Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 11:27 PM

15 posts, read 41,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
In the 1960s everything south of State and Madison was Southern Illinois. It's a my dogs bigger than yours mentality, and it doesn't speak well of Chicago residents.

Look on a map. If there is a Northen Illinois and a Southern Illinois, what is in the middle chopped chicken liver maybe?

Will and Kankakee counties identify with Chicago, Stark, Marshall, Woodford, Tazewell, Fulton, Peoria, Mason, Champaign, Mclean, Logan, Sangamon, Cass, Knox counties all identify with some part/region/location in Central Illinois.
I do live in Central Illinois about 40 miles or so southwest of Peoria. My cousin lives on US 24 in Quincy. It is about 90m due east to my door.

She says she lives in the western most part of Central Illinois near the Mississippi River. "We call it Western Illinois but it really isn't. It's a destination to most travelers. No, QC is not in our area."

You can also tell a bit about an area by the phone prefix. 309 and 217 are in Central Ilinois. 815 is north and 618 is south.
Why are you so convinced that your own perception of how regions should be defined, based on your own reading of a map, supercede how local residents define their own regions? Most people don't care how their town appears on a map. Our communities socialize us to perceive our towns in relation to a certain area with a shared subculture. And area codes? They may count for something in the Chicago suburbs, but Quincians have more in common with 573 across the river than with the other side of 217 in Danville.

It sounds like you live in a gray area. Maybe your neighbors think of themselves as West Central Illinois, an adjunct of Central Illinois. Quincians don't. It's our region and our prerogative.

The only people who live on Highway 24 in Quincy are on 3rd or 4th streets. I've never heard anyone in town define their street as "US 24." "QC is not in our area" is vague, depending on relational distance. It's not a few miles away, but Moline/Rock Island does call itself Western Illinois, which is a large region. It sounds like your cousin was explaining things in ways you understand, knowing you're a foreigner, and apparently one who won't rest until someone confirms your incorrect facts.

Give it up. You can define your own space all you want, but stop telling me where I'm from. It's arrogant and disrespectful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 08:31 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
My cousin has lived in Quincy most of her life. Her children live in the QC. I think she knows exactly where she lives.

Old 09-16-2013, 09:17 AM

Factually, the western border of Illinois is the Mississippi River. One can say they live in Western Illinois on the Mississippi River and be correct. Quincy is on the Mississippi River, too, but it not near the Wisconsin border or near St. Louis. One might look at a map and find where US 24 enters Quincy and follow it East across the middle of the state. it does pass through Fulton and Tazewell Counties, and perhaps in Peoria County due to a recent re-routing. These are counties in central Illinois just as much as are Adams, Menard, and Cass Counties. It makes no difference who one identifies with or why. It doesn't change facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skimster View Post
Why are you so convinced that your own perception of how regions should be defined, based on your own reading of a map, supercede how local residents define their own regions? Most people don't care how their town appears on a map. Our communities socialize us to perceive our towns in relation to a certain area with a shared subculture. And area codes? They may count for something in the Chicago suburbs, but Quincians have more in common with 573 across the river than with the other side of 217 in Danville.

It sounds like you live in a gray area. Maybe your neighbors think of themselves as West Central Illinois, an adjunct of Central Illinois. Quincians don't. It's our region and our prerogative.

The only people who live on Highway 24 in Quincy are on 3rd or 4th streets. I've never heard anyone in town define their street as "US 24." "QC is not in our area" is vague, depending on relational distance. It's not a few miles away, but Moline/Rock Island does call itself Western Illinois, which is a large region. It sounds like your cousin was explaining things in ways you understand, knowing you're a foreigner, and apparently one who won't rest until someone confirms your incorrect facts.

Give it up. You can define your own space all you want, but stop telling me where I'm from. It's arrogant and disrespectful.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:19 AM

18 posts, read 45,170 times
Thanks to those of you who replied to my original post! I should have mentioned that I am originally from a Chicago suburb and i have visited Quincy before. My brother now lives there and is pretty happy. I would like to live near family and he is all I have. But I and my family are very much Austin folks (all my kids born there) now, liberal, agnostic, outdoorsy, active, love diversity, foodies…good restaurants. There excellent school choices in Austin as well and we love our kids schools. I have done as much online research as I can about Quincy and I conclude we wouldn't fit in well. My brother and his family are conservative and Christian so they are better fits I think. I do find the people in Quincy to be very nice and kind. Other threads say it is hard to really feel like you fit in as an outsider.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:34 AM

Moving from Austin to Quincy would be a culture shock for your kids. Small towns are wont to be clannish; really small towns are worse. Generally speaking Quincy is very conservative in most things, but it is a river town which means it is not as radical as others.

I've had a home in IL most of my life. I lived and worked in Chicago three different times. I like Chicago but not to live there as I like personal space. There is only one town in Illinois that reminds me of a smaller version of Chicago from the sprawling riverfront to the wide variety in all things including outdoor activities. It's about an hour from your brother. I think it has a nice balance of politics, entertainment, religion and business. There is a niche for everyone who likes a more laid back, less structured, environment.

If you are curious send me a DM.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,273 times
I found this post and think it ironic as we currently live in Austin and my husband has an opportunity for work in Quincy. I have a 4 year old and an 8 year old with dyslexia. I am extremely concerned over the schools in the area as they don't seem to test well. Are the schools really that bad??

Old 01-19-2016, 08:15 AM

The schools are as good as the teachers and the parents who support their kids and the school they attend. Tje Illinois K-8 schools have always been decent. High schools across the country all have the same issue. They are all filled with teenagers,

If you help your child with his homework, attend parent-teacher conferences, attend school board meetings, attend school functions, attend aports/band event your child participates in, and build a relationship with each teacher and each school principal. If you do these things your child will be a good student, able to help his sibling, and he ready for life when s/he graduates from high school.

Some times the job of getting past nonsense search returns is defeating.

The school number is 1+217.228.7254 for special education. The regular school number is 1+217.223.8700. Your child probably will be in a regular classroom. S/he will probbly get extra help as needed. You will probably want to speak to a Miss Erin Bxxxxx at the first number listed. I suspect you really won't learn much until your child is enrolled.

I have some information to send you privately in a PM. To find it look by your name when you log on. It is in the upper right hand corner. Under it fine DIRECT MESSAGES: Unread 0. When the 0 changes you know you have a message. If you lose it, I can resend it.

This part of your resources. http://www.qpsfoundation.org/history/

Last edited by linicx; 01-19-2016 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois