Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM

31 posts, read 75,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Ever been to ... white, rural America? Seriously, people from rural Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, Iowa, Indiana, even places in Minnesota drive pick-up trucks, watch Nascar, listen to country music. The first time I rode with my partner's sister, she was listening to "Redneck Woman" in her car, and she lives outside of Eau Claire.
White rural America? Kankakee is 60 miles from Chicago. LOL

They try so hard to be southern. Redneck woman is a perfect example of that. The people in Kankakee try to distance themselves so much from Chicagoland culture and the suburbs. The people make fun of Kankakee for a reason. They think Kankakee is nothing but hillbillies. I've heard it first hand. People from Chicagoland make fun of anything and anyone that is south of I-80. Especially the 20 somethings who hang out in Lincoln and Wicker Park or the River North.

Bottom line is, when you live in Illinois, act like a northerner. Songs such as Redneck woman are not a northern song talking about sophistication. IF you live in Alabama, crank Redneck woman all day long cause you definately live a southern life.

I dont know why people in Illinois would want to call themselves rednecks anyway. Its a degrading word for uneducated poor white people who live in trailer parks.

Pick up trucks, country music, ya'll instead of you guys, mudding, and nascar were created by southerners. If you live in the North and do those type of things you are nothing but a poser.

I find it quite comical.

Also...... The woman that told me she was a southern girl. She really thinks she is southern even though she grew up and was raised in northern Illinois. She refers to her mother as momma. LMAO And she refuses to wear nothing but cowboy boots. She says Ya'll instead of you guys. If you talked to her you would hear this language she uses. Its very very bazarre why she tries so hard to be southern.

Last edited by StarsandStripes79; 01-11-2013 at 09:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,065,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsandStripes79 View Post

They try so hard to be southern. Redneck woman is a perfect example of that. The people in Kankakee try to distance themselves so much from Chicagoland culture and the suburbs. The people make fun of Kankakee for a reason. They think Kankakee is nothing but hillbillies. I've heard it first hand. People from Chicagoland make fun of anything and anyone that is south of I-80. Especially the 20 somethings who hang out in Lincoln and Wicker Park or the River North.
DOWTOWN Chicago. It's only about 50 miles from the south side. As I JUST showed you with Google Maps. Did you not read that post? Why aren't you even bothering to correct yourself?

Kankakee has more in common with Harvey than the picture you're painting, really. Kankakee is infamous for having white crackheads moreso than "hillbillies".

There are plenty of suburbs south of I-80. Are you saying Homewood, Hazel Crest, Lansing and Richton Park aren't suburbs?

You are trolling and this thread should be closed. And I rarely say that.

Last edited by urza216; 01-11-2013 at 09:25 AM..

Old 01-11-2013, 09:15 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Quote:
It may be 60 miles from Chicago, but it is still a relatively low-populated, rural area.

Most of these things you describe are more a product of rural America than being solely "Southern."

Also, "Redneck Woman" is a song by Gretchen Wilson who, if I recall correctly, is also from white, rural Illinois.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It may be 60 miles from Chicago, but it is still a relatively low-populated, rural area.

Most of these things you describe are more a product of rural America than being solely "Southern."

Also, "Redneck Woman" is a song by Gretchen Wilson who, if I recall correctly, is also from white, rural Illinois.
The problem is that you're more likely to find a gangbanger in downtown Kankakee than a "redneck woman".. You're assuming this guy isn't making stuff up.

AGAIN - Kankakee is about 50 miles from Chicago State University in Chicago, Illinois. Why are you people just ignoring my posts and reveling in ignorance and nonsense some guy made up?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

Really? I didn't know having a confederate flag in your front yard hanging from your porch was a Northern thing. First time I saw this in Illinois was in Kankakee county. Iroquois county I've seen the same thing. What do you have to say about that?

Also seems like Gretchen Wilson is a poser also. Who in their right mind living in Illinois would be proud to call themselves a redneck? Are you kidding me here?

Lets see if you can answer me a question. How come people in Barrington don't do these things but people in Kankakee and Iroquois counties do them? Why are people in Barrington walking around in J Crew and people in Kankakee shop at Farm and Fleet? Why? Cause Kankakee is in Northern Illinois and so is Barrington. So explain to me why even though they come from the same part of the state, that Kankakee county people are so much different than the people who live in Dupage County?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Really? I didn't know having a confederate flag in your front yard hanging from your porch was a Northern thing. First time I saw this in Illinois was in Kankakee county. Iroquois county I've seen the same thing. What do you have to say about that?

Also seems like Gretchen Wilson is a poser also. Who in their right mind living in Illinois would be proud to call themselves a redneck? Are you kidding me here?

Lets see if you can answer me a question. How come people in Barrington don't do these things but people in Kankakee and Iroquois counties do them? Why are people in Barrington walking around in J Crew and people in Kankakee shop at Farm and Fleet? Why? Cause Kankakee is in Northern Illinois and so is Barrington.
Sounds like a good way to get the **** kicked out of you in Kankakee. Some would say "shot" but I think that's paranoia.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post
Sounds like a good way to get the **** kicked out of you in Kankakee. Some would say "shot" but I think that's paranoia.
It wasn't in Kankakee's city limits. This was out in the county area.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
It wasn't in Kankakee's city limits. This was out in the county area.
Bradley and Bourbanais have been flooded with transplants from southern Cook County. Kankakee is an old industrial town like Harvey or Detroit.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urza216 View Post

AGAIN - Kankakee is about 50 miles from Chicago State University in Chicago, Illinois. Why are you people just ignoring my posts and reveling in ignorance and nonsense some guy made up?
Sorry, wasn't trying to ignore your post...you posted about the same time that I did. I don't think a 10 mi difference really changes how stupid of an argument this whole thing is anyway.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Why are people in Barrington walking around in J Crew and people in Kankakee shop at Farm and Fleet? Why? Cause Kankakee is in Northern Illinois and so is Barrington. So explain to me why even though they come from the same part of the state, that Kankakee county people are so much different than the people who live in Dupage County?
Kankakee is still much more rural and separate from Chicagoland than Barrington is, in my opinion; but:

Kankakee, IL: Estimated median household income in 2009: $31,705

Barrington, IL: Estimated median household income in 2009: $106,973
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois