Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2013, 07:21 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,482,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortySeven View Post
Again, you get what you pay for. I dont like the high property taxes at all. But move to Indiana from Chicago?? You have to be joking!! Life is made up of what you do and see. I can see great things in Chicago. Buildings, sports, shows, concerts, anything you want.
Living in Indiana would be like living on the moon. I drive thru N. Indiana all the time and there aint much there! Talk about a city thats an embarrassment to the nation, take a ride thru downtown Hammond. For decades every store front has been borded up except for massage parlors and strip clubs. No offense to anyone from Indiana but Ill pay a couple grand more in taxes to enjoy life as I do rather than.....that!
One of the most Ignorant post so far this year.
First Northwest Indiana IS a part of Chicagoland. Heck the upper part of Hammond is a 30 minute commute away from the Loop.
Second Munster, Indiana has better schools than many similar Illinois suburbs. Illinois education system is a trainwreck and the state doesnt have the money to support public education. Indiana does and since our states budget is balanced we can A afford to cut the income tax rate by 10% AND fund education/transportation and other priorities.
Third drive through northern Indiana and nothing is there? oh please like outside of Chicago Illinois is any different. Heck drive through munster and then come back and say that with an honest face.
Ive been through Hammond before and out of the 3 northern cities East Chicago/Gary and Hammond. Hammond is clearly doing the best of the 3 and it can hold its own.
Talk about Chicago Ignorance.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
Taxes are out of control in Northern Illinois all the counties .
that's what most people are fed up with. I meet people who pay $5000-$10,000 per year in property tax.
that's not including insurance or HOA fees
Whats those people's home value cause im more interested in the % they pay in taxes relative to a homes value.
5k-10k a year in property taxes on a 100k home is terrible and is like 5-10%.
200k home would be 2.5-5%
You would have to own a 500k to 1 Million dollar home in Indiana to get property taxes that high.
the 1% capped property taxes in Indiana works wonders.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:24 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,345,471 times
Yep, the Illinois education system is a disgrace compared to the blooming, pure flower that is the Indiana education system. So, why don't we compare educational attainment?

% of the population with a HS diploma

86.6% (Indiana) vs 86.4% (Illinois)--nearly identical rates

% of the population with an undergraduate degree

30.6% (Illinois) vs. 22.5% (Indiana)--pretty large gap

% of the population with a graduate degree

11.7% (Illinois) vs. 8.1% (Indiana)--enough said

Kids that live in Narnian-style glass houses shouldn't throw stones...

Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 PM

16,361 posts, read 30,070,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Yep, the Illinois education system is a disgrace compared to the blooming, pure flower that is the Indiana education system. So, why don't we compare educational attainment?

Or as an alternative explanation, people with bachelor and advanced degrees move INTO Illinois. I am in the 11.7% although I NEVER attended an Illinois school.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,542,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortySeven View Post
I drive thru N. Indiana all the time and there aint much there!

How can you miss all those Chicagolanders escaping to the west side of Michigan on I-94 every weekend? My relatives in northern Indiana call it "the Chicago freight train".

Old 02-24-2013, 08:53 PM

4,671 posts, read 7,345,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Or as an alternative explanation, people with bachelor and advanced degrees move INTO Illinois. I am in the 11.7% although I NEVER attended an Illinois school.
And I am in the 11.7% and I did (and know several people who also did). The point is that there are several good schools in Illinois, just as there are in Indiana. And there are several crappy schools in Illinois just as there are in Indiana. But of course, BRG could/would never admit it because he is so politically polarized. It doesn't matter how good or bad your schools are, how good or bad your infrastructure is, how well people are taken care of or aren't so long as taxes are low. But then, he's probably the type to decry taxes while standing on a sidewalk under a streetlight and the leaves and drives home in a government-subsidized American car running on subsidized gasoline while driving down a federally-funded expressway...

Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM

14,802 posts, read 17,562,567 times
A couple of things, BRG is a kid living with his parents in south bend, and Indiana has one of the worst education systems in the us.

Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,185,197 times
I feel sorry for BRG

Old 02-24-2013, 11:27 PM

25 posts, read 58,066 times
Quote:

Q: Why does Illinois' corn lean to the east?

A: Indiana sucks and Iowa blows.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:

if your not going to give a link then your numbers dont mean squat.
I can pull numbers out of a hat too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois