Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 09:02 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how much it will cost to change all of the expressway speed limit signs? I know this point seems trivial, but I could imagine it would add up quickly...?

It would probably cost us a couple hundred thousand to have some stickers printed and hire some college kids part time to to go post them. Instead we'll spend several million having $30/hr (plus benefits) union guys install all new signs. And the old signs will just "disappear." (i.e. sold for scrap by the union guys for beer money).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 01:17 AM

4,112 posts, read 9,061,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
It would probably cost us a couple hundred thousand to have some stickers printed and hire some college kids part time to to go post them. Instead we'll spend several million having $30/hr (plus benefits) union guys install all new signs. And the old signs will just "disappear." (i.e. sold for scrap by the union guys for beer money).
Perhaps. However, you're really out of touch with reality. Often times, illegal immigrants are hired for construction projects. And other low-wage earners who complain about not knowing how to speak Spanish.

Because of peaople like you, there aren't too many union jobs outside of the ones that are VERY well established. You've already done your part making life harder for other people. You can stop now. You've won the war, man, What's your problem? Are you anti-union people not gonna rest until teachers make minimum wage on the taxpayer dollar?

And why are you complaining about union guys making enough to survive but not complaining about this?:

Wealth Inequality in America - YouTube

Old 05-24-2013, 07:46 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
With the overall quality of drivers here-NO WAY!!! Europeans and especially Germans have far more rigorous driver training and law enforcement. They definitely treat driver's license as a privilege and not a right.
Buddy of mine was stationed in Germany and he said that the Germans take driving seriously. A lot of cars do not have cup holders, they don't eat, shave, talk on their cell phones, etc. while they drive.

He also said the inspections on vehicles is quite strict as well. No way we could do that here or people would complain and make it class warfare because, you know, it's not fair that people can't drive a car on the road with mismatched tires with 2/32 tread remaining, a cracked windshield and a check engine light on...

Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
There are states that require an annual inspection to get the license plate renewed. Illinois is not one of them. MO. charges $7. The state licensed station gets $5. OK is a little higher. It is a pass/fail test.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:14 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Hi there. As a frequent visitor to Illinois, I've noticed that the interstates have a 65 mph speed limit, and I've had to experience the agony of driving that speed on I-55 to Chicago. Ohio recently raised the speed limit to 70, and Iowa and Missouri both have 70 mph speed limits. Kentucky also has a speed limit of 70. I thought Wisconsin was still 65. I also am pretty sure Indiana has a 70 mph speed limit. Is there any possibility that Illinois will follow its neighboring states and raise the speed limit to 70?

The speed limit in Illinois was 70 before the 55mph nonsense started in 1974.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
There is a lot of push back from LEO across the state.

Loss of revenue generation opportunities, obviously.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:18 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Loss of revenue generation opportunities, obviously.
Actually a chance at more revenue generation. Just narrow the "cushion" from +9 over the limit to +5 over the limit and you have more tickets and revenue than you probably have now. Of course, I am not in favor of this unless they they communicate this change. All it means is people will now be driving 70-80 instead of 65-75. Maybe a few less that will be going 10+ over, but I doubt it. Speed demons will always be speed demons!

Old 05-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Actually a chance at more revenue generation. Just narrow the "cushion" from +9 over the limit to +5 over the limit and you have more tickets and revenue than you probably have now. Of course, I am not in favor of this unless they they communicate this change. All it means is people will now be driving 70-80 instead of 65-75. Maybe a few less that will be going 10+ over, but I doubt it. Speed demons will always be speed demons!

People only speed when the speed limit is underposted. Set the speed limit based on measured 85th percentile vehicle speeds and the number of "speeders" drops to almost nothing.

Old 05-29-2013, 08:47 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
People only speed when the speed limit is underposted. Set the speed limit based on measured 85th percentile vehicle speeds and the number of "speeders" drops to almost nothing.
I have read that research also, although it was quite a long time ago. When it is 70 the data will reflect if 70 is the 85th percentile, or as I believe, still short of that.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:35 AM

5 posts, read 8,528 times
So why hasn't this bill been signed yet? What is taking Quinn so long?

Speed limit on interstate to increase to 70 mph in Illinois
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois