Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:57 PM

219 posts, read 455,397 times

Advertisements

Why you leaving us!! Ohio rocks, lol jk.. Chicago is a nice city but just get use to having the entire state population of Ohio plus a few 100,000 people compacted into an area that is Chicagoland..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 06:00 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIowan View Post
Why you leaving us!! Ohio rocks, lol jk.. Chicago is a nice city but just get use to having the entire state population of Ohio plus a few 100,000 people compacted into an area that is Chicagoland..
I think that's kind of the point.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strlovely View Post
So my husband and I and our 4 month old daughter are talking about relocating to numerous areas.One Our top choices being Chicago. We plan to visit in February 2013. And plan to move October 2013.

He has a major in Communications and I don't have a degree. We are planning to go without jobs lined up but we will have 10,000 with us. We do plan to try and apply for jobs while still in Ohio though. So we are not sure how much we'd be bringing home when we got there. So our budget is well, cheap.

Right now we know that Chicago is a lot more expensive than Ohio. Currently we pay 600 for a 2 bedroom, with being paid a little over minimum wage which is $7.75 here.

Any ideas or suggestions would be amazing! Thank you!

I was offered a handful of positions in the Chicago area early in my career - and turned them all down until our family income was well north of $50k.

Why? The price of HOUSING in a decent neighborhood is SUBSTANTIALLY higher in both the city and the suburban area. I live in a suburb in the far outskirts of Chicago and would be hard-pressed to find a cheap two bedroom condo for rent for under $1,000. (For the record, I have lived in Cincinnati, Dayton, and Cleveland and could easily find the same place for $600 with a little shopping.)

Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Very true!

I can't tell you how many folks that try shopping for even a very basic apartment in a far from desirable part of the region end up in a really awful complex simply becuase that is all that they can afford. It makes no sense to live with the notices and chaos that comes with some of these places. It will be very difficult to advance your own career or even for your kids to get the kind of environment that is conducive to academic success if you all can't get a good night sleep and feel safe. Too many of the poorly run complexes have no mechanism to those about trouble makers and even one bad tenant can make a dozen or more people regret living in a low priced complex...

Once you can afford even a little quieter / better run apartment it makes a whole lot more sense to relocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I was offered a handful of positions in the Chicago area early in my career - and turned them all down until our family income was well north of $50k.

Why? The price of HOUSING in a decent neighborhood is SUBSTANTIALLY higher in both the city and the suburban area. I live in a suburb in the far outskirts of Chicago and would be hard-pressed to find a cheap two bedroom condo for rent for under $1,000. (For the record, I have lived in Cincinnati, Dayton, and Cleveland and could easily find the same place for $600 with a little shopping.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois