Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 08:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times

Advertisements

Zones,

I don't know of which roads you speak? If you are on Galena Road it is not in the City of Peoria. All of the roads in Illinois north of SoIL suffer the same fate: freeze and thaw. The freeze line is not the same in every county or on every road. IL also suffers from tons of through traffic on major routes and major streets. Unless a sinkhole develops road repair won't begin much before late Spring; most road repair is started and finished in the summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
Thanks for clarifying; I wonder if living near the nature reserve affects my rent rates. It's pretty low overall though.

Really though, I wish Peoria would spend some money to fix the atrocious roads...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 10:16 AM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big TR View Post
The state parks in Tennessee are outstanding. The county and city parks where I live are very good as well.

The schools where I live are great.
What qualifies as great?

I am legitimately curious because I said the same thing for Indiana; I fear lots of other states with low taxes take a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach to cutting and I fear that schools are the first thing to go; my SO is in music education so these things would be important to us in the case of relocation. It seems a lot of Southern states are very unfriendly to the arts, but of course that depends on where the money is.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:19 AM

562 posts, read 989,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Zones,

I don't know of which roads you speak? If you are on Galena Road it is not in the City of Peoria. All of the roads in Illinois north of SoIL suffer the same fate: freeze and thaw. The freeze line is not the same in every county or on every road. IL also suffers from tons of through traffic on major routes and major streets. Unless a sinkhole develops road repair won't begin much before late Spring; most road repair is started and finished in the summer.
I hit a pothole that messed up my alignment yesterday on Knoxville. I hit two on Sheridan on approach to the bridge over I-74 southbound to Main Street. E. Glen Ave. is bad shape on approach to Peoria Heights though not as bad as the aforementioned. Nebraska is trashed and that's usually how I cut over from Sheridan to Knoxville to head towards work in the heights, I might need to find a different route that just seems to be the fastest.

I know the roads are subject to this brutal weather but these things are starting to mess with my car which is already on its last legs (not that I expected much from a Ford Taurus LOL). Still, I hit 4 in one day. I hope they fill them soon.

Old 02-28-2013, 01:31 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoness View Post
What qualifies as great?

I am legitimately curious because I said the same thing for Indiana; I fear lots of other states with low taxes take a "shoot first, ask questions later" approach to cutting and I fear that schools are the first thing to go; my SO is in music education so these things would be important to us in the case of relocation. It seems a lot of Southern states are very unfriendly to the arts, but of course that depends on where the money is.
I looked at US News High SChool rankings.
Fred Page HS in Franklin is ranked 14th best in TN. #1820 nationally.
Riverside-Brookfield is ranked #14 in Illinois and is ranked #367 nationally and is just a few spots behind New Trier.
My local HS, Wheeling is ranked #42 in Illinois and #996 nationally. I am always skeptical of school quality truly being "equal" in lower tax areas.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:35 PM

627 posts, read 1,846,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Riverside-Brookfield is ranked #14 in Illinois and is ranked #367 nationally and is just a few spots behind New Trier.
My local HS, Wheeling is ranked #42 in Illinois and #996 nationally. I am always skeptical of school quality truly being "equal" in lower tax areas.
Page is maybe the 4th best High School in Williamson County. These rankings appear to be quite horrible. But I'm not going to argue with you over these rankings.

My 4th grade son is getting a good education and is a smart kid. The schools are very well funded. Upon graduation he will be ready and able to attend any good college in the country.

My wife and I are extremely happy we left Illinois for Tennessee. Less traffic, substantially better weather, significantly lower taxes and a more laid back atmosphere all make it a much better place for us.

Last edited by Big TR; 02-28-2013 at 05:52 PM..

Old 02-28-2013, 05:49 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Zones, one of my repair persons is 8200 N. Knoxville. I cross on Forest Hill with little traffic to Prospect and then N. to Knoxville.

Knoxville is an IL route and a major carrier. As far as I am concerned, Sheridan and Nebraska have never been car friendly streets. Glen is no prize either. Try University to Lake if you don't like Forest Hill. You can pick up 474 to Morton on Sterling by the mall.

There are only five streets with access to PH. Prospect, War Mamorial, Lake, Glen and Knoxville. University has two lights before Forest Hill: Nebraska and McClure.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:04 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,513,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
did you see this ? we are now the 2nd highest for property tax

Illinois Policy Institute - Blog - Illinois sky high property taxes 2nd-highest in nation

I was looking at homes today in all the counties in Northern IL. and I cant believe how high the tax is,
homes are worth less money but the taxes go up and up .

I think this is a major cause for the Exodus to other states .
Thats a no brainer.
jump across the border to Indiana and you have in our state constitution a 1% cap on property taxes for homeowners.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:08 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
This is not surprising. Southern states are not known for good public education.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:28 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Williamson County: Williamson County | Tennessee | Best High Schools | US News

I like TN; but I also believe that there is no "free lunch" and that if someone says "Look at the unbelievably low taxes I pay and the phenomenal schools my kids go to" I am highly skeptical.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:49 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Juast an observation on schools and ratings.
I have hired probably 60-70 people thruoghout my career in states such as WI, IL and now OR.

These people all came from many different backgrounds, schooling and families.

I no longer beleive the quality of the public school they came from, had more than a 20% allocation to their success/failure as an adult or in their career. There are so many other factors that come into play.

I am starting to believe that, as a nation, we are played as fools by the huge Public Education industry. It is time to start talking in terms of how we are being taken advantage of by "Big Education" industry, just as the media likes to talk about "Big Oil."

I am sure Big TR's children have an equal change of succeeding in life coming out of a public school in TN as a kid coming out of the uber rich New Trier schooling system.

There is too much propoganda promoted by "Big Education" to understand the truth.

On another point, I am very glad we no longer pay the high IL prop. taxes!
I think they went up 30 % in the 3 yrs we owned a home in Arlington Heights.
The home also lost 60K value in those same 3 yrs. I was just happy we were able to sell and get out.
Taxes higher - value lower: bad recipe for success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois