality then it needs to drop out of the party scene, avoid the stupidity that breeds scandals, and either restructure coursework that students avoid/show no interest in, or kill it. A light can not shine through dirty windows, and you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Last edited by linicx; 08-22-2012 at 11:21 PM..

Old 08-23-2012, 06:24 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
UIowa's enrollment in the ball park with the rest of the B10 publics.
Not really. They have 30,000. The others have 45,000-55,000.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:31 AM

2,918 posts, read 4,206,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
not taking a thing from east coast universities; they have earned their position as the #1 region in the nation for top ranked colleges.
If by "earned their position" you mean "are located where the first Europeans settled," then sure, I could agree with that.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:40 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Apparently the bias is in the education. In some categories neither UIC nor UICU placed in the top 150 schools. It doesn't bode well for any party school, which by the way UICU was elevated in rank from the #11 party spot the previous year, and neither did the "clout" scandal of 2009, or the Law School scandal of 2011.

As a side note I was surprised to learn 74% of UICU students received financial aid to the tune of $755M for the 2011/2012 school year, as well as the number of prestigious Chicago high schools that were named as having "clout" with politicians and ultimately the flagship school. Eight hundred students were on the "I" list, and more than a handful were under-performing, or had previously been denied.

If UIUC is a top tier school in today's reality then it needs to drop out of the party scene, avoid the stupidity that breeds scandals, and either restructure coursework that students avoid/show no interest in, or kill it. A light can not shine through dirty windows, and you cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
And then there is the cost. I have had parents share stories how OUT of state tuition at Indiana-Bloomington and U of Iowa are cheaper than U of IL IN state tuition. And looking at the rankings, I don't see how it's justified. Is it the Chicago/Springfield "way" driving up costs? The "My pooh don't stink" mind set? It really blows my mind. AND don't get me started on their admissions................

Old 08-23-2012, 11:50 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,262,628 times
Springfield and Chicago adjusted the collective pince-nez on its long, narrow nose and sneered at its humble roots for so long the only people in the state who pay any attention to the puppet city, or the play pen, live there. The sad fact is, this prevailing attitude is subtly expressed in State Tourism, election year photo opportunities, snarky replies to valid questions, etc.. Their is nothing genuine about either city.

It is especially painful when needed services for school safety is bypassed in favor of a Chicago or a Springfield school. As the admin of IDOT said recently to me, "When a child is killed we might do something about then."

When a kid dies because of party politics "THEN" is a little bit too little and a lot too late.

Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,831,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiNaan View Post
Not really. They have 30,000. The others have 45,000-55,000.
it's certainly the smallest of the state B10 schools, other than, I think, UNL. but that 30,000 is closer to the enrollment of other B10 schools than Iowa as a state is the population of those states. I may be wrong, but I think that a number of B10 schools are closer to 40,000 than the 45,000. I was under the impression that only MSU, OSU, and Minn were of that size (but could be wrong)

Old 08-23-2012, 03:01 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
And then there is the cost. I have had parents share stories how OUT of state tuition at Indiana-Bloomington and U of Iowa are cheaper than U of IL IN state tuition. And looking at the rankings, I don't see how it's justified. Is it the Chicago/Springfield "way" driving up costs? The "My pooh don't stink" mind set? It really blows my mind. AND don't get me started on their admissions................
But that's not true. Their out of state tuition is much more expensive compared to our in state

Old 08-23-2012, 03:52 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,263,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
But that's not true. Their out of state tuition is much more expensive compared to our in state
You are correct. I should have researched instead of relying on info from friends. Scholarships probably played into it. According to Huffington post, dated 2-2010 Illinois in-state tuition is over $23K. Still a LOT more than IN-State tuition at the other 2 u of I's.

Old 08-23-2012, 04:16 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,251,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
You are correct. I should have researched instead of relying on info from friends. Scholarships probably played into it. According to Huffington post, dated 2-2010 Illinois in-state tuition is over $23K. Still a LOT more than IN-State tuition at the other 2 u of I's.
Illinois, even before things went South, was never good at keeping education cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois