Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 02:11 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times

Advertisements

hula, with your concerns location is the bigger issue. It is very unlikely the governor will allow mining near the largest populations, very productive farmland, large universities or busy Intrastate routes downstate. I believe the Peoria, Springfield, Normal, and Champaign areas will remain undisturbed. As far as I know there has never been a productive coal mine, silica deposit, or surface mining near these towns. The strip mining in Fulton and Woodford counties ended many years ago. The nearest strip mine was probably 25-30 miles SW of the center of the City Peoria.

The deepest closed coal mines are near the Indiana border SSW of Danville. These mines were as deep as 800 feet. To my knowledge there is nothing like this any where near the intrastate route foundation of I-39, I-74, and I-55. Also I am not convinced the feds would allow this type of mining near major federal routes. E/W US 150, US 136, and US 24, as well as N/S IL 51 and IL 29. All pass through large areas of population in Central Illinois most notably Peoria, Normal or Springfield. This area alone is over 500,000 population and nearly 3,000 square miles of farm land. It is nothing to sneer at when one considers the dire consequences of disruptive mining and toxic water.

Illinois is in the heart of the nations "bread basket" and the Beef and Grain Belt. Toxic water in this area would be a economic disaster when considering the millions of dollars in gross exports from the 13 county area of farms and ranches near these four cities.

In Southern Illinois there is one of, if not the richest, un-mined coal field in the Midwest. Indiana has the next richest coal field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 04:17 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
hula, with your concerns location is the bigger issue. It is very unlikely the governor will allow mining near the largest populations, very productive farmland, large universities or busy Intrastate routes downstate. I believe the Peoria, Springfield, Normal, and Champaign areas will remain undisturbed. As far as I know there has never been a productive coal mine, silica deposit, or surface mining near these towns. The strip mining in Fulton and Woodford counties ended many years ago. The nearest strip mine was probably 25-30 miles SW of the center of the City Peoria.

The deepest closed coal mines are near the Indiana border SSW of Danville. These mines were as deep as 800 feet. To my knowledge there is nothing like this any where near the intrastate route foundation of I-39, I-74, and I-55. Also I am not convinced the feds would allow this type of mining near major federal routes. E/W US 150, US 136, and US 24, as well as N/S IL 51 and IL 29. All pass through large areas of population in Central Illinois most notably Peoria, Normal or Springfield. This area alone is over 500,000 population and nearly 3,000 square miles of farm land. It is nothing to sneer at when one considers the dire consequences of disruptive mining and toxic water.

Illinois is in the heart of the nations "bread basket" and the Beef and Grain Belt. Toxic water in this area would be a economic disaster when considering the millions of dollars in gross exports from the 13 county area of farms and ranches near these four cities.

In Southern Illinois there is one of, if not the richest, un-mined coal field in the Midwest. Indiana has the next richest coal field.
Great info, thanks. Two articles really got my attention.

'Sand sharks' circling Starved Rock State Park? | Chicago News

Southern Illinois Unprepared for Social Costs of Fracking Boom | Will Reynolds

Old 12-01-2013, 05:15 AM

You're welcome, hula. My brother works in this industry. I have a basic understanding of the process, and the social issues associated with transient employees. The Illinois legislators who voted for this do not have fracking, mining, or transients in their backyard.

If you look on a map you will see that Peoria, B-N, and Springfield are not near the fracking or mining. It is very unlikely it will happen anywhere near Champaign, either, as it is the home of the University of Illinois (UIUC). This little ol' school probably has close to 40,000 students, teachers, and researchers. B-N probably close to 30,000 at ISU. Both towns have large university high schools, too. Peoria is a STEM city with a medical school, five hospitals, and research facilities (one is federal). Peoria and Springfield have populations over 100,000, plus Springfield is the State Capital.

Starved Rock is historical, but it is also isolated. The real affect will probably be seen in deforestation and the disruption of wildlife habitat that has existed for millions of years. The legislators are more likely to see coyote and deer in the backyard before they eve smell the stench of fracking, or see the oil bums.

Old 12-02-2013, 01:53 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
You're welcome, hula. My brother works in this industry. I have a basic understanding of the process, and the social issues associated with transient employees. The Illinois legislators who voted for this do not have fracking, mining, or transients in their backyard.

If you look on a map you will see that Peoria, B-N, and Springfield are not near the fracking or mining. It is very unlikely it will happen anywhere near Champaign, either, as it is the home of the University of Illinois (UIUC). This little ol' school probably has close to 40,000 students, teachers, and researchers. B-N probably close to 30,000 at ISU. Both towns have large university high schools, too. Peoria is a STEM city with a medical school, five hospitals, and research facilities (one is federal). Peoria and Springfield have populations over 100,000, plus Springfield is the State Capital.

Starved Rock is historical, but it is also isolated. The real affect will probably be seen in deforestation and the disruption of wildlife habitat that has existed for millions of years. The legislators are more likely to see coyote and deer in the backyard before they eve smell the stench of fracking, or see the oil bums.
I hope you're right about the areas that won't be fracked, but I have read it would be close to them. Crime is a real issue with this. I have family in NEPA and know it is quite high there. Also tripled rents causing locals to become homeless and shelters needed for the first time ever.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/us....html?hp&_r=3&

Old 12-03-2013, 11:15 PM

"Close" is subjective. Peoria County, for instance, follows the course of tthe Illinois river from the IL 29/9/24 junction NW to a common order with Marshall County. The City of Peoria sprawls N/NW from the river to the county/city line near the point where 1-74 and 474 merges and perhaps further. In this area area 5 major bridges, 4 federal roads, 4 Il routes, plus a number of trestles, and a busy airport. It is a port city with land, water, air and rail transportation. Peoria was built among cliffs and high hills. The other towns mentioned don't sprawl. Generally, each is more grid-like in nature, and is located in or near the vast flat, fertile Illinois Prairie.

My guess it is easier to drill in soil that is not hardpan and clay, than it is to drill through a billion-year-old mountain. I don't know. I've read about the process, the companies that do it, and talked about it. Hopefully our Chicago legislators will not alloy these companies to destroy green Illinois that has hundreds of acres of parks, forests, and ancient windbreaks.
All it takes is one rogue operator to cause a major headache to wildlife sanctuaries and four zoological parks.

The possibilities of what could go wrong deserve more than a cursory look by people who don't understand it, and have never seen it.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:56 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Why does the Joni Mitchell song with the refrain "paved paradise and put up a parking lot" run through my mind after reading about the Sand Sharks near Starved Rock and Fracking??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois