Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 05:21 PM

43 posts, read 61,193 times

Advertisements

Im very interested in moving to chicago but id love to live in a safe area and near a italian area if possibe Ive written in the NY,NJ,RI,PA forums and people have shown me respect and gave me advise but no one here does why are people really this rude In chicago? Any nice advise I get Ill be thankful for it.

im from LA and i want to move to the east coast or mid west i just need a change plus im italian and french i wanna move to a place with more of a italian community.
im from LA and i want to move to the east coast or mid west i just need a change plus im italian and french i wanna move to a place with more italian's that is safe any ideas? Oh Im 27 years old im a independent woman whos single with no kids and I have no ties to stay stuck anywhere. I own my own business's and will be opening some locations where I move to.

Need Help! Im born and raised in Cali but im over it here I need a change I wanna move to the east coast or the mid west. Im Italian and french and I would love to live near more Italian's and in a safe clean area Which areas have more Italians? What states ? and hows the cost of living? I have a very hard time meeting other Italians in LA so that's why i wanna move. ny help I wanna know everything thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 PM

1,131 posts, read 2,025,968 times
This particular forum tends to be frequented mostly by "downstaters" who aren't familiar with the specifics of Chicago neighborhoods and their ethnic make-up.

I would highly recommend you try the Chicago sub-forum.

That said, are there really "Italian neighborhoods" outside of New York anymore? Are there even any there?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:30 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Fifty years ago I lived in an Italian neighborhood in a Chicago suburb. It is not there now. The once easy to find ethnic groups aged, died, and moved into other suburbs, other counties, or out of state.

You will probably have different results if you ask in the Chicago Suburb Forum.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetvenom1986 View Post

Im very interested in moving to chicago but id love to live in a safe area and near a italian area if possibe Ive written in the NY,NJ,RI,PA forums and people have shown me respect and gave me advise but no one here does why are people really this rude In chicago?
You're posting in the wrong forum. It has nothing to do with rudeness. Go to the Chicago forum.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
Fifty years ago I lived in an Italian neighborhood in a Chicago suburb. It is not there now. The once easy to find ethnic groups aged, died, and moved into other suburbs, other counties, or out of state.
There really hasn't been any significant inflow of "new" Italian immigrants in at least 60 years. The descendants of the occupants of the old Italian ethic neighborhoods have largely assimilated (often "cross-marrying" with other ethic groups) and mostly dispersed into the suburbs. Without a fresh-stream of new Italian Immigrants to replace those that have left, the old Italian ethnic neighborhoods have faded. The strongest ethic neighborhoods tend to be those that still tap a supply of newcomers to replace those who disperse... currently Mexican, East European, and Asian. In many cases those neighborhoods are the same ones that were strongly Italian 2 or 3 generations ago.

Last edited by madpaddy; 09-13-2013 at 04:27 PM..

Old 09-14-2013, 01:13 AM

I lived in Berwyn, and not too far from a Czech restaurants, and the Polish butcher. I doubt very much you'd find Italian Ice. hand made brats, or bread dumplings today. But you might. My neighbors were probably in their mid 60s and still spoke their native language when I lived there. I am quite sure they died and probably in the only home they ever lived in. It is not the same place. Those really were very good days. No street gangs and peaceful nights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
There really hasn't been any significant inflow of "new" Italian immigrants in at least 60 years. The descendants of the occupants of the old Italian ethic neighborhoods have largely assimilated (often "cross-marrying" with other ethic groups) and mostly dispersed into the suburbs. Without a fresh-stream of new Italian Immigrants to replace those that have left, the old Italian ethnic neighborhoods have faded. The strongest ethic neighborhoods tend to be those that still tap a supply of newcomers to replace those who disperse... currently Mexican, East European, and Asian. In many cases those neighborhoods are the same ones that were strongly Italian 2 or 3 generations ago.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I lived in Berwyn, and not too far from a Czech restaurants, and the Polish butcher. I doubt very much you'd find Italian Ice. hand made brats, or bread dumplings today. But you might. My neighbors were probably in their mid 60s and still spoke their native language when I lived there. I am quite sure they died and probably in the only home they ever lived in. It is not the same place. Those really were very good days. No street gangs and peaceful nights.

Yeah, Berwyn's nearly 60% Hispanic now. Nearby Cicero, which was another strong East European enclave (Czech, Russian, Slavic) into the 70's is now 90% Hispanic.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:10 PM

I don't know this to be true, but at one tine Cicero had a bad rep for mafia, gambling and girls. You can fill in the blanks.

Quote:
Yeah, Berwyn's nearly 60% Hispanic now. Nearby Cicero, which was another strong East European enclave (Czech, Russian, Slavic) into the 70's is now 90% Hispanic.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I don't know this to be true, but at one tine Cicero had a bad rep for mafia, gambling and girls. You can fill in the blanks.

Its true that Capone ran his operation out of Cicero when the heat from the Chicago Police became too much.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:07 PM

It's true Capone did a lot of stuff. It's why I always liked Chicago and Royko.

Quote:
Its true that Capone ran his operation out of Cicero when the heat from the Chicago Police became too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois