Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 PM

7 posts, read 9,683 times

Advertisements

Hi, so I'm planning on moving out of Rockford next year and I currently have a couple places in mind that may be perfect to relocate to, my top 5 choices are:

1. Chicago, IL
2. Seattle, WA
3. San Francisco, CA
4. Los Angeles, CA
5. New York City, NY

I want to be a RN which might give me more options. What would be affordable for a RN income and how is the social life in each city?
P.S: I'm single with no children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
A nurse with a PhD makes top dollar; they're six-figure executives. The nurse with a Masters makes more than a nurse with Bachelors. An RN with no degree is paid less than an RN than a degree. Living in Chicago is not cheap, but in conoarison is it cheaper than living on either coast.

I greatly admire nurses. If I wanted to be a nurse I would be looking at a multidisciplinary, tertiary, teaching hospital with a nursing program where I could live on campus and work at the hospital while I was earning my R.N.- especially if it offered advanced training. Being exposed to specialities and working with student doctors in a high tech environment is not the worst thing that could happen. It might be an edge over an RN who didn't have the same opportunity. More training = more pay. If you like a specialty and you're really good at it, you'll be in demand and that too translates into money. .

Old 07-17-2013, 06:32 AM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
Hands down, Chicago is the most affordable of any of the options you listed. It's not even close.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:58 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
The relatively small footprint of Seattle vs Chicago's large de-developed areas still inside the city limits skews the housing cost comparison but otherwise the broad Seattle region is probably a better choice when comparing all factors. Opportunities for young people are far better in many fields in that region.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:40 AM

A few years ago a friend who was raised in Chicago moved to Seattle for a job, and returned 10 years later due to the high COL. After a few months of searching and not finding a job she visited a cousin downstate. She found a job in Peoria and moved three years ago. She 's been here a couple of years now. She said living in Peoria was not like anything her friends in Chicago told her.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM

7 posts, read 9,683 times
Okay, but can I get more opinions on the other places I listed other than Chicago and Seattle? What's the social life in each city and what city pays RN the most?

Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM

Logically hospitals like Mount Sinai in Santa Monica where the 'star's go pay well. Your social life will depend upon where live, what you like, who your friends are, and how much money you spend on your social life. A CNA I know who works for a home care provider is paid about $11.50 base pay and works 32 hours.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:47 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_inRockford View Post
Okay, but can I get more opinions on the other places I listed other than Chicago and Seattle? What's the social life in each city and what city pays RN the most?
You'd probably want to ask people who live in those areas, such as in the New York and California forums.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 PM

10 posts, read 23,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapped_inRockford View Post
Hi, so I'm planning on moving out of Rockford next year and I currently have a couple places in mind that may be perfect to relocate to, my top 5 choices are:

1. Chicago, IL
2. Seattle, WA
3. San Francisco, CA
4. Los Angeles, CA
5. New York City, NY

I want to be a RN which might give me more options. What would be affordable for a RN income and how is the social life in each city?
P.S: I'm single with no children.
Honestly??
I'd stay in the Rockford area where the cost of living is dirt cheap. Perhaps a country town east of there, belvidere, garden prairie, genoa, kingston area

Low rent, low cost of living.

Then I'd hop my happy butt on the interstate 3 days a week and do 12 hr shifts in Chicago--where the pay is better.

I'd never live in Chicago---the cost of living won't offset that pay increase. Nurses in Rockford make fairly good money too---but the opportunities are much greater in Chicago.

Crappy 2 bedroom house in the ghetto near Chicago can run you over 300k. Vs 40k in Rockford area.

You do the math.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:05 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockforddoesntrock View Post
Honestly??
I'd stay in the Rockford area where the cost of living is dirt cheap. Perhaps a country town east of there, belvidere, garden prairie, genoa, kingston area

Low rent, low cost of living.

Then I'd hop my happy butt on the interstate 3 days a week and do 12 hr shifts in Chicago--where the pay is better.

I'd never live in Chicago---the cost of living won't offset that pay increase. Nurses in Rockford make fairly good money too---but the opportunities are much greater in Chicago.

Crappy 2 bedroom house in the ghetto near Chicago can run you over 300k. Vs 40k in Rockford area.

You do the math.
Before doing math, how about some research and logic on your part? You can find decent townhomes, condos and modest homes for $300K and less in decent neighborhoods and suburbs.

Yup, I sure do want to drive 90-120 minutes after a 12 hour shift when I am bone tired! Yup, that sure sounds logical

No doubt cost of living is cheaper in and around Rockford. ANd I am not a Rockford basher. BUT to suggest living in Rockford and working in or near Chicago is il-logical and borders on ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois