Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 01:56 PM

99 posts, read 112,101 times

Advertisements

Why was their race riots?

People can't stop can they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 03:10 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgirl View Post
Imo, most Southern Illinois residents are quite content with their lives, and are right where they want to be. Further more, most don't give a rat's a** what other people think anyways! Just my opinion, of course.
I agree with sandgirl. Just because I was born in a small town in Southern Ill. doesn`t make me any less of a person, than someone who was born and raised in a big city.
Thats the vibe I get from reading some of these past posts.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:10 PM

81 posts, read 327,556 times
No, it is not a random move at all. My spouse has siblings which require constant medical care and family support, which we can provide, so I asked for a job transfer.

In fact, we are visiting this weekend and a few more times until we find a place to live so if anyone knows of a home for rent with no less than 4 bedrooms and pet friendly, send them my way!

Thanks to everyone for all of your input on this site! I will take everything I read into consideration and weigh out our options as we look for a new place to call home.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:14 PM

38 posts, read 134,501 times
The issue really is more about urban / rural culture than it is about geography and I've seen it everywhere I've been. The same kind of cultural disconnect that's been recently displayed by the junior Senator from Illinois is frequently seen by folks that either live in an urban envrironment, or that would prefer to if they could. Rural Americans are seen by urbanites as Earl Hickey or Larry the Cable Guy types, while rural folks view the urbanites as "uppity and snotty".

One great thing about this country is that if we don't want to live where we're at, we're free to move to wherever we want to.

New2SouthernIL, It sounds like you've already got your job situation taken care of and IMHO, you're close enough to visit the "Big City" when you want to and far enough away to take advantage of housing prices and some nice countryside. Since your spouse has siblings in the area, I'm sure you'll adapt pretty quickly.

Last edited by computerguysd; 04-15-2008 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: respond to new comments

Old 04-15-2008, 06:04 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I agree with sandgirl. Just because I was born in a small town in Southern Ill. doesn`t make me any less of a person, than someone who was born and raised in a big city.
Thats the vibe I get from reading some of these past posts.
Not less of a person by any means. But depending on one's life goals, there are certain obstacles to overcome here, that a person born and raised elsewhere doesn't have to deal with.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,009,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
Why was their race riots?

People can't stop can they?
Look up Cairo IL on wikipedia.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 PM

51 posts, read 63,855 times
I spent 22 years in southern Illinois, and everything that is being said is absolutely true. People are getting upset and acting like anyone who dislikes or finds fault in southern Illinois thinks they are a bunch of slack jawed yokels. In reality, you are doing a great job of proving (our) point. You can't see outside of your little bubble called southern Illinois. Move 70 miles west to St. Louis, or 300 miles north to Chicago, and see how quickly you want to come back. Some people may want to, my wife and I are definitely not one of them.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:35 PM

From what i read, it doesn't suprise me a bit.

How is their a more black population their? Their is no major urban areas near by but St Luis.

It either could be the Illinois Central or the Greyhound route their too.

My Aunt claims its a Cat Fish hole which atrracts African Americans to live near the river.

I find that harsh but thats fact.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:41 PM

51 posts, read 63,855 times
^ A more black population there? Huh? Benton and West Frankfort in Franklin County are in the "Top 100 Least Racially Diverse Cities" on city-data.com.

Blacks and other minorities are few and far between in southern Illinois.

In fact, Mt. vernon is where you will often hear southern Illinoisans calling "N****rville" (trust me, that's how southern Illinois works..sad, huh?), and it is only 17 percent black.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:08 PM

thats kinda harsh though cuz Mt Vernon is a very nice town with a rich history.

Cairo has 61percent black but why? You don't find that in farming communities. Thats thanks to the idiot police dept's that are racist and like to keep thing status quo.

I know its mean but its fact. hell i lived in Greenup which os part of southern il and that town is 100 white. Me and my wife were at a bowling alley and a nice black coupel came in to get a drink and play one of the arcades and all a sudden, a cop came in and said: Quote: you have business here? If not you got 5 minutes.

Thats how bad it can get and these people were miding their own business so southern Il isn't all hospitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois