Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM

109 posts, read 238,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostopsy View Post
Seriously, what "rights" are you talking about? Rights cannot be taken away if they are not given. There is nothing in the Bill of Rights that guarantees marriage for anyone, straight or otherwise. I used to support gay marriage, or civil unions til the P.C. police and their bully tactics had me fed up with the way they were pushing the issue. In my opinion, it will open the flood gates of waste, fraud, and abuse, while only benefiting a small number of people. While we are one of the worst states to do business with, along with other "blue" states CA, NY, MA, we also rank number one in debt. Yet social issues are more important to Springfield than getting things fixed. And you wonder why people are leaving.
Yeah, this is true. I work for a non-for-profit organization which involves politics, and you'd be surprised at the number of SERIOUS issues and bills in Chicago and Illinois are just sitting collecting dust meanwhile gay marriage gets this insane push. And I'm talking about issues and bills like school funding, youth jobs to keep youth off the streets and out of gangs, immigration reform to keep families united which is a human right, lack of access to healthy food etc. Most of these issues are in black and Latino communities and people are fighting for REAL social issues. We're out here fighting for our youth and families and fighting tooth and nail, but while some little kid is going to a substandard school with old textbooks and another kid is afraid that his mom might be deported, the very first thing on the agenda for this state is whether or not men can marry each other. What the hell?

Like I said, it's insane. The only reason the gay lobby has so much clout is because it is a mostly overprivilaged upper middle classed movement of white males/females, who really have no REAL problems in life except that they cant marry their boyfriend/girlfriend, whereas there are other people in the city/state who don't even have food in the fridge and are barely surviving month-to-month. Those are REAL problems. What REAL problems and struggle do these guys in Boystown really know about? Not a damn thing, but folks dealing with debt, poverty, and unemployment have to get in line behind these gay yuppies who got everything in life thousands of other people want. But because they cant get married to another man, their life is apparently so fuking hard. Gimme a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 12:00 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,125,587 times
This is not so. Yes I know well educated LGBT that live a privileged life; my cousin is one, but I know a lot more who are poor and do not live well. Neither Chicago nor the federal government, are responsible for, nor can they cure, all of societies ills.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:29 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,075,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthsideTillIDie View Post
Yeah, this is true. I work for a non-for-profit organization which involves politics, and you'd be surprised at the number of SERIOUS issues and bills in Chicago and Illinois are just sitting collecting dust meanwhile gay marriage gets this insane push. And I'm talking about issues and bills like school funding, youth jobs to keep youth off the streets and out of gangs, immigration reform to keep families united which is a human right, lack of access to healthy food etc. Most of these issues are in black and Latino communities and people are fighting for REAL social issues. We're out here fighting for our youth and families and fighting tooth and nail, but while some little kid is going to a substandard school with old textbooks and another kid is afraid that his mom might be deported, the very first thing on the agenda for this state is whether or not men can marry each other. What the hell?

Like I said, it's insane. The only reason the gay lobby has so much clout is because it is a mostly overprivilaged upper middle classed movement of white males/females, who really have no REAL problems in life except that they cant marry their boyfriend/girlfriend, whereas there are other people in the city/state who don't even have food in the fridge and are barely surviving month-to-month. Those are REAL problems. What REAL problems and struggle do these guys in Boystown really know about? Not a damn thing, but folks dealing with debt, poverty, and unemployment have to get in line behind these gay yuppies who got everything in life thousands of other people want. But because they cant get married to another man, their life is apparently so fuking hard. Gimme a break.
Are you even halfway serious with that? Those are definitely some of the most ignorant comments I've heard on this thread in a long time.

gay people are people just like everyone else - they just happen to be gay. They don't magically have money and privilage just cause they were born gay. If anything gays have it harder, especially during youth, as many straight people due to the stress and hardships of coming out and dealing with all the backlash. There's a HUGE issue of gay homelessness and poverty in the country as a result of this. There might be very well off gays in Boystown (although I go there a lot and it's certainly not a wealthy crowd overall, pretty typical of the city with all levels of economics) but a majority of the gays don't live there because it's fairly expensive. Just like most of the straight people in the city don't live in Lincoln Park. Most gay people live in the suburbs and live average lives.

The proportion of gays among the wealthy white families is just the same as the proportion in impoverished families in Englewood. Why would you even remotely think they've had everything handed to them in life and wouldn't understand hardship? Such a backwards statement.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:57 AM

147 posts, read 278,761 times
Will it be safe for a gay couple to request a marriage license in Wayne County, IL??

I know a gay couple who wants to go back to where one of them are from to get married.
Will they be allowed to get married or will they prevent them based on personal beliefs. And will they just be abrasive during there special day?

Will it be unwelcome, Unfriendly, abrasive. Don't go there for there own safety.
Or is it rather rural and conservative, but you can receive a marriage license here no problem, even if it is with clenched teeth.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 AM

Once they have the license in hand they can marry where they want. This is isn't in effect, I don't think, before June. Wayne County is in deep southern Illinois. If one has family there and they approve then it is a family event.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Once they have the license in hand they can marry where they want. This is isn't in effect, I don't think, before June. Wayne County is in deep southern Illinois. If one has family there and they approve then it is a family event.
Talking about a justice of the peace marriage at city hall

Old 11-21-2013, 02:15 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,159,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
Will it be safe for a gay couple to request a marriage license in Wayne County, IL??

I know a gay couple who wants to go back to where one of them are from to get married.
Will they be allowed to get married or will they prevent them based on personal beliefs. And will they just be abrasive during there special day?

Will it be unwelcome, Unfriendly, abrasive. Don't go there for there own safety.
Or is it rather rural and conservative, but you can receive a marriage license here no problem, even if it is with clenched teeth.
I can't speak for the views of the people who live there, but legally they will have to be given a marriage license once the law goes into effect. It would be a violation of state law to refuse them.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:03 PM

As far as I know there has not been a J.P in illinois for years. However, Judges, retired judges, etc.. can marry if they have the authority. You must marry in the country where you applied for a license. You'll need ID and proof of age. You do not have to be an Illinois resident. But you do have to wait 24-hours, and you do have to marry within 60 days in the SAME County where you get the license. If you are first cousins you must be 50 years or older.

The county where you marry may have additional rules. It would be good check before you go.

As
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah I've been there View Post
Talking about a justice of the peace marriage at city hall

Old 11-21-2013, 07:26 PM

n/m

Old 11-21-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
As far as I know there has not been a J.P in illinois for years. However, Judges, retired judges, etc.. can marry if they have the authority. You must marry in the country where you applied for a license. You'll need ID and proof of age. You do not have to be an Illinois resident. But you do have to wait 24-hours, and you do have to marry within 60 days in the SAME County where you get the license. If you are first cousins you must be 50 years or older.

The county where you marry may have additional rules. It would be good check before you go.

As
thanks! God Bless you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois