Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 02:32 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know of any books about the storied history of Cairo? The only one I can find was written around 1910 which of course leaves out a huge portion of it's history and current condition.

I enjoy photography and urban decay in particular. I've been told about Cairo on more than one occasion and I've been able to glen some info from the internet but I'm looking to get my hands on a historical account of the towns demise. I'd love to visit one day.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 03:11 PM

6 posts, read 13,458 times
There is Let My People Go: Cairo, Illinois, 1967-1973 by Jan Peterson Roddy is the only more modern book that I know of. There might be others. There is a documentary that was filmed a few years ago called Between Two Rivers about Cairo as well. It is an interesting little town. The first time we visited was in the early 90's. We stopped for a picnic lunch on our way to Arkansas from Rantoul, IL.

When I moved to Carbondale a little over 8 years ago for graduate school I went exploring there a few times. I went in the Fall of 2008 and stopped at a gas station to get a coke and on the way out this middle aged black man asked me if I had a cigarette. As I was telling him no the store clerk came out with a gun shouting at him to get away from the white girl. I didn't feel threatened by the guy asking for a cigarette but the crazy guy with the gun scared me.

Old 11-20-2013, 07:27 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,756,429 times
Back when I was attending SIU in Carbondale I can remember seeing ads for several businesses on the local TV station. This was in 1972. I'm sure they no longer exist. I hear there's not much left there except a barbecue place on main street and perhaps a convenient store and gas station. I saw that "Between Two Rivers" movie on the internet. It was fascinating indeed to think that town was once a thriving metropolis and major shipping hub with vast financial resources. Banks, schools, retail stores and manufacturing. It's almost unthinkable how it could possibly disintegrate to the point of non existence as it has. But a read of the racial issues there makes it more clear. That was going on during my time in Carbondale but I admit I didn't pay a lot of attention to it.

Old 11-20-2013, 01:47 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,174,626 times
Thanks. I'll look into Let My People Go and Between Two Rivers.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:30 PM

47 posts, read 82,832 times
Default "Far From Home"

Try "Far from Home: Life and Loss in Two American Towns," a 1991 title by Ron Powers. Half of the book is devoted to Cairo and discusses more recent history, including attempts to re-vitalize.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:34 AM

384 posts, read 383,138 times
The Abraham Presidential Library and Museum has a lot of books about Illinois history. You might call them and ask if they can recommend some books. Their number is 217-524-6358.

Old 09-10-2015, 12:57 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Does anyone know of any books about the storied history of Cairo? The only one I can find was written around 1910 which of course leaves out a huge portion of it's history and current condition.

I enjoy photography and urban decay in particular. I've been told about Cairo on more than one occasion and I've been able to glen some info from the internet but I'm looking to get my hands on a historical account of the towns demise. I'd love to visit one day.
I would be interested in learning more too. It looks terribly blighted on streetview, just like East St. Louis. Have there been any recent attemps to revive it and how did that work out? (Although I kind of know the answer to the last question already)

Old 09-10-2015, 03:38 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
^
You will not find much at all left in Cairo or the county that it is located in (Alexander). There are now fewer than 7500 people remaining, a decline of more than 9% since 2010. You will find a lot of remnants from the past, though.
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/17/17003.html

Old 09-12-2015, 02:35 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune about Cairo. Not very positive though. It appears they still have a subway and a Ford dealership. I wonder how a car dealership is sustainable in a poor city with fewer than 3000 people.

Below Cairo lies 'Future city' which is basically empty streets with some boarded up homes left.

I wonder why they don't try to revive it by turning it into a tourist attraction, it is pretty impressive where the two rivers meet.

Old 09-12-2015, 09:21 PM

219 posts, read 377,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Here is an article from the Chicago Tribune about Cairo. Not very positive though. It appears they still have a subway and a Ford dealership. I wonder how a car dealership is sustainable in a poor city with fewer than 3000 people.

Below Cairo lies 'Future city' which is basically empty streets with some boarded up homes left.

I wonder why they don't try to revive it by turning it into a tourist attraction, it is pretty impressive where the two rivers meet.
There is no infrastructure in Cairo....local politicians are corrupt....the town is falling down around its citizens. What isn't deteriorating on its own, locals are burning down. The town is riddled with crime. Businesses will not go there....it's sad. It really is as dangerous, if not more dangerous than East St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois