Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

And maybe you should learn to read before you hit the quote button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I didn't call you ignorant. I said that BRG's outrageous claims-- which he represents as fact-- belie HIS ignorance. Please be less selective in your reading.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 AM

//www.city-data.com/forum/28504344-post158.html

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by srsmn View Post
I didn't call you ignorant. I said that BRG's outrageous claims-- which he represents as fact-- belie HIS ignorance. Please be less selective in your reading.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:05 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Point being that Chicago, no matter what metric you want to use (city population, MSA, CSA, GDP etc.), is significantly bigger than Indianapolis, which should stay out of this thread since it is irrelevant.

Old 03-04-2013, 09:47 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,095,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
And maybe you should learn to read before you hit the quote button.
I quoted you because you seemed to be insinuating that I didn't know what the Census was. I most certainly do.

The next part of the post was to reiterate that BRG doesn't know what he's talking about. Nothing more, nothing less.

I honestly do not know why you are getting so worked up about this, or why this is so difficult for you to understand...

Old 03-04-2013, 10:44 AM

BRG? He is a high school kid who is loyal to Indiana

Old 03-05-2013, 12:42 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
BRG? He is a high school kid who is loyal to Indiana
And will defend Indiana and especially Indianapolis to the depths of hell, even if against all odds he is most certainly wrong.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:11 AM

He is a member. Wrong or not, he has the same right to voice his opinion as any other member. He also has much to learn, which is why we take the time to try to broaden his view. Most of the time his ears are closed - a typical reaction from a teenager. And he wants to be an Indiana legislator.

He thinks he understands Chicago politics and he loves his grandparents who live downstate. He has an unrealistic fear the Chicago tax issues will over-burden his grandparents. Hopefully he will come to understand Chicago tax issues do not generally affect those not living outside of Cook County.

The drought combined with excessive heat equals poor yield which affects downstate more directly than Chicago tax issues. It also affects the cost of food at the grocery store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
And will defend Indiana and especially Indianapolis to the depths of hell, even if against all odds he is most certainly wrong.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:40 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
Wow 17 pages and a good 15 going after a kid. Comical. Now back to the topic of Illinois and not just Chicago. There's really one common denominator with every area of the state and that's well, the state. When you spend spend and spend some more, you often times end up in a financial hellhole. If you are a college student, living in an apartment by yourself or with roommates or fresh out of school doing the same, odds are even in IL, you're really not going to feel it. Once you start popping out babies and need to take a closer look at oh, housing, public schools, etc. you start to feel how those extra rate hikes hit your pocket book, all part of being a grown up. Obviously, if you live in NE Illinois, taxes in Indiana and Wisconsin are just cheaper and sometimes noticeably cheaper so sure there are some who have moved and/or looking to for that very reason. It's cheaper and you can still enjoy the city. SW Illinois around STL, you can run into the same issue. Is it cheaper to live in MO vs. living on the Illinois side and that's what it really boils down to for Illinois. People leave mainly due to its cost of living IMO. Not that one state is just better and someone just have to move out, just sometimes people get priced out or people move for jobs like someone in the Central part of the state who wants that type of lifestyle but needs employment and opts for oh, in and around Terre Haute. Sometimes, things happen.

The overall tax burden of a state, who really thinks about that? I would venture to say the average person does not. Oh no, Illinois can't pay pensions let me not move there doesn't exist. Sure if you stay remotely up to date you know the issue is there but it's not stopping anybody from being a teacher or moving to Chicago or the burbs. The state would literally have to get on the airwaves and say we have to tax you to death starting tomorrow in order for that to be a truly valid reason for people to just up and move en mass.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:54 AM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Obviously, if you live in NE Illinois, taxes in Indiana and Wisconsin are just cheaper and sometimes noticeably cheaper so sure there are some who have moved and/or looking to for that very reason.

Except almost every city in northwest Indiana is shrinking.

Old 03-05-2013, 11:24 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Except almost every city in northwest Indiana is shrinking.
And WI has a higher tax burden than IL. I love WI btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois