Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 40,169 times

Advertisements

I read a couple reviews online about Pheasant Lake Estates in Beecher, Illinois. Not very reassuring. Still, I'm interested in hearing what someone may have to say about the manufactured home park.

Lot rents, tone of the environment, etc?? Is it family friendly? pet friendly? I have two young children. And would probably get a little dog soon.

I read some reviews that said the lot rents were something like over $500 a month? That's beyond our price range. Might as well buy a traditional house & pay a little more mortgage. I read that it's not family friendly, in that the owner only really welcomes senior citizens?? Both those things really discouraged me.

Also, people were calling the owner a "Nazi" who fines you for 3 inch lawn. Well, that really made me raise an eyebrow.

Since we're not yet in the market (haven't decided on a location is more like it)... I only contacted the park via email .... to no response. We may call once we're very serious if we are still interested in the area.

Before I read these reviews, I totally fell in love with what I found (thru real estate websites AND their own company site... and the fact that I LOVED what I could get for my money!!! It was almost like a dream come true..... dun dun dun... until I read those reviews).

Wondering if what I read was accurate.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2013, 09:26 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,101,930 times
Beecher is small, 98% white population, farming community in Will County. The median family income is about $61,000.

Pheasant Lake Extates is a manufactured home community sitting on roughly 200 acres that includes a pond and fishing. The pond is probably state stocked - which is not uncommon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeche...s#Demographics
Pheasant Lake Estates - Manufactured homes for sale in this Beecher, Illinois community
I found at least 20 listings from $12,000 t0 $85,000 .Be mindful of expensive to maintain eye candy, and why they are for sale. It's a pretty community that 7-12 miles from grocery and a bit farther into Chicago. .

There is a reason people install water conditioners. Also it is very difficult to find home owners insurance on older mobile homes, or those with wood burning fireplaces. If you like the heat from the fireplace, Ace has some nice electric fireplaces , that are safe, low energy, in-cabinet units, that look almost real for $500. It heats an average size, insulated room, very nicely.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:33 PM

Some things to consier before you sign the dotted line. Make she you know what the cost is above the mortgage: lot rent, utilities, HOA. You want to ask all the unanswered questions about schools, does the bus pick up at the house, pets, etc.. Not all allow dogs, and many do not allow dogs outside without a leash on one end and you on the other end. If you don't want to walk a dog in the middle of the night in snow, do not own one. Small dogs can be trained to puppy pads, but they still want outside just like children do.

I noticed one unit for sale on a private lot. It is possible you could have more freedom to do as you wish without a lot or restrctions.

Old 05-26-2013, 09:22 AM

The lack of fences got my attention, too. Never realized about insurance on a mobile home!! I have never purchased before... renter.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:32 PM

4,111 posts, read 9,012,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Beecher is small, 98% white population, farming community in Will County. The median family income is about $61,000.

Pheasant Lake Extates is a manufactured home community sitting on roughly 200 acres that includes a pond and fishing. The pond is probably state stocked - which is not uncommon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beeche...s#Demographics
Pheasant Lake Estates - Manufactured homes for sale in this Beecher, Illinois community
I found at least 20 listings from $12,000 t0 $85,000 .Be mindful of expensive to maintain eye candy, and why they are for sale. It's a pretty community that 7-12 miles from grocery and a bit farther into Chicago. .

There is a reason people install water conditioners. Also it is very difficult to find home owners insurance on older mobile homes, or those with wood burning fireplaces. If you like the heat from the fireplace, Ace has some nice electric fireplaces , that are safe, low energy, in-cabinet units, that look almost real for $500. It heats an average size, insulated room, very nicely.
Beecher is still pretty white. But I HIGHLY doubt it's still 98% white... At least not this century.

Beecher is where suburbanites go to live in the country. And it's inches away from some pretty rough south suburban areas like Sauk Village and Ford Heights..

EDIT: I was right! I just looked up the Beecher, IL City Data page. Beecher is 89% white. Maybe you beat me to it but switched the two numbers, huh?

Old 05-26-2013, 09:09 PM

Demographic really isn't something I'm worried about. 89% vs 98% .. lol. tomatoes/tomahtoes. And all those little stats I can easily read online. And I know about the park's main website. I have a hobby of browsing real estate. Thanks for sharing tho. And its nice to consider if my dog needs a leash or not... but that's not really my main focus right now.

I was just wondering about the rent rates for the lots and if the owner really is as unrealistically strict as she's come off in the reviews. That info about fireplace and insurance was good.

But I wanna know if I can raise my family without much unnecessary hassle as to whether my mailbox is painted blue or white or polkadot. Or if my grass is the right shade of green. Basically personal experience of people who have lived or live there.

I live in my fiance's house right now. He owns... so I may be a renter, but we're not entirely inexperienced. We are just desperate to leave East Chicago, IN. Beecher was on my list because it reminds me of the town I grew up in and the homes were so clean and affordable. There's always a catch.. and I'm trying to find it.

My fiance works in Lansing. We're looking outward from there.. toward Munster, Highland, Dyer.. ... and then I found Beecher. He's not keen on moving into Illinois... but I don't mind either way. I grew up in IL & I just want a good deal.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:22 PM

As you point out demographics is not particularly important. Probably the most important thing to know is Illinois real estate taxes are much higher than Indiana as these stay local to support schools, libraries, etc..

I could find no daily newspaper for Beecher. I did find an on-line edition that will probably serve you well most of the time. There is a classified section with rentals. Most of the rentals I saw were between $750 and $3500 per month for house or condo, but none were in Beecher or in Pheasant Lake Estates.

This does not surprise me as I live rural and I know how difficult it is to find a rental or a small property to buy in a farming community, but it is not impossible. Contact the Clerk of the Village Hall. The Beecher library will have a copy of the village phone book and the latest Village newspaper. In small towns the hardware store clerk, and the waitress (where farmers meet in the early morning for coffee), are more likely to know who is doing what and where before anyone else in town. Most have a bulletin board where items for sell or rent are tacked on; grocery stores do too. There may also be something like a Penny Saver paper that is printed weekly. It's filled with ads, auctions, farm supplies, rentals, pets, etc...

Village of Beecher, Illinois
Joliet area, Will County and Grundy County news

Generally speaking you can live in the county without worrying too much about the color of your mailbox, how often you mow, and whether or not your dog barks all night. Some counties are more restrictive about breeds and noise abatement than others. In town is generally more restrictive about mowing, etc., and more expensive to live.

Members on this forum like Urza know the different little communities, what is safe and what isn't. How close do you want to live to Chicago? Your reply will make a difference.

I've been on this forum for awhile. Will County has been discussed, but I don't ever recall Beecher being mentioned. I don't know whether or not any of our members ever lived in Beecher or the Pheasant Lake Estates. Perhaps one of our many realtors can tell you more about the area?

Old 05-27-2013, 01:36 AM

We do not go into Chicago often enough for the distance of Beecher being an issue. We would probably head into Indiana before Chicago... Munster or Crown point or back toward Joliet to visit family. I also have family in south chicago heights. He in Highland and East Chicago... and other places in that area. Oh and Like I said, my fiance works in Lansing. I used to teach in Crete & from what I remember the schools in the area were not too bad. Probably a HUGE step up from here in East Chicago. Ahh yes...taxes! A point against Illinois. A debate in our house: are the taxes a deal breaker? Haha!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:03 AM

4,111 posts, read 9,012,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
As you point out demographics is not particularly important. Probably the most important thing to know is Illinois real estate taxes are much higher than Indiana as these stay local to support schools, libraries, etc..

I could find no daily newspaper for Beecher. I did find an on-line edition that will probably serve you well most of the time. There is a classified section with rentals. Most of the rentals I saw were between $750 and $3500 per month for house or condo, but none were in Beecher or in Pheasant Lake Estates.

This does not surprise me as I live rural and I know how difficult it is to find a rental or a small property to buy in a farming community, but it is not impossible. Contact the Clerk of the Village Hall. The Beecher library will have a copy of the village phone book and the latest Village newspaper. In small towns the hardware store clerk, and the waitress (where farmers meet in the early morning for coffee), are more likely to know who is doing what and where before anyone else in town. Most have a bulletin board where items for sell or rent are tacked on; grocery stores do too. There may also be something like a Penny Saver paper that is printed weekly. It's filled with ads, auctions, farm supplies, rentals, pets, etc...

Village of Beecher, Illinois
Joliet area, Will County and Grundy County news

Generally speaking you can live in the county without worrying too much about the color of your mailbox, how often you mow, and whether or not your dog barks all night. Some counties are more restrictive about breeds and noise abatement than others. In town is generally more restrictive about mowing, etc., and more expensive to live.

Members on this forum like Urza know the different little communities, what is safe and what isn't. How close do you want to live to Chicago? Your reply will make a difference.

I've been on this forum for awhile. Will County has been discussed, but I don't ever recall Beecher being mentioned. I don't know whether or not any of our members ever lived in Beecher or the Pheasant Lake Estates. Perhaps one of our many realtors can tell you more about the area?
The demographics of Beecher are suburbanites (or perhaps suburban transplants) who want to live in the country. It's a very different demographic than something you'll find in the REAL schtics of Illinois.. Beecher is NOT a "farming commuting". There are plenty of cornfields in Beecher but the farmers most likely don't live there..

Commuting to downtown Chicago from Beecher is doable. Commuting to the south side of Chicago isn't bad at all. Commuting to south suburban Cook County or Northwest Indiana is easy.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:07 PM

If farming is "shtick" (a comedy routine), I don't know what real work is. The cost to rent a bare, full section, of prime farmland in Illinois is $60-$65,000 annually.

Whether or not taxes are a deal breaker depends upon the quality of education you want your child to have. The largest portion of Illinois real estate taxes supports county and city schools. The last time I looked, Will County schools received no state or federal funding.

Last edited by linicx; 05-27-2013 at 12:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois