Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 PM

29 posts, read 110,220 times

Advertisements

Since I will be 50 years old soon I have started thinking about where I and my husband might want to live after I retire. That's at least 15 years away, but it's not too soon to start looking at possibilities.

We currently live in the city of Springfield IL and while there is much we like about it, both of us were born and raised in rural areas or small towns downstate and we would like to return to that kind of lifestyle if we can.

A lot of people like to move far away to warmer/lower tax places like Florida, Texas, Arizona, etc. but I don't think that's really feasible for us. Just making trips to those areas to investigate places to live, possible part-time/supplemental employment, etc. would be too expensive and time consuming for us, plus, we have no relatives or friends living in these places.

With that in mind, I'm limiting our initial search to places within about a 250-mile radius of SPI, and preferably south of I-80. That covers most of downstate IL, the southern half of IA, all or almost all of IN and MO, and a slice of western KY. We could easily explore this area via short day trips or weekend trips that would cost us just one night in a motel plus a couple of tanks of gas.

Some of the criteria we would be looking for include:

1. Small plots of land (1-3 acres is all we would need, just enough for a garden and maybe a shed or garage for tinkering around in) that are affordable both in terms of purchase price and in real estate taxes.

2. Good soil and ground water supplies.

3. Reasonable, but not excessive, regulations/laws regarding what you can and cannot do with your property.

4. Far enough away from major metro areas that a) it's not likely to be overrun by future development and b) it might provide at least some protection in the event of a SHTF event making urban/suburban areas unsafe to live in. That said...

5. ... we'd also like to be within 50-100 miles of a full service hospital in case of illness or emergency, and being within the same distance to a 2- or 4-year college or university to take advantage of continuing education opportunities, cultural events, etc. would be a plus.

6. Reasonably friendly environment for newcomers. Though we are country people at heart, respect the rural independent lifestyle, and are pretty conservative socially and politically, we're not exactly hard core rednecks, for lack of a better way to put it.

7. Low cost of living overall.

8. Access to outdoor recreational opportunities (state parks, fishing, hunting, boating, etc.)

I know we're not likely to find absolutely everything in one place but mainly I'm just looking for some suggestions of areas to explore. I will be posting this message on some other forums as well. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 03:07 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
The good news is you can go 50 mile N of Spfld on 97N and find most of what you want in Mason County. It borders the Illinois River; you can find a boat launch and marina. Land is sandy loam. Decent small hospital with life flight to Spfld or Pia. County is over an aquifer; all you need is a sand point well. The only IL state park is not too far from US 136/IL29. Mason and Fulton counties are home to the largest inland wetland wildlife refuge in America; 12-13,000 acres to fish, boat and hunt in season. There is 2 year colleges nearby, otherwise look at Normal(1), Peoria (3), Eureka(1), McComb(1), Bloomington(1), and Spfld(?). There are a total of 14 hospitals within the 50 -100 miles in 7 counties: Peoria(5), Woodford(1), Tazewell(1), Mason (1), Fulton(1), McLean(2), and Sangamon(3) counties. IL 97, IL 78, IL 29, US 136, US 24 either enters Mason County or is a feeder route into Mason County. There are 7 bridges that cross the IL river. Peoria (4), Pekin (2), and Havana (1). The next bridge south is at Beardstown.

I've lived in large towns and small for many years in many states. This is my experience.
1. Most city folks don't want to live in the middle of cornfields.
2. County zoning laws are not nearly as restrictive, but you still have state laws that prohibit burning anything but is not what nature gives ya in Illinois.
3. Most rural area are conservative.
4. County seats have the best internet which isn't very fast. It slows as you move farther out of the county seat. It is true everywhere.
5. County real estate taxes are cheaper than city taxes. Some county taxes are cheaper than others.
6. When you reach a specific age the taxes are reduced for age and other qualifiers. It is income based.
7. Rural towns are isolated and 10-20 miles apart. Most of the county emergency services are located in county seats. The farther you are from the county seat the longer it takes for emergency service to arrive. It is especially true in deep snow covered ice.
8. In terms of weather, the federal, and state highways are cleared first, followed by city, county, and township. If you hide in the middle of the county you may consider a F 350 with a 4x4 and plow. It will make money when it snows. Your nearest neighbor may be 5 miles away. You may not have utilities.
9. Most rural towns in IL are very small. People are suspicious of strangers. If you shop local (it is expensive), bank local, attend church local, and get involved it is much easier.
0. Utility are expensive. The only way to keep utilities down is to insulate your house well.
1. IL does not tax pension or SS yet.
2. IL has a flat tax; others do not.
3. IL has terrific services for seniors. others may have some or none. .
4. IL has pretty good medical care from top to bottom; not all states do.
5. IL has pretty good health standards; not all states do. #4 and #5 only matters in a major medical crisis. You don't really don't understand this until you are faced with doctors who should not be licensed and the filthy hospital.

I played the medical games for 20 years before we returned to Illinois for excellent end-of-life palliative care and to get away from the hospital owned clinics. Lincare in Spfld helped me build a hospice at home.

Living rural in Illinois is not bad at all. Sometimes it is annoying to realize you will drive 25 miles for Aldi's and 50 for Shnucks or Costco or shopping centers. If you like to shop Peoria has couple of malls and a dozen shopping centers and a 100 restaurants.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:12 AM

3,401 posts, read 3,072,302 times
Land in Mason County, IL is going at prime rate these days, as the same for several surrounding counties. I have been to some land auctions in this area, and have seen the land go for up to $14,000 per acre.

And real estate taxes in Central Illinois are very high at this time.

Illinois sky high property taxes 2nd-highest in nation

Here are a couple of article links relative to land cost. In one,in 2011, land sold for over $11,000 in Mason County and it is even higher these days. I would recommend a county which has less valuable land costs. Most surrounding counties are just as high or even higher.

Illinois farmland tops $11,000 per acre | Business content from Farm Industry News

Mason County sale will gauge 2012 farmland prices - Peoria, IL - pjstar.com

Old 10-31-2013, 02:13 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,454,353 times
You really need to balance where you live in retirement, with what possible medical issues you may have. That being said, staying relatively close to Springfield should be in your top considerations. I really like Chatham and the surrounding areas to the South of Springfield.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM

1,128 posts, read 2,006,290 times
I would look at Indiana

Old 10-31-2013, 04:08 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,104,201 times
Here is recent farm land sales in Mason and Fulton counties. Yes IL taxes are obnoxious but not nearly as expensive as in Cook County. IL Seniors do get a break in taxes if they meet income requirements.

Mason County: Hunting Ground Listings
Fulton, Knox, Marshall, Cass counties:
Illinois Real Estate Properties, Residential Properties, Agricultural Properties, Commercial Properties - Gorsuch-Hensley Real Estate & Auction

Producing farm land is sold differently; it's commercial, buildings are sold separately. Rural county property is normally a house and lot. Plated subdivision may offer 3-4 acre lots but building is restricted; it's generally residential with no commercial operations, hen houses, etc., allowed. Where the property is in a county determines many things including cost. .

As a whole I think you will find Mason County property and taxes in the Illinois River Valley (Stark, Marshall, Woodford, Peoria, Tazewell, Fulton and Mason counties) is as attractive as any in this area. The counties of Brown, Knox, Logan, Menard, and McLean adjoin the valley counties.

Land quality varies from county to county. Mason has is sandy black loam mix that offers a good growing medium. As far as living I like the black soil in Logan around the Lincoln area and the same around Eureka in Woodford County. In counties it is not all that unusual to find a house/garage on 3/4 to a full acre (roughly 200x200 sq. ft.) under $100,000 depending upon the county. If you are thinking about growing to sell, Peoria has a very nice permanent farmer's market in the Metro Centre on University 2 stoplights north of War Memorial Drive (US 150).

Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 PM

29 posts, read 110,220 times
I should probably clarify that I'm not looking for prime farmland, just a piece of ground that could grow some vegetables, fruits and herbs -- enough for us to eat and can and maybe sell at a local stand or farmer's market to supplement our income (it would NOT be our main source of income). By "good water supply" I mean that it is not exceptionally difficult to dig a well and that wells don't easily run dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois